New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2015, 02:51 PM
Find More Posts by rbddee
Joined Mar 2015
7 Posts
Discussion
newbie needs a little help first post

I purchased a Blade MCX2 with a Spectrum controller and I need a little help. I have the controller model type as a heli. I can get the copter to hover and move forwards and backwards spin 360 degrees, but not side to side. I found some settings that are helpfull for beginners, but I'm having no luck with getting yaw to work. Any thoughts
rbddee is offline Find More Posts by rbddee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2015, 05:28 PM
Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
419 Posts
I'm not familiar with that heli, but have you checked that the aileron servo (the one for side-to-side) actually moves? It may just be disconnected at the board. If it is connected and does not work, it's defective.
getsuyoubi is offline Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Mar 05, 2015, 05:37 PM
Joined Mar 2015
7 Posts
I will check to see, thanks.
Old Mar 05, 2015, 07:13 PM
Find More Posts by CaptJac
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,268 Posts
What Spectrum controller do you have ?
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2015, 07:05 AM
Joined Mar 2015
7 Posts
I have the dx6i. It seems to be an issue with the settings that i've used that i've seen on sites for the mcx2 heli and dx6i controller. What I mean is dependent upon settings for the aile, elev, rud gyro and throttle curve will cause the heli to act differently. If I just choose one of the models available on the dx6i for plane mode it will hover do 360 rotations and move forward and backwards with no right or left yaw which I guess makes sense in airplane mode. I guess I need to try different settins to see if I can get the heli to fly correctly. When I setup the controller for heli mode I can hear the gyro for yaw control. Being a newbie I'm just not sure what the correct settings should be for me to do some basic flying.
Old Mar 06, 2015, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
419 Posts
Airplane mode should actually be OK with that type of heli. Is it possible that you selected a pre-programmed airplane that has no ailerons, just throttle, rudder (=yaw), and elevator? I cannot really imagine that such an airplane would have the aileron disabled in the radio (via setting dual rates to zero, for example), but who knows?
getsuyoubi is offline Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Mar 06, 2015, 08:17 AM
Joined Mar 2015
7 Posts
Hers's what I'm using as a template
Here ya go ! set up Li st
Model Type-hel i
reverse-N(al l of them) swash Type-90*1 servo D/R Combi -D/R SW: ELEV
Adjust Li st

Unti tl ed

Be sure Elev D/R swi tch i s i n the 0 posi ti on to enter the fi rst set of numbers.
AILE 0 100%-20%
ELEV 0 100%-20%
RUD 0 100%-20%
Now fl i p the El ev D/R swi tch to 1 to enter the next set of numbers AILE 1 100% +15%
ELEV 1 100% +15%
RUDD 1. 100% +15% GYRO
RATE SW-GYRO 0:<100.0%
1: 0.0%
Throttl e CUR
NORM +POS L 0.0%
pos 2 30.0%
pos 3 45.0%
pos 4 60.0%
pos H 75.0% STUNT pos L 0.0%
pos 2 40.0%
pos 3 60.0%
pos 4 80.0%
pos H 100.0%
HOLD -0.0%
MIX 1
RUDD> ELEV ACT
RATE D +31% U +36% SW ON TRIM INH
MIX 2 INH
Old Mar 06, 2015, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by cmdl
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,999 Posts
1. Check what getsuyoubi wrote in post #2.

2. Check that your lipo is not blocking the aileron servo gears from moving freely. If it is, move the lipo back a bit and prevent it from going forward all the way.
My solution: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3368
Alternative solution: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3367

3. Check that the aileron servo pushrod is moving freely (arm that sticks out a bit over the canopy). If anything else is blocking it, fix it and/or let us know what it is.

4. Post your question here if none of the above solve your problem: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220881

PS - The MCX2 does not need throttle or pitch curve settings. Just fly it with whatever default settings are on your Tx. I only use throttle and pitch curves for CP helis. I fly mine with a Dx6i as well - other than binding I did not change anything at all.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Mar 06, 2015, 11:31 AM
Joined Mar 2015
7 Posts
Okay, so I verified that the battery wasn't hitting the gears.What I think might be the problem is I might have servo that isn't working properly whereas when I try and move the servo for yaw sometimes it engages okay and sometimes it just moves a fraction.
Old Mar 06, 2015, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by cmdl
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
9,999 Posts
You mean roll? Yaw is controlled by the rudder which is controlled by differential power between the main rotor motors.

Check if there is any small particulate/object blocking movement of the servo arm by being lodged in the servo arm movement path (the tiny rail on which the white plastic arm with the holes in it slides). Also check the servo gear wheel teeth for tiny particulates - use a needle to go between the teeth to check. Make sure the pushrod connected to the swashplate is not rubbing up against the canopy.
Old Mar 06, 2015, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by sachsr1
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2014
138 Posts
I'm not sure you want negative expo on your settings. I'm not sure how this heli is normally setup, but this seems different than what I've seen on other heli's.

AILE 0 100%-20%
ELEV 0 100%-20%
RUD 0 100%-20%

On a Spectrum that will make it more touchy.
sachsr1 is offline Find More Posts by sachsr1
Old Mar 06, 2015, 11:52 AM
Joined Mar 2015
7 Posts
I've taken the canopy off to make sure there isn't any interference. When in flight the heli will rotate 360 degrees and move forwards and backwards, just not side to side.
Old Mar 06, 2015, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by cmdl
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
9,999 Posts
Best post your question here then: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220881
Those guys are the experts and have helped me out.
Old Mar 06, 2015, 12:07 PM
Joined Mar 2015
7 Posts
Thanks for all of your help.