SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:18 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Nacelle mounting.

So in thinking about mounting the nacelles, I wanted to be able to finish the fuselage, sand and cover it all, THEN place the nacelles and motors on my bird. So I had to comeup with a removable setup that I can glue together later.

After I determined distance and height to mount, I cut a slot and slid in the mounting stick on my nacelle. Then with a 1/2" straight edge I followed the outlines of the fuselage and nacelle onto a bit of foam to shape a flairing outline. Some blocks of foam were fashoned to be glued into the fuselage to set the positions of everything, and to serve later to have a good surface to glue everything to them.

Fred

Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
So I went back and made a second set of tail feathers, this time covering them with 'OOO" Silkspan. My trick now is I use an Acrylic floorwax, called Pledge, and I make sure the bottle say "Now with Future Shine' on it. Future floorwax is gone, and now re-labled as Pledge, with Future shine. It's like water thin, smells pretty good, and makes the Silkspan laydown great. High volume of water makes it a bit slow to dry. It is fragile enough to peel right off when dry, so I then followup with a 50/50 mix of Tightbond II Glue and water (Yellow Carpenters Glue). At that point it is good to go, and sands up nice!

So note I have done up a set of vertical tail parts, even cut out rudders, hinge slots cut, and edges sealed with further layer of Silkspan/Glue. I have saved 4 grams. Add all the square inches up that make the outside of my aircraft and the weight savings will be plenty.

A side note is I also tried laying down Gift Wrap Tissue to foam using Pledge w/Future, and if you don't over stretch or rub too much, it makes a great medium for such action. Glue or Polycrylic as a second coat (after drying) is still needed.

Fred
A couple questions Freddie ,do you like the glue method or the polycrylic better and last but not least where have you been buying your silkspan at these days ? joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:03 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
A couple questions Freddie ,do you like the glue method or the polycrylic better and last but not least where have you been buying your silkspan at these days ? joe
For Newsprint, I used 50/50 Yellow Carpenter's glue (Tightbond II) first, then either another coat of Glue, Floor wax or Polycrylic. The newsprint will soak up several coats and still want to wrinkle . Gets better and better each coat, and heavier! Too much work. But good on the nacelles to set them in stone for shape reasons.

For Silkspan, I now use floor wax (Pledge, with Future Shine) to lay it on, then 50/50 Yellow Carpenter's glue (Tightbond II), second. Seems then we sand, good to go.

I am trying to limit the Polycrylic right now as it is sort of costly and they don't have it in Europe and other Countries often.

I got my last Silkspan from Tower Hobbies. They had K&S brand. So maybe if you don't use Tower, search for K&S Silkspan. I used to by Sig Silkspan. I did hear new owners bought Sig and they are back to having good stock on things???????
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:32 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

These photos show how the fairings and nacelles fit up to the fuselsage.

Fred

Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:37 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

Now I added a spacer and a top foam block. When I glue the nacelles on later, the motor stick is captured and tight. I have added holes and soda straws to guide wires to the motors also.

Fred

Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:41 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Wow!

I cleaned and cleared the workbench again. Where did everything go.......

Well it was needed so I could layout all the airframe parts to start final assembly! The airframe is going to be a bit larger than I normally build so I needed the room. This bench is 4'x4' square BTW.

Fred

Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:42 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Whew! That's some serious engineering and building taking place in that factory.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:

I cleaned and cleared the workbench again. Where did everything go.......

Well it was needed so I could layout all the airframe parts to start final assembly! The airframe is going to be a bit larger than I normally build so I needed the room. This bench is 4'x4' square BTW.

Fred

I have a lower fold up table 3ftx3ft to catch the over flow of tools and to hold my building radio , my work bench is 10 ft with 1940s flouresent 25 pound each heavy lamps at both ends so my old eyes can see. I just found a giant magnifying lamp that uses a round flouresent builb underneeth for close up work . If my eyes get any worce i will be flying big gas 3-d stuff and hover them close to me so i can see them like the rest of the nuts at my club field. lol
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:12 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
Whew! That's some serious engineering and building taking place in that factory.

Gene K
LOL, Hahahaha....... Actually this is a very relaxing build for me this time since what can be judged on a Cartoon Fatty? surely not any scale factors. I don't like covering airframes with Fiberglass, silkspan, or newsprint BTW, Yuk, yuk, yuk.

The exciting part is about to begin though! I love when we are at this point, only I don't have a bunch of time!!!!!

Fred

Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:14 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I have a lower fold up table 3ftx3ft to catch the over flow of tools and to hold my building radio , my work bench is 10 ft with 1940s flouresent 25 pound each heavy lamps at both ends so my old eyes can see. I just found a giant magnifying lamp that uses a round flouresent builb underneeth for close up work . If my eyes get any worce i will be flying big gas 3-d stuff and hover them close to me so i can see them like the rest of the nuts at my club field. lol
Lucky dog you! The bench that is, not the eye sight. Mine seems to get worse every day. I can't even see details on beautiful women, cars, or airplanes. I think I want to cry.
Last edited by Freddie B; Oct 05, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
I just went to the dollar store and bought new glasses that are stronger than the last set. My table base was built big because i had free microlambs off of my jobsites to cut down to 2x6 size for the table frame and free ply for the top. I sealed every thing before screwing it together so no water can wick in and warp it. I figured if i was going to build a nice table i might as well build a big one. When i sell this house soon, i hope the new owner likes it because its to big and heavy to take with me and wont fit out the basement doors. lmao Simce i built that one i built a smaller one on wheels that can be locked so i can put my wing on a new build and still walk around it when that time comes . I also have a foam pad i throw on the rolling table for working with foam planes or covering a balsa plane. Even tho i have alot of building top it realy means more top to stack tools and building junk on. Iam like you Freddie i keep leaving tools and stuff on my benches till i can't stand it any more and finaly clean it till the next time i need room . ' I know this part when you can finaly kinda put it together and stare at it a bit, i like that part too. joe
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:17 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Joe, you are speaking my language. My problem is I have 3 benches in the basement and that has nothing to do with the garage. Then I have 2 end tables with a bench top, my deep freeze, a roll around toolbox, my drill press and belt/disk sander ALL have junk stored on them . I won't talk about all the storage boxes that double as storage surfaces also. Sometimes I think I'll just move and leave everything.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:51 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

Slightly off topic, but not really, because it all relates to my building, or slowed building of airplanes, and a major upgrade to the man cave workshop!

Wifey had me put in carpet, which lead to paint, which lead to new appliances..... Well she wanted stainless steel, she got what she wanted. I get the older GE white spacemaker Microwave to put downstairs in my shop! . . I already have the old refridgerator, so now I almost never need to come upstairs, LOL.

Not to mention I kept the old electric oven and might pull the heating elements out to make a plastic heating unit, or jut keep it to bake all my airplane creations.... rolleyes:

WARNING: Do not, I repeat do not leave this post up on the screen, or give your wifey your password. If they find out someone else's wifey got new paint, carpet, and appliances you are doomed!

Fred

Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:56 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts

So now I screwed the wing to the fuselage, note the anti-slip screw driver for nylon bolts I showed you before. Then I glued on the stabilizer using the wing to make sure we were aligned and equal distance from tip to tip, each side. I used epoxy and a small amount of micro-balloons to fill any gaps and have a nice but small fillet.

Fred

Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:

Slightly off topic, but not really, because it all relates to my building, or slowed building of airplanes, and a major upgrade to the man cave workshop!

Wifey had me put in carpet, which lead to paint, which lead to new appliances..... Well she wanted stainless steel, she got what she wanted. I get the older GE white spacemaker Microwave to put downstairs in my shop! . . I already have the old refridgerator, so now I almost never need to come upstairs, LOL.

Not to mention I kept the old electric oven and might pull the heating elements out to make a plastic heating unit, or jut keep it to bake all my airplane creations.... rolleyes:

WARNING: Do not, I repeat do not leave this post up on the screen, or give your wifey your password. If they find out someone else's wifey got new paint, carpet, and appliances you are doomed!

Fred

NIIIICE whens the new granit tops comming.lmao New glue bottles for gorrila glue and new tips ,the bottom of the bottle is a little more squeeze friendly .I still will get it all over myself but i hope it will help to get smaller amounts on my plane. joe
Last edited by cracksmeup; Oct 08, 2012 at 01:05 PM.