SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 09, 2010, 12:36 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,341 Posts
I haven't even tried the 1st version, just installed the beta. It told me I needed to install DirectX 9C on install which I already had.
I have ALL the .NET(s) + updates and DirectX 9C on a Dell Dimension 4550 (2400)/SP3-all updates.
768 RAM and NVidia 128MB video (GForce4Ti 4200).
The program seems to install OK. Get a persistent error message on launch-the usual MS gibberish. I can send an ugly screenshot if it's of any value.

Edit
Uninstalled beta, installed 1st version. Failed launch. More gibberish.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2010, 12:44 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
I haven't even tried the 1st version, just installed the beta. It told me I needed to install DirectX 9C on install which I already had.
Hi flydriver. The sim needs a specific version of DirectX to work (that's why the installer of the beta told you that), so I suggest to download the version as linked on the download page.
A screenshot of the error would come in handy (including the data behind the "technical details").
Cheers,
Davy
GeneralFailure is offline Find More Posts by GeneralFailure
Old Jan 09, 2010, 01:49 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,341 Posts
That seemed to work though it's not clear why it did.
Before the DirectX 'upgrade' I had ver. 9.0c/4.09.00.094 and did not work. After the update it had the same version but worked.

Since it works I'll spare us both the details of the previous error messages.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jan 09, 2010, 01:54 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
That seemed to work though it's not clear why it did.
Before the DirectX 'upgrade' I had ver. 9.0c/4.09.00.094 and did not work. After the update it had the same version but worked.

Since it works I'll spare us both the details of the previous error messages.
The sim uses the .NET version of DirectX. If you installed DirectX before you had .NET 2.0 installed, I can imagine DirectX didn't install the .NET libraries. Well, that's one possible explanation at least

Anyway, I'm glad you've got it up and running!

Davy
Old Jan 09, 2010, 02:45 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Version 0.1.2 is available!

The new version of R/C Desk Pilot is available for download on the download page of rcdeskpilot.com, for free as always.

Changes include:
  • a first helicopter model
  • improved flight model
  • a new challenge "scarecrow"
  • "expo" option on the controls
  • improved support for lower end machines
  • support for 3D using red/cyan glasses
  • wind noise
  • variometer for the glider
  • lens flare when looking into the sun
  • provisions for an SDK (to be released)
  • improved installer with DirectX detection
  • non-English locale bug fixed
  • several bugfixes and smaller improvements
I've received many useful suggestions here and elsewhere and I've tried to include as many as possible. This is joint effort, thanks all for your feedback and support!

I still have to update the website with screenshots and movies etc, but in the mean time you can start flying!

Cheers from a cold Belgium,
Davy
Old Jan 09, 2010, 03:42 PM
Just learning
Upstate, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
Hey GeneralFailure I really gotta hand it to you, this sim looks outstanding!! keep up the good work! I also had a question. not sure its been asked before, but I couldn't find anything. Will this sim work with my TX as is or isthere other downloads involved?

thanks, J
F.I.R.M. R/C is offline Find More Posts by F.I.R.M. R/C
Old Jan 09, 2010, 04:16 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.M. R/C View Post
Hey GeneralFailure I really gotta hand it to you, this sim looks outstanding!! keep up the good work! I also had a question. not sure its been asked before, but I couldn't find anything. Will this sim work with my TX as is or isthere other downloads involved?

thanks, J
Hi J, well it depends on your Tx and interface cable. Most USB cables (if not all) simulate a regular joystick in Windows and this will work as is with this and most other simulators. If you don't have a USB cable and plan on using a serial or audio cable, you'll need some software like SmartPropoPlus and PICjoy to emulate a joystick. But if you post your Tx type and interface cable on this forum, I'll sure everybody will be willing to help you with that. But I would recommend to buy a cheap USB cable (make sure it's the right type) or a e-sky type of dummy controller.

So short answer: USB cable -> no problem; non-USB cable -> software required.

Davy
Old Jan 09, 2010, 06:57 PM
Just learning
Upstate, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralFailure View Post
Hi J, well it depends on your Tx and interface cable. Most USB cables (if not all) simulate a regular joystick in Windows and this will work as is with this and most other simulators. If you don't have a USB cable and plan on using a serial or audio cable, you'll need some software like SmartPropoPlus and PICjoy to emulate a joystick. But if you post your Tx type and interface cable on this forum, I'll sure everybody will be willing to help you with that. But I would recommend to buy a cheap USB cable (make sure it's the right type) or a e-sky type of dummy controller.

So short answer: USB cable -> no problem; non-USB cable -> software required.

Davy
OK! thanks Davy! i'm running a Dx5e atm so i should be all set!
F.I.R.M. R/C is offline Find More Posts by F.I.R.M. R/C
Old Jan 09, 2010, 07:24 PM
beginning night flyer
United States, MT, Bozeman
Joined Dec 2007
482 Posts
i have to say this is the best free ware sim out there!
all i can ask for is more models and better graphics (yes i know thats hard)
thanks davy!
RCpilotwantabe is offline Find More Posts by RCpilotwantabe
Old Jan 09, 2010, 11:11 PM
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
DX6i Tx cable connection to PC

G'day Davy,

Er ... before I start ... why the General Failure moniker mate?

However, 'failures' apart, your 'RC Desk Pilot' Sim program looks to be considerably better than FMS ever was. ...

I lost FMS when my old PC died and have not bothered downloading it again onto my new PC, and was actually looking for something better ... and have apparently found it!

I'm using WinXP Home SP2, and may eventually upgrade to Win7 ... (On advice from my PC nerd son, I bipassed Vista ... 'nuf said.)

However I have a question adding further to F.I.R.M's post earlier today - with him using a DX5e, and with me using a similar DX6i.

You advise that he should use a USB cable.
Please advise what type of cable to use, and whether it has to have some electronics in an in-line box, similar to that which had to be used with the FMS Sim program?

Or is it simply a cable with a USB plug one end plugged into one of the PC's USB ports, and phonejack type plug at the other end connected to the trainer port on the DX6i Tx, with your program itself within the PC actually decoding - if that's the right word - the inputs from the Tx thru this simple USB cable link to the PC?
If, as I hope it does, it uses just a simple cable ... only way to go! ...

My specific interest is mainly in e-sailplanes, or pure sailplanes, although it's fun flying more conventional types - at least in the Sim, where it don't much matter if you total it!
However I hope there are at least a few thermal sailplanes in the Sim's model inventory - and even an e-sailplane or two!
Please be advised I'm fairly Computer illiterate, leaving most of my PC related questions to aforesaid PC nerd son!

Thanks

Daffy.
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck
Old Jan 09, 2010, 11:58 PM
Denton Tx.
Joined Sep 2003
1,970 Posts
I try both version, It run fine so far A friend has my control so didn't try that yet.
Bummer.

My PC
Acer Aspire 5100 lap top
Window Vista
2 Gig ram
ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 video card
CPU
AMD Turion[tm] 64 Mobile Technology MK-38
Dennis H. is offline Find More Posts by Dennis H.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 02:22 PM
Joined Apr 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gower View Post
Or is it simply a cable with a USB plug one end plugged into one of the PC's USB ports, and phonejack type plug at the other end connected to the trainer port on the DX6i Tx, with your program itself within the PC actually decoding - if that's the right word - the inputs from the Tx thru this simple USB cable link to the PC?
If, as I hope it does, it uses just a simple cable ... only way to go! ...
Hi David,
Any USB cable that is made for the Dx6i will work, as any USB cable will have the necessary electronics to do the decoding. Peter was kind enough to explain the procedure a few posts up in this thread.

Cheers,
Davy
Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:59 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
hey general failure i tried to install the beta, i already have the first one and ihave installed the direct x stuff. it didnt work but does it require an internet connection, if it does will you be able to fly with other people?
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Jan 10, 2010, 11:55 PM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Hi David,
Any USB cable that is made for the Dx6i will work, as any USB cable will have the necessary electronics to do the decoding. Peter was kind enough to explain the procedure a few posts up in this thread.

Cheers,
Davy
Hi David and Davy,

This is the setup I originally got for a Walkera Heli controller I had.
http://www.724depot.com/en/flight-si...ontroller.html
They are available at many different sites.

I never did get the Walkera to work on FMS but when I bought the DX6i I found that the basic cable had the right plug (stereo) for the DX6i.

Hope this helps.
REMEMBER - plug the USB into the computer first, then plug into the DX6i (must be turned off), then start the DeskPilot program.

Cheers,
Peter
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Jan 11, 2010, 01:56 AM
Thornleigh - 20k N of Sydney,N.S.W.,AUSTRALIA
Joined Aug 2001
746 Posts
Quote:
Hi David,

Cheers,
Davy
OK gotcha ... I think??? ... Thanks for the link back to what Peter did, I appreciate it ... but obviously, although not spelled out specifically, it actually means that a specific INTERFACE USB cable with incorporated electronics built in IS required, and not just an simple lead with a USB plug one end and a JR/Spektrum compatible stereo plug at the other.
Am I right this time ... ... 'cos if so I'll have to buy one?
Told'ja I was PC/and electronically deprived, and really just wanted something to simply plug'n'play but using my own Tx.
Therefore, in your opinion, would the SimBlaster type be suitable? Because this was what I used with FMS some years ago.
Apparently it is still available in two types, with the less expensive version able to handle 4 channels and the other at $40 having 7 proportional channels plus 4 buttons ... far more than I'd ever really want or need!
ref: http://www.simblaster.com/servlet/Ca...ory=Interfaces

The original Interface I had originally was the second one, but it's been mislaid somewhere when the old PC went belly up, and has yet to be located, so I may be forced to buy a new one.

However, perhaps you or any others more learned types reading this thread may have a better, and maybe cheaper suggestion. I don't really want to go out and buy an expensive commercial Sim package, now that I've found yours which by all accounts, reading most of the thread, is pretty darned good, Davy.

Regards - Daffy.
Little Black Duck is offline Find More Posts by Little Black Duck