Here too , snow
420flyboy is offline Find More Posts by 420flyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:18 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
The wemo rotor has plenty of margin in it at the levels its being run, its no less safe than a solid metal rotor. I had to go over 70K with the Minifan rotor to get it to go, and all it did was break up in a rather anticlimaxual way

Pretty sure AirX did calculations on the shear strength/rpm for molded rotors and the rpm gotta be pretty high.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:55 PM
texas
Joined May 2005
105 Posts
trying to decide 6s vs 7s ... on stock motor and fan ?

for anyone who has run both battery setup ..

getting ready to purchase batt..

i aready have the ice 100 ESC ... so should be able to use 6s or 7s..

so question ...

would you say the 7s is a noticable difference in vertical climb ?

i did the upgrade on parkzone foamy habu stock fan and motor from 4s to 5s ... and the vertical was alot better ! so very much worth the upgrade ...

just seeing what thoughts are on the habu 32 , leaving the stock fan and stock motor.

thanks for the thoughts.
rcfun2005 is offline Find More Posts by rcfun2005
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:05 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfun2005 View Post
for anyone who has run both battery setup ..

getting ready to purchase batt..

i aready have the ice 100 ESC ... so should be able to use 6s or 7s..

so question ...

would you say the 7s is a noticable difference in vertical climb ?

i did the upgrade on parkzone foamy habu stock fan and motor from 4s to 5s ... and the vertical was alot better ! so very much worth the upgrade ...

just seeing what thoughts are on the habu 32 , leaving the stock fan and stock motor.

thanks for the thoughts.
yes you will see a similar performance increase going to 7s
make sure you put a heatsink on the motor, I like Tams heatsink tailcone upgrade for this which allows you to install the esc in the tailcone and helps with cooling, cg and batt placement
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
Proud RC Addict
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
Do any of you guys use crow to slow down?
Also curious if anyone mixes a little bit of elevator with their flaps. I found a few references but was curious if it's very widely used or if there is much benefit.
dennisjm is offline Find More Posts by dennisjm
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulicheng View Post
Do any of you guys use crow to slow down?
Also curious if anyone mixes a little bit of elevator with their flaps. I found a few references but was curious if it's very widely used or if there is much benefit.
yes....all of the above
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,186 Posts
Crow/Flaps Use

+1
I fly off grass and FLAPS help immensely and some down elevator mixed keeps the bird on the right flight angle.

Because of trees on both ends of the field, CROW is a huge help in having solid approach control. I followed someone's suggestion about having the up aileron kick in only when flaps were fully extended and low throttle. As throttle kicks in, the up ailerons smoothly retract making a go-around less stressful.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
yes....all of the above
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:20 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
Cool, I can mix those in easy enough. How much throw did you use at full crow? Elevator at full flaps? I'd like to maiden this week perhaps if weather/work are permitting.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:18 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,186 Posts
Flap, Elevator, Crow Settings

For my bird, I use 9% down elevator for the first notch of flaps (per manual) and 16% down elevator for the second/landing notch of flaps. Very close to what others have said here. I forget the deflection amount; only have access to radio, right now.

For the crow setting, I used values recommended elsewhere in this thread; using a three position switch (NO crow, 3 MM up aileron, and 5 MM up aileron; i.e., zero, low, and high crow; all with flaps and throttle mixes as indicated previously.

I personally prefer the 3 MM up setting as the 5 MM seems too high a sink rate and/or, being older than dirt, my reactions might not be fast enough to arrest the higher sink rate. The initial high sink rates are necessitated because of the trees.

Again, none of this is unique to me; I simply copied the net-wisdom in this thread that I gleaned from several posters, tried it, saw what worked, kept and/or modified to suit my needs...

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulicheng View Post
Cool, I can mix those in easy enough. How much throw did you use at full crow? Elevator at full flaps? I'd like to maiden this week perhaps if weather/work are permitting.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:48 PM
Jamie
alaska
Joined Sep 2006
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
thats really good Gary but you need to put your big boy pants on and do a 12s Mach Alloy

then you could play with the big boys

http://youtu.be/_rM7IDbSyjA
HOLY CRAP!! I just realized how slow my Habu is!!!
jamnbec is offline Find More Posts by jamnbec
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:16 PM
Proud RC Addict
Joined Nov 2009
1,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
For my bird, I use 9% down elevator for the first notch of flaps (per manual) and 16% down elevator for the second/landing notch of flaps. Very close to what others have said here. I forget the deflection amount; only have access to radio, right now.
Thanks for sharing! I did go back and check the manual and sure enough, it was in there. They recommend 1mm down at 1/2 flaps and 2 down at full flaps. Seems counter intuitive to me that you need down elevator when the flaps are deployed. I'd think flaps would make it nose down not up but I haven't tried it yet so I'll go with the recommendation I can set the amount of mix at fly time with an adjust button too though so I can fly around with flaps and get stable flight for a bit before I have to land (that's the idea anyway!)

Added crow 1 and crow 2 on a 3-way switch as well. Tied to the throttle so that 3 (or 5) mm up is achieved when no throttle and by 1/2 throttle they are back to 0 degrees. I can probably mix that better if that isn't the best solution. (Like I think I should have full crow a little before 0 throttle since I want some throttle while landing) Have to check it out some more.

EDIT: it might have been 2 down at 1/2 and 3 at full.. I forget but I just did what the manual said.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:17 PM
Hit Me! Please!
Provo, UT
Joined Jan 2005
3,997 Posts
I just mix crow into my flaps so it is applied when I go to full flaps.

And it pitches up like crazy with flaps if you don't have down elevator mixed in.
jwjohnson is online now Find More Posts by jwjohnson
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:58 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2008
863 Posts
So, I got this EDF as an early Xmas present. My god it's gorgeous - I was nervous even just trying to take it out of the box!

This is the first time I will be using a 6.6V LiFe receiver battery on any plane, and I have no idea how a LiFe battery works, so please forgive my following basic questions:

1). If my charger doesn't have a setting for LiFe, can I balance charge it in the LiPo mode in the 2-cell (7.4V) setting? If so, should I simply stop the charge manually when each cell hits 3.3V - or maybe lower than that?

2). How far down can I drain the LiFe before I need to charge it again?

3). I plan to use HS85MG servos on all but nose gear (HS82MG). Are these servos safe to use with the 6.6V LiFe pack?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
kchen95 is offline Find More Posts by kchen95
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Aug 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
So, I got this EDF as an early Xmas present. My god it's gorgeous - I was nervous even just trying to take it out of the box!

This is the first time I will be using a 6.6V LiFe receiver battery on any plane, and I have no idea how a LiFe battery works, so please forgive my following basic questions:

1). If my charger doesn't have a setting for LiFe, can I balance charge it in the LiPo mode in the 2-cell (7.4V) setting? If so, should I simply stop the charge manually when each cell hits 3.3V - or maybe lower than that?

2). How far down can I drain the LiFe before I need to charge it again?

3). I plan to use HS85MG servos on all but nose gear (HS82MG). Are these servos safe to use with the 6.6V LiFe pack?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
Only charge an LiFe battery using a charger set to either LiFe or A123. Lipo charge cycles terminate at a higher voltage and shouldn't be used for A123/LiFe batteries. If your charger doesn't support A123/LiFe, buy a charger that does.

I generally won't try to use more than 50%-60% of the capacity of an LiFe pack. Starting with a fully charged LiFe battery, I make a couple of flights, recharge and see how many milliamps the charger put back into the battery and divide that by the number of flights to get a decent estimate of how many milliamps per flight are being used. Divide the number of milliamps per flight into 50% or 60% of the capacity of your battery and that should tell you how many flights you can safely make.. These batteries can be charged very quickly (15 minutes) at the field so there is no reason to try to squeeze every last milliamp out of them before recharging.
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:50 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,029 Posts
Kevin,
Merry Christmas! I'm 99% sure your charger will do LiFe as well as LiPo. If not, Check the info here: http://www.google.com/search?q=lipo+...to+charge+life
Best,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member