Old May 18, 2007, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by dz1sfb
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
11,300 Posts
Discussion
Single Channel got me hooked!

I am starting this thread as a result of a converation in another thread where it did not belong (my fault), and it occured to me that others may have fond memories which they would like to share. So here it is! This is what got me started in RC. A special thanks to my Uncle Paul.

My uncle used to come out to our house and fly a "Roaring 20" with an escapment. I was really impressed as he pumped the single button on that TX and could remember how many times it got hit last. He would spin the model, build up speed, then straighten it out and do a roll or loop, split S's and immelman's. It was very inspiring to me, and really whetted my appetite for RC. I begged and begged my parents for an RC system, and when Ace came out with the pulse commander (my uncle had changed to this by now), it became a reality as a bithday present (though I can't remember which B'day, 13th maybe). I did not realize how expensive radio equipment was in those days. I only knew that they were the cheapest on the market at that time. They cost $70 then, pretty steep by today's standard. Thanks Mom & Dad!

My first plane was a Minnie Mambi by Sterling, I built a Topflite Schoolgirl, then a 1/2A Skylane by Goldberg, and a string of Roaring 20's (first one from a kit, the rest scratch built), as well as a hand full of converted free flights.

My favorite is the Roaring 20, and I still have a functional Ace Digi-Pulse Commander on 72 mhz with the Baby Twin Actuator. I have converted the TX for nicads, as getting the 9v drycell was getting tough. Last used it 1991. Now we have some fabulous affordable micro RX's and servos. Though I wish the Ace was upgradable. I miss it, but not the RF interference.

My favorite motor with the plane was none other than the Cox Tee Dee .020. Bummer its not made anymore.

The closest thing to this experience has been playng with the Air Hogs Aero Ace airplanes and building airframes for this radio gear. Great fun !

I have more, but I'll save it for later. Lets hear your tales of glee and woe!

Happy BGR (Building, Flying, Repairing),
Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2007, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by Balsabird
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
I've noticed the same thing here in San Diego, those Eveready #976 batteries are hard to find, and when you do find them, unnessarily expensive. I've taken to using six "C" cells, arranged in a 3+3 stack, slightly staggered, so they will fit where the 976 did. Pick up some "C" cells, park them next to the 9V, and you'll see how to do it. You still get 9v but lots more amp-hours, and if you don't fly very often, these will last longer between flight sessions. I date them after assembly, and some are six years old. I solder them in series after using CA to assemble, and use a Deans 3-pin connector in place of the snap connectors. Heat shrink to prevent shorting out on the aluminum case, or electrical tape will do. Anchor in place with double sided servo tape. I still occasionally fly a Lil Tri Squire with my ACE Pulse Commander on channel 18, powered by a Mills 74 diesel and a Cox white nylon 8-4. Works great.
Balsabird is online now Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old May 18, 2007, 08:21 PM
Find More Posts by TLyttle
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Watch the range of the Air Hogs system...

Other than that, s/c is always fun; people are always amazed at what an old Ace pulse can do.

Want a replacement for the 020? Have a look at the PAW55 diesel; it is light, powerful, controllable, fuel is cheap to make, it will last your lifetime.

I still have my Ace gear, and an SE5 ready to go with a PAW55 (can't buy glow fuel here).
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old May 18, 2007, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by Gonnacrash
Havin FUN
United States, KS, Basehor
Joined Sep 2001
578 Posts
Greetings,
Early '70's won this Consolidated "SPIRIT" at a C/L contest. I broke the most
balloons placed on 3' sticks around the circle. The "SPIRIT" remained under
my bed for years. Friend purchased a "PIXIE" R/C radio. Wow ! I thought.
That is much better than my friends Citizenship 50 pound transmitter and
escarpment "thing" that sort of controlled his Buccaneer.
So, out from under the bed and purchase of a "PIXIE" we had hours and hours
and hours of fun in the sun ! Learned the spin & release loop along with others.
Still have the wing, and thanks to Joe Nagy of PHX and RCU have the complete
plans. Some day will do it again ! That is if "Mr. Time" does not catch me.
Don - Basehor, Ks
Gonnacrash is offline Find More Posts by Gonnacrash
Old May 19, 2007, 05:37 AM
Find More Posts by BobHH
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jun 2003
225 Posts
Single Channel flying

Well, I still fly quite a bit of single channel units. Currently in my hangar is a DQA designed by Babcock with a Mule trans and Citizen-ship escapement. A Flipper Bipe with Ace pulser, A Little Esquire with Ace pPulser, A Minnie Mambo with Ace pulser, A Wee Stick and a School Boy with Mattel pulser and a Pee Wee Pal with Digit Migit. All fly very well and are quite reliable. Here are a few of my fleet!!

Bob Harris
BobHH is online now Find More Posts by BobHH
Old May 19, 2007, 09:18 AM
Find More Posts by Buzz
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
13,872 Posts
I started out flying rubber band powered free flight models. I distinctly remember standing in a field with a hand crank drill winding, and winding and winding. We even carved our own props. Then, one day my dad showed me an advertisement in Scientific American magazine about this new thing called radio control. There was a kit made by Heathkit....and I built my own Tx and Rx from that. . It used a rubber band escapement for rudder only. One button.... I could never remember how many times I pushed that button, so a lot of my flights were very erratic. Yep, an R/C rubber powered glider.... I flew that plane so much that the white tissue covering started turning brown... finally one day while winding it.... the fuselage collapsed. So much for that plane... But the Heathkit flew in many other planes... until one day, using a Cox .020... the radio quit working and we all stood there and watched my plane fly off over the horizon. Never did find it.... so, I ended up with just the transmitter.

I flew control line for a long time after that and then discovered updated R/C stuff including these little boxes called 'servos'. Wow! That did it... I was addicted!
I went from single channel to 2 channel.... then on to 4.

Then, it happened. I discovered helicopters! I had to have one. I saved my money and ordered a Du Bro Hughes 300 heli. When it came, I opened the box and nearly had a heart attack. NOTHING was assembled. It was just a big box of wood blocks and thousands of screws. I worked every night on that thing and finally after about 3 months later.... it was done. It had small chainsaw engine for power.... you had to pull it like a lawn mower. It burned nitromethane. After all that time building it, the maiden flight lasted about 6 seconds. There were no gyros back then. So, I rebuilt it and learned to fly it ...but not very well. One day I took off from a parking lot, and the wind caught my heli... I fought to get it back, but it kept drifting toward US-1, which is a 4 lane highway. My friend was rolling on the ground yelling , Uh Oh....Uh Oh!
Just across the highway was an ABC bar and liquor store. The heli finally drifted out into traffic about 6ft. high.... people were swerving around in disbelief. This was no small helicopter! It was 5ft long! It finally went across the highway and headed for the ABC bar. There must have been 40 cars in their parking lot.... no place to set it down... By then my freind was howling with laughter.

CRRRRAAAAAASSSSHHHH!.... the heli flew through the window in the bar and people were flying out the doors like a UFO just landed. My friend could no longer speak. He was lying face down in the parking lot sobbing with laughter. So, I walked over to the bar.... and they called the cops. My heli was upside down in the bar on a table.

The cops didn't know what to do. So, they gave me a citation to replace the window. I drove a lumber truck all summer to earn the money to pay them back.

That was just the beginning.... I've flown ever since then, and I have a lot of other stories similar to the one above. Ever seen a glider with 10ft. of wings crash through a pool enclosure? But, that's another story.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz
Old May 19, 2007, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
For a super time warp trip back in colour take a look at Tapio Kusomas links to his fathers work and flying off water in Finland......there long but worth the download time even at broad band speeds.
K.Kusomas work and flying ff and single channnel pages 4 and 6 of this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521810
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 19, 2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old May 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
Find More Posts by Harry D
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,430 Posts
Is that old RC gear still legal? Just curious, not trying to start anything!
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old May 19, 2007, 11:03 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
11,300 Posts
Convewrted single channel model

Harry,
I believe that we are flying at our own risk with this stuff, but if you live in a remote area you are less likely to get shot down by a stray signal.

BobHH,
Great pictures! Love that Roaring 20!

I have a Rascal RC that I scratch built and am using an outrunner motor and lipo batteries. This combo is light and more powerful than the TD .020's I used to run. The plane needs the finish put on, but at this point weighs 7 ounces with batteries. I am excited to get it finished. Here is the power spec's;
  • Outrunner motor - weighs 24g
  • This motor turns a 5x3 prop at 18,000 rpm with a 3 cell lipo battery
  • This is a 3 channel model and utilizes a Hitec Focus III FM radio with 2 HS-55 servos and a Great Planes Electrifly Silver series 8 ESC
I am expecting this thing to be capable of vertical performance, though that is not the way to fly this model. I believe that this power system would be better in a plane with a more robust wing (Roaring 20), but I should get about 20 minute flights with the 700mah battery at low throttle settings.

SOrry to deviate from the post. I love to let these models live again. I am especially fond of the Ken Willard designs.

Happy BFR (Building Flying Repairing),
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2007, 11:28 PM
Find More Posts by BobHH
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jun 2003
225 Posts
Single channel radios

Yes the radio gear is still legal. All my vintage radio gear is on 27 MHz. This is still a legal frequency for the AMA although it is shared by some of the ground guys. Many of the newer "Park Flyers" systems are being sold on the 27 MHz band today. As for reliable, maybe not as good as today's systems but if properly cared for the risk is minimum. Check out the Vintage Radio CPR article in May Flying Models Magazine! Funny though....My older 27 stuff has been more reliable than my 72 stuff has!!!

dz1sfb, Many of the designs of early rc are prime candidates for electric conversion. Many can come in at less weight as the original design with better performance. I enjoy the challenge single channel gives me. With all the ARFs available the art of build has almost gone. Single channel required one to properly trim the model without trim tabs, build as light but as strong as possible and understand the flight characteristics of a design. I get a lot of questions at the field on how it flies without an elevator!! As for critics… I can fly 3D, can you fly single channel?

Bob Harris
BobHH is online now Find More Posts by BobHH
Old May 20, 2007, 11:34 PM
Find More Posts by TLyttle
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
Hahahaaa!!! Right on, Bob, not many of these new guys can fly s/c; it is hilarious watching them bend the stick looking for up elevator!!!
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old May 21, 2007, 05:19 AM
Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
2,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle
Hahahaaa!!! Right on, Bob, not many of these new guys can fly s/c; it is hilarious watching them bend the stick looking for up elevator!!!
I've heard it described it wasn't till I saw Kauko Kuosoma fly his lake t16 Hawk that I got the full measure of what was possible
you guide a stable airframe and allow it to fly itself..........................however by use of rudder alone you can play off the airframes character and induce controled instability to produce your maneuvers.......... even on something as big as KK's planes that ROW rather than ROG.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; May 21, 2007 at 05:29 AM.
Old May 21, 2007, 06:09 AM
Find More Posts by vintage1
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,709 Posts
what stick? we only had big button..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old May 21, 2007, 07:43 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
11,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHH
Yes the radio gear is still legal. All my vintage radio gear is on 27 MHz. This is still a legal frequency for the AMA although it is shared by some of the ground guys. Many of the newer "Park Flyers" systems are being sold on the 27 MHz band today. As for reliable, maybe not as good as today's systems but if properly cared for the risk is minimum. Check out the Vintage Radio CPR article in May Flying Models Magazine! Funny though....My older 27 stuff has been more reliable than my 72 stuff has!!!

dz1sfb, Many of the designs of early rc are prime candidates for electric conversion. Many can come in at less weight as the original design with better performance. I enjoy the challenge single channel gives me. With all the ARFs available the art of build has almost gone. Single channel required one to properly trim the model without trim tabs, build as light but as strong as possible and understand the flight characteristics of a design. I get a lot of questions at the field on how it flies without an elevator!! As for critics… I can fly 3D, can you fly single channel?

Bob Harris
Right on Bob!
It requires a greater degree of "know how" build and trim a ship to fly single channel over a full house bird. The free flighters have it to a greater degree I think (single channel basically a free flight with rudder control), and I love to see the free flight rubber powered models in flight. Especially the scale ones. A thing of beauty!

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2007, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by Buzz
Forever WTTM Pilot #7
Daytona Beach, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2002
13,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle
What stick? These old Tx's had a button .... not a stick.

The new single channel planes do have a stick... but not the older ones.
Buzz is offline Find More Posts by Buzz