SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:54 AM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,911 Posts
They are the same prop. Part number EFLUP11803B.
110mm x 80mm. Just guessing, but re-pitched to at least 100mm.
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:45 PM
nooby hobbyist
Joined Jan 2014
1 Posts
Dude that Hellcat is pretty sweet
rk7562 is offline Find More Posts by rk7562
Old Apr 27, 2014, 05:00 AM
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Apr 2014
16 Posts
Hi,
Hellcat has always been my favorite model since I made back in the 70's. I'm going to take this challenge up again. So my first question is why are the leading edges balsa covered instead of rib and tissue? This could drop a lot of weight.
The elephantwalker
elephantwalker is offline Find More Posts by elephantwalker
Old May 05, 2014, 01:27 PM
Joined Apr 2014
16 Posts
update on Hellcat Build

Hi,
Last time I built the Hellcat in balsa was 1969, and my hands were smaller, and my eyes better, men were walking on the moon, so who knows what's going to happen. But it's the journey that counts, right?

I cut up the 1/16 balsa (that's 1.5 mm for those over the pond) and 1/32 balsa (1mm). I laid the parts out on the paper just to make sure I had everything. Good thing, cause I missed a few .

Make sure your xacto 11 is sharp, cause this is really small scale guys. A few of the bulkheads broke in the fusalage, but I used an old trick I learned back in '69, glue and balsa sticks are your friends. Just splint the broken pieces together with a stick of balsa, glue it...it'll fly. At least mine did all through the 70's with a Bee 049.

I started with the bottom of the middle wing. Then moved up. The photos tell the story.

More to come.

- the elephantwalker
Old May 19, 2014, 01:38 AM
Joined Apr 2014
16 Posts
Body in the works, wing parts complete

Hi,
I've completed the wing sections, and Bob Marley and I are working on the fuselage . I put about 1 degree of washout on the tips, but my calcs indicate this bird will stall at 26 km/hr, which is high. I'm thinking flaps will be necessary for any cruising.

More to come.

-the elephantwalker
Old May 21, 2014, 03:00 PM
I NEED a micro seaplane lrf!!!
Torino
Joined May 2007
323 Posts
Hi Elephantwalker

nice to see your build..
I am starting mine too, to be powered with the electronics from an UMX Spitfire (8.5 mm coreless geared and AS3X receiver)

Which setup will you pur inside your Hellcat?

A.
fabersum is offline Find More Posts by fabersum
Old May 22, 2014, 07:19 PM
Joined Apr 2014
16 Posts
cart before the horse

A,
I think I've got the cart before the horse...haven't figured out all of the electronics yet. rx is a frsky d4r-ii (about 4-5 gm), and I'm using 4 3.7 gram solar d229's as servos. I'm leaning toward the Turnigy Park250 Brushless Outrunner 2200kv, that's what the site calculator indicates would produce a screamer.

But I'm more worried about my slow speed perforamance, so I think I'm going to add flaps.

the elephantwalker
Old May 23, 2014, 08:18 PM
Or current resident
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Jul 2002
4,911 Posts
Don't worry about low speed performance because there won't be any. With the equipment you proposed you will have a missile! That's ok, but a small fast model is hard to keep up with. Paint that sucker dark blue with light grey underside and it will disappear really fast!

Mine was powered with the 8.5mm motor on a single cell and the power was just barely adequate. Stick a park 180 in there on a 2 cell 200 and it would have been perfect!
Maybe someday I will repair and repower it. It was a victim of a dead battery tip stall/spin of death.
Good Luck
Glenn
glewis is offline Find More Posts by glewis
Old Jun 23, 2014, 02:24 AM
Joined Apr 2014
16 Posts
Electronic package

Hi,
On everybody's advice, I went small:

Frsky 4ch rx
 AEO-RC GPS-C05M Micro Gearbox 2.9g Outrunner Brushless Motor @ 8500kv 
 Exceed RC Proton 6A Brushless Speed Controller ESC  (6g)
Turnigy nano-tech 180mah 2S 25C (13g)
HK-5330 Ultra-Micro Digital Servo 1.9g
5030 (black) Three Blade Propeller (ABS) 

Total weight 45 g

The build x-electronics so far is 25 g, and I expect this to go up to 40 -50 g.

elephantwalker
Old Jul 02, 2014, 05:59 PM
Branjo
Joined Sep 2013
270 Posts
These are awesome plans! I hope to try this one soon. Thanks for all your efforts!
Branden
bshultz327 is online now Find More Posts by bshultz327
Old Jul 06, 2014, 03:01 AM
Joined Apr 2014
16 Posts
Mechanically complete! 43 g!

Hi,
Here's an update on my hellcat build (I'm calling her the black cat). It took three builds of the fuselage to get it right. I'm calling them the good, the bad and the ugly. I had some bad balsa, and a poor tool, and the darn thing just would not come together without breakage.

I finally got some heart cut western balsa, and the parts started hanging together.

There's a picture of my wing dihedral setup, and epoxyed in my next post. I then layed down some CF tape on the bottom leading edge, and on the fit plate for the wing. Final build came at 43 g x paper and electronics.

I may use some more CF, but if I do, I'm going to take out some bulkheads to trade weight for strength.

Cheers
Old Jul 25, 2014, 03:51 PM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
I have gone through your complete plan and it's really impressive. Now I am planning to build the same. I would appreciate your help in future For now can you help me to know more about balsa sheet. I need to know the different sizes/thickness balsa you have used.
San3d_1 is offline Find More Posts by San3d_1
Old Aug 29, 2014, 02:55 AM
Joined Apr 2014
16 Posts
Hi,

In the states. 1/32in is used to substitute for 1 mm , and 1/16in for 1.5 mm. I've used Midwest balsa for best results, 4 in by 36 in sheets.

the elephantwalker
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:26 PM
I NEED a micro seaplane lrf!!!
Torino
Joined May 2007
323 Posts
My take on this one:

all the stuff is from my old Parkzone UMX Spitfire. The only changes from that setup are a GWS 5043 prop and a 240 mAh 1s Hyperion battery.
I also changed the motor wires: since I needed longer ones I changed them for thicker ones - that gave me an almost 5% thrust increase on thrust stand!

I put all the components as far forward as possible to have the COG around the right place without the battery installed to avoid ballast in the nose, and I put the battery location around the COG too so to be able to try different sizes of batteries without changing the model balance.
The receiver is held in place by a balsa fixture and the motor mount is held by screws. Both features were very useful in the trimming process.
The motor cowl is held in place by two short carbon rod stubs and magnets. The battery cover just by two magnets.
The built-up tail feathers came out heavier than the solid balsa ones..
What can I say more.. the dihedral break on the ailerons control rods is made with two layers of shrink tube.

48 g without battery, 53 AUW ready to fly.

here's a short video:

F6F Hellcat in balsa, voletto pirata alla Reggia di Venaria durante gli MTV Digital Days (1 min 12 sec)
fabersum is offline Find More Posts by fabersum
Last edited by fabersum; Sep 16, 2014 at 06:33 PM.