SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Jan 2008
36 Posts
Hi

Is it something like this you are looking for?? (I norwegian "profilmal")

http://www.biltema.no/no/Verktoy/Mal...ofilmal-16872/
grønnskolling is offline Find More Posts by grønnskolling
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
Not exactly, I thought of something that looks like bendy ruler, I have seen one pale blue in colour, app 50 cm long.
The on on your link is to small on these surfaces..
But thanks anyway
Gudmund is offline Find More Posts by Gudmund
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:46 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,327 Posts
Is this what you're after - http://www.ryman.co.uk/1342768199/He...-Ruler/Product it's been a long time since I used one of those. CAD has rather taken away the need for drawing instruments.

For the work you're doing, I use something like this - http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools.../contour-gauge You may need something a little larger...
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
The Helix is the one I had in mind.
But there is really not much to adjust, just a small area in the nose region.
To correct this, I have to wait till the fuselage is glassed anyway.
Thanks for the link!
Old May 01, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
Made a rather heavy order today to www.r-g.de, weighing 50 kg.
Knowing it`s not the last one
Cutting stab and tail-wing tonight.
Old May 02, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
The cutting was flawless and a pure joy to do. The foam and temp was just spot on. I remember it was fun, but not this fun!
It seems that everything on the ASK is at least twice the size compared to the Let Ventus.. And it cind of makes me stare, wondering what am really I doing..
Putting things together make strange things to single parts.

I have decided to make the plug for tail-wing using balsa sheet and covering film to make a shortcut. Done nicely using film, the finish is hard to beat manually by hand.
Also thinking about moulding on a shiny surface to make huge sheets for covering the main wings (included LE), a huge glass surface or something.. As long as the cores are even & ok, it really should give much for free. Thinner sheet pinpointed to LE would make this idea possible and worth a try.. The clue here is to use any idea that can provide progress in few & easy steps. Because I know there are many "miles" left. I`ve reached the point of no return.
Old May 02, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
Looking good my friend, can I sugest a good working surface for making glass skins is laminex bench top and can be purchased up to 3500 mm long and about 1200mm wide and is glassy smooth. I cut my cores with the leading edges on and stick 12 k carbon tape to the leading edge with spray adhesive before sheeting. When bonding the skins fills the leading carbon edge with resin that squeezes out from under the glass skin.
With the cores I have a 10mm lead in lead out overhang and drive long nails through the jackets to locate them and prevent movement during vacum bagging.
Cheers Rossco
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old May 02, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
A glassy bench top is a terrific idea! Shortcuts are welcome, just too bad the chord is 740 mm..
I thought about sorting out a huge window somewhere, do the job after closing time and then rip it off early next day . Just cidding.. Thanks

As I mentioned I`m thinking about making a very specific layup as the radius is less thruout the span. I guess I`ll have to laborate abit on this, but thinking 220 g/m2 kevlar for LE on the skins as a start. Vakuumed on max, it should be a exact copy of the surface. Kevlar is not hard to convince in bending.. And no epoxy for glue, Polyurethane glue is better. And best results is achieved when moist in form of water is applied to the foam cores. Use a "wet" cloth in this manouver. Moist makes the glue expand to max were it`s needed, no gaps or hollow dots.

I once got 360 m2 of it for 150 USD, lucky me...
A local factory making freight compartments for trucks, had no idea what to expect.
But they soon discovered this as they tried to sand it. At the right place at the right time again (!) I must say, they wanted to dump it. I said no please..
Coincidence may be cruel, but also ditto nice.
The path appeares as the line is walked, and it surely helps to have a good a feeling on the things I`m doing. But I also know this is the only way.
I sometimes wish I was about to redo one, not making all of it by myself, but I`m following your thread every time I`m in here

For me, the building and create something is at least the half of it, this sport / hobby, Rossco. She will be ok this time..
Last edited by Gudmund; May 02, 2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old May 02, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
We should swop fuselages some day..
Old May 02, 2012, 05:24 PM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,327 Posts
That's some tailplane!

I'd also recommend the kitchen worktop thing - I use that to make GRP sheet at work. Also, at slightly lower cost, you may like to consider MFC (melamine faced chipboard) but IIRC that comes at 'only' 3m long...

Keep at it; we're all watching and wishing you well with this
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old May 02, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
I`m keeping at it, mostly for myself.
But sharing it, as things are like this these days..

Thanks
Old May 02, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
For the first time ever, this project will also have a final prize-tag, as I press every paid bill down on a spike in the wall in my garage
Old May 02, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedofdread View Post

Keep at it; we're all watching and wishing you well with this
Motivating input... I knew she would be big, but honest, I did`nt know my gem would be this big..
I have done 50 % before, but this is w a y out of my scale on a 50 % model.
It`s just too big to cope, for me. And I`m used to big scale so to say.
I guess the best joy is here where I am, glad to share it when it gives something to others
Old May 02, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Mar 2005
420 Posts
Thougts forward now is to incorporate all wheel wells in the mould, not making the main separate as I said before like the full-size has it.
Thoughts is also ahead in time what the new rules in weight limitations will be.
Surely, it won`t be the stress-tests this thing has to bail on.
We`ll see.
Old May 02, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudmund View Post
We should swop fuselages some day..
Sounds like a top idea I like the ASK21, a very handy size
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181