SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2003, 12:00 AM
Bolivar, TN
Joined Feb 2003
332 Posts
Discussion
Single Channel Planes?

Just checking to see if anyone would like to join me in building and flying a plane with only one servo.... rudder. I know BMatthews is an expert at this and would love to find a few new converts.
This is a wild and crazy(you have to do stuff like zig-zag (S's)to keep level) way of flying a plane, but this how it all started in the 50s.
I am building a Littlest Stick that is 150% of the original size and has a .049 for power. I know this plane does well with a Black Widow and two channels at this size but I'm using the less powerful Baby Bee on this one until I learn how to fly with just rudder. I have the fuse just about finished and hope to have the wing finished this weekend.
Anyone interested in joining in?
Lynn S is offline Find More Posts by Lynn S
Last edited by Lynn S; Nov 08, 2003 at 05:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2003, 11:01 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Lynn
I've giving up getting my models oily, but your idea of SC is wild! I (and dozens of others!) flew a Littlest Stik in England back around 1990 - we used car radios as that was the only micro RX going then, a single Futaba 133 micro servo, home made micro nicad and no switch - plug it in, slap on the wing, fly until you thought you ought to quit!

The PeeWee 020 / Littlest Stik combo is wild, but I too had to go one bigger and blew it up to around 36" span with a Baby Bee.

Now the bad bit - never did get it to do better than a screaming half-loop into the ground somewhere behind me! It was frightening, and my clubmates sort of suggested that maybe I'd like to pack this one away, as our field area was so small that the parking area was too close to where this thing kept hitting.

Otherwise, flying with rudder only is a real trip - everyone should try it (once!)

Regards

Dereck
From the electric lot...
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 10, 2003, 08:36 PM
Bolivar, TN
Joined Feb 2003
332 Posts
Dereck,
I just finished framing the 150%LS yesterday, the wing is 31 1/2 inches at the leading edge.I added an extra bay to each wing panel.
Did you do a test glide with your big LS?
From reading an old single channel construction article from the early 60s they tell you that it must glide level enough to make a nice landing when you toss it into the wind? If it goes up or down just adjust the leading edge or trailing edge with shims.
I did one fuse at 175% and it was way too tall and the wings looked huge on paper. I cut that fuse down to make this 150% LS so I didn't waste any balsa. I hope to have it covered and ready this week.
Thanks for the reply. Lynn
Last edited by Lynn S; Nov 10, 2003 at 08:45 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 08:41 PM
Bolivar, TN
Joined Feb 2003
332 Posts
Here is a picture I made last night.
Notice the vertical stab. It started as a Simple Extra fin from the plans. It looked too tall so I cut it down a half inch. Now it looks like a P-51 tail. I guess I will put some WWII decals on it and some silver monokote.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 08:43 PM
Bolivar, TN
Joined Feb 2003
332 Posts
one more picture.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 11:48 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,602 Posts
But...... but..... but.......

.......that tail!?!?!?!?! IT'S NOT A STIK ANYMORE

Well, it's on YOUR shoulders if it doesn't know what to do and crashes because of that abomination of a tail....

Dereck, do one for a Speed 400 with ESC! ! ! On your last one you didn't pay attention to the cardinal rule of first time rudder only flying.....

Use WAY more downthrust than even your wildest imagination would suggest and take it out a bit at a time with test flights in between. That way it won't get away from you and smite thee in the back of the noggin.

Or if you cheat and use an ESC with a motor then you can just throttle back or off...
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Nov 11, 2003, 12:01 AM
Bolivar, TN
Joined Feb 2003
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BMatthews
But...... but..... but.......

.......that tail!?!?!?!?! IT'S NOT A STIK ANYMORE

Well, it's on YOUR shoulders if it doesn't know what to do and crashes because of that abomination of a tail....
Well it's not too late to go back to WWI....I guess the P-51 tail is a little out of place.

With all the downthrust this plane has I kinda wonder if it will fly into the ground. My two channel versions does need some up elevator just after launch, but it doesn't have the incidence built in.
Last edited by Lynn S; Nov 11, 2003 at 12:07 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:06 AM
Joined Oct 2003
55 Posts
Lynn S - trust me it won't fly into the ground if you build the incidence and downthrust per the plan. In fact, without the downthust I gar-on-tee you it would want to loop.
Fred Reese was a clever man.

Nice bare bones pics - I'm inspired now. I feel like a bit of a cheat,
but I may have to go electric on mine because of my location. I'm asking for forgiveness in advance .
Oh heck, the fuse builds so quick maybe I'll do a glow and a sparky!
alligood is offline Find More Posts by alligood
Old Nov 11, 2003, 03:09 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,602 Posts
Fin..... LOL Do what you want Lynn. It's all good.

Trust me on this. It's a lot safer for the model and less stress on your nerves if there is too MUCH downthrust to start with. The worst that'll happen is you get a few high speed descents into the tall grass that kills the engine. Keep taking out a few degrees at a time until it climbs away at the desired angle. The only dangerous point is where it goes out almost dead level. Then you have to try to do this incredibly large turn to bring it back. Or just turn it a little sharper and let it dump into some tall grass or soft bushes if they are handy.

This is a LOT better than a crazy attempt to climb and stall and loop over. The only way to damp such a mad climb is to crank over the rudder and watch the model go 'round and 'round like a whirling dervish while any wind drift takes it further and further downwind because if you even TRY to open up the circle on the side coming into the wind the nose comes up and it tries to do a layed over loop with all the speed it has. Been there, done that, got the pile of rubble to prove it. That's what bought the farm for at least two of my early tries at RC until I got a Galloping Ghost outfit and learned the magic of elevators.

Fly at a field that has tall grass to drive into so it'll kill the engine on these first few tests. Otherwise you can have it zipping all over the field like a little lawnmower. Oh, and did I mention it really, really helps to do your first few flights with only about one minute worth of fuel? It does.....
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:25 PM
Bolivar, TN
Joined Feb 2003
332 Posts
Is this better?

Bruce,
You were right the P-51 tail blew. Is this better?
Now I can put some big German crosses on it.

Thanks for all the tips on the single channel. I know they were hard earned with lots of crashed planes. The simple things make a big difference.
I was planning for a one minute flight at first. I hope it is not too wild.
For some reason I have rolls and rolls of Yellow Monokote so I know this one will be yellow too. I may add a red tail on this one.

Here is the new vertical stab enlarged to 160% to give a little more surface area.
Last edited by Lynn S; Nov 11, 2003 at 10:27 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:41 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,602 Posts
I know that looks are in the eye of the beholder but that looks SO much better to my eyes.

Actually with that shape it's not a long stetch to see either an iron cross on there or British bars with the name "Sopwith" on the tail....

Yellow? I hope it's at least transparent for the wing.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:29 AM
Joined Sep 2002
32 Posts
rudder only ?

I built a rudder only high wing plane once semi scale piper like plane with a mattel single channel and a testors .049, built it real nice, but smashed it real quick. It just kept looping out of control until it hit the ground. now I like the idea of having the elevator and rudder combo.
crafty1 is offline Find More Posts by crafty1
Old Nov 14, 2003, 04:02 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,602 Posts
Re: rudder only ?

Quote:
Originally posted by crafty1
I built a rudder only high wing plane once semi scale piper like plane with a mattel single channel and a testors .049, built it real nice, but smashed it real quick. It just kept looping out of control until it hit the ground. now I like the idea of having the elevator and rudder combo.
No guts, no glory....

Bin' there, done that, got the pieces to show for it. It took me over 30 years of flying to finally step up to the extreme challenge of rudder only... and conqueor it.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 01:05 PM
Joined Oct 2003
55 Posts
Hey Lynn S - What's your opinion on shear webs for the 150% LS - needed or not?
alligood is offline Find More Posts by alligood
Old Nov 16, 2003, 05:53 PM
Bolivar, TN
Joined Feb 2003
332 Posts
If this is between the ribs you don't need anything. Just sheet the center section of the wing. I didn't have much luck using ca glue at the leading and trailing edges where the ribs join, so I use Elmer's at those points.