HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 09:45 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson View Post
Here is a new video that was shot with 3 cameras on the QAV500. 1 GoPro in 1080p, 1 GoPro in 720p (down), and one fpv flight cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNHNg1XXkKg
Nice I want one! How much are replacement arms?
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 10:22 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Here is a new video that was shot with 3 cameras on the QAV500. 1 GoPro in 1080p, 1 GoPro in 720p (down), and one fpv flight cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNHNg1XXkKg
Very, very nice Tim!
BenHayat is offline Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old May 04, 2012, 10:23 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Paul, as long as you got two legs, who needs arms. Don't worry about the arms...

Yes, previously Tim did say, he will sell parts too. That's another good reason to buy local.
Old May 04, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Edited: I am thinking around $19-$22. A single DJI arm is around $11. What do you think?
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Last edited by timnilson; May 05, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old May 04, 2012, 11:31 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined May 2011
806 Posts
Quote:
I am thinking round $19. A single DJI arm is around $11. What do you think?
not bad at all. I thought it would be more expensive. ball park price on the entire kit?
imdone is offline Find More Posts by imdone
Old May 05, 2012, 01:35 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Quote:
I am thinking round $19. A single DJI arm is around $11. What do you think?
I guess that depends on how easily they bend/break If I have a little less than graceful landing... which never happens ...and they bend, then $19 is expensive. If they survive all but the most serious of crashes then $19 is fine for such cool looking arms

Paul
Old May 05, 2012, 01:43 AM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,261 Posts
Quote:
I guess that depends on how easily they bend/break If I have a little less than graceful landing... which never happens ...and they bend, then $19 is expensive. If they survive all but the most serious of crashes then $19 is fine for such cool looking arms

Paul
Valid point!

I think just like car manufactures, Multicopter vendors need to show a "Crash test" result

But, I think it would be very helpful if Tim makes a video of the product, showing it in detail with close up shots and explains the product, it would be a great educational material. He can show close up the look and feel of the arms and drop the frames on hard ground (no electronics please) just to show how it survives a crash.
Old May 05, 2012, 02:17 AM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
Valid point!

I think just like car manufactures, Multicopter vendors need to show a "Crash test" result

But, I think it would be very helpful if Tim makes a video of the product, showing it in detail with close up shots and explains the product, it would be a great educational material. He can show close up the look and feel of the arms and drop the frames on hard ground (no electronics please) just to show how it survives a crash.
I thought about a video that goes over the frame... but had not considered dropping the frame before....

The arms by themselves are very very stiff. I tried bending and flexing them with my hands, but I can't -- but that does not mean they won't bend in a crash. It obviously always depends on the crash. I had crashes with one of my tricopters that seemed really bad, yet none of my wood arms broke. Then I had some that seemed minor, yet an arm broke.

My goal for the QAV500 was to make the frame perform as close as possible to a big hexa with a gimbal but at a fraction of the cost. I think the video I was able to shoot and post earlier today gets me where I wanted to be.
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Old May 05, 2012, 02:27 AM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,261 Posts
Quote:
but had not considered dropping the frame before....
Haven't you seen that video from DJI where the guy throws the frame around, jumps on it and so on. But not that crazy!
Old May 05, 2012, 03:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHayat View Post
Haven't you seen that video from DJI where the guy throws the frame around, jumps on it and so on. But not that crazy!
Yeah, and those frame arms snap faster than I can say "oops" when they're actually loaded with motors / batteries in center.

Anyone can jump on a blank frame and yeah, nothing will happen.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 05, 2012, 03:06 AM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Yeah, and those frame arms snap faster than I can say "oops" when they're actually loaded with motors / batteries in center.

Anyone can jump on a blank frame and yeah, nothing will happen.
I agree TC. I was just using the DJI video as a joke and not a real testimonial. Just kidding with Tim.
Old May 07, 2012, 08:59 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,220 Posts
....reposted....
correction.

I just saw this on FpvLab.com?
Is this the same quadcopter you are selling Tim?

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....vmanuals/page7

NEW Iconic-X FPV Frame for quadcopter ( Acrylic version) (1 min 25 sec)
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old May 08, 2012, 01:08 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post
....reposted....
correction.

I just saw this on FpvLab.com?
Is this the same quadcopter you are selling Tim?

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....vmanuals/page7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a9M1...layer_embedded
Isn't that QuadAddict? Woah, looks like he just finished his own frame with a strikingly similar design? Interesting!

Paul
Old May 08, 2012, 02:30 AM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,491 Posts
No disrespect to anyone here, but I have known QA for along time and he has been making the aluminum arms for as long as I can remember. Also that new frame has been in the works for awhile. Yea they both look about the same. But honestly who really cares personally I think the more people out there making frames the better. Gives more options. I think both frames look great. And I hope this won't get into a who copied who war. People will buy from who they want to. And I say you can't go wrong with either frame.
tc3wins is offline Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old May 08, 2012, 08:10 AM
Gainesville, FL
Joined Dec 2005
367 Posts
Quote:
The motors are 500mm diagonal from motor shaft to motor shaft and the flight controller is centered at the CG point in the middle of the frame. This ensures that the motors/escs work equally hard and that the FC can apply consistant power to level the frame.
For all intents and purpose, it makes absolutely no difference where your flight controller is mounted on the frame. Provided that your FC is oriented appropriately, mounted flat and is properly indexed with the aircraft's azimuth, it will compensate exactly the same regardless of its location.

You can mount your flight controller on a stick stood off 10 feet to the side of your quad and it will fly fine as long as the stick is rigid and the FC is mounted with the above criteria.

Other than that, I really like the frame. Camera mount being isolated ought to work great. I'd actually suggest mounting the FC on the non isolated portion of the frame. In most cases, adding a mechanical means of vibration filtering to an IMU will actually increase it's control deadband as well as the likelihood for the system to drift. As long as your props are balanced, stock tape mounted directly to the airframe usually works best.
Al Austria is offline Find More Posts by Al Austria