Old Jul 13, 2014, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by nerdnic
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined May 2014
226 Posts
Discussion
800mm Corsair

V1 MAIDEN FLIGHT
I had originally planned to do my maiden using the 35-36 NTM motor but chose to use a less angry motor last minute to avoid any issues. So here is my maiden from this evening using the Turnigy D3530 1100KV 73g 315w with a 9x6 and a 2000mah 3S. Version 1 of my build won't actually work with the NTM motor, there just isn't enough room for the ESC and 4S battery inside the power pod. I am working on changes for V2 that should improve on the issues I found and allow for more space inside the fuse/power pod.
800mm Corsair (1 min 59 sec)

DETAILS
I am loving 800mm size planes lately, the are quick to build, fast in the air, and fit nicely in any sized car. A few months back I built Filken's Corsair and overall wasn't very pleased with how it flew. The Corsair design is really appealing to me and I love how they look in the air. I really want a solid one that I can fly and enjoy so I decided to take some of the design techniques from Filken and clough42 and design/build my own. With both of these Corsair's to go off I was able to create a new set of plans and start building.

ELECTRONICS
V1
Motor Turnigy D3530 1100kv
ESC 30a Blue HK
Battery 45c 2000mah 3S
Prop 9x6 APC

V2
Motor NTM Prop Drive 35-36 1800kv
ESC 70a Dynam
Battery 45c 2000mah 4S
Prop 7x6 APC

PICS
Wing is based off clough42's design. I reduced the undercamber to help with top speed, changed the angle of the airfoil, reduced the dihedral, changed the foam spar placement/design, and added an aluminum spar. With careful measuring I notched the aluminum and bent it to the desired angle and then notched the bottom of each wing piece. The aluminum sits recessed in the bottom of the wing for proper alignment.

The fuse is based off Filken's design. I extended the nose, added more/different formers, added wing slots so the wing could fit inside like FT's designs, and closed up the bottom of the fuse.

Formers for the bottom so the round sexiness will extend all around the fuse.

Servo and RX will be mounted in the cockpit.

Added some paint.

Let me know what you guys think!

REVIEW

Version 1
Pros
- Looks great
- Sleek design and is very quick
- Doesn't mind the wind
- Very responsive controls

Cons
- Doesn't glide well
- A little tippy on slow turns

Looking forward
For my first design I am very happy with V1. There are a few changes I'm going to make for V2 to help with some of the flight characteristics and fuse size issue. I'm going to add more under camber, increase the size of the ailerons, and lower where the wing sits in the fuse.

Version 2
Coming soon.

nerdnic is online now Find More Posts by nerdnic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2014, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by djacob7
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,856 Posts
Excellent build and flying skills!
djacob7 is offline Find More Posts by djacob7
Old Jul 13, 2014, 05:04 PM
Joined May 2014
226 Posts
Thanks! I've got a few projects running at once right now so I've not been able to finish tweaking V2 of my corsair plans. V1 flies great though so I've actually been taking her out almost daily with me.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by Joe Valentin
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2014
52 Posts
Hoping to see your Corsair continue. Maybe a 1200 to 1400 range. Clear Skies, Calm Winds.
Joe Valentin is offline Find More Posts by Joe Valentin
Old Mar 10, 2015, 04:41 PM
Joined May 2014
226 Posts
I am reworking the plans, have been slowly working them for a while. I plan to release 650mm through 1500mm sizes.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by Joe Valentin
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2014
52 Posts
GREAT! I'll be looking out for the 1500mm. Are you looking at scaleish and pwr pod? 650mm indoor flyer? Cool. Clear Skies, Calm Winds.
Joe Valentin is offline Find More Posts by Joe Valentin