Old Jun 15, 2015, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by FlyingW
Build more, websurf less
Long Valley, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,764 Posts
Question
How do you actually fly with FPV?

I am trying to learn FPV flying with a quadcopter. I know how to fly well LOS.

I have an eight-inch FPV screen on which to watch the video and I get a nice clear picture with good range.

Seems like an airplane would be easier because it should always be flying forwards. The quad however can be drifting sideways or even moving slowly backwards and this is hard to make out watching the FPV screen. Consequently I find myself reluctant to commit to the FPV screen.

Can you give some training tips for basic FPV flying?

Thanks,

Paul
FlyingW is offline Find More Posts by FlyingW
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2015, 05:25 PM
Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
7,070 Posts
get high, practice. land it like a plane as much as you can. Don't delay getting practice in acro mode. Plane is a bit easier, but quad FPV is also pretty darned easy. All of the MUCH easier than flying anything LOS.

There are some FPV flight simulators if you're really timid. Or just fly microsoft fullsize flight sim helicopter
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jun 15, 2015, 06:04 PM
Find More Posts by Dave H.
Joined Feb 2008
2,963 Posts
If you can't commit to the screen, you could try goggles. I learned with goggles on a 250 quad I had no trouble detecting sideways etc. perhaps because the goggles are more "immersive" and were not being washed out by sunlight.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by hitman13429
United States, WI, Marshfield
Joined Aug 2014
14 Posts
I prefer goggles over a screen. I kept trying to look at the quad when I used a screen. With goggles the hurtle at first with me was keeping altitude. With the quad it kept wanting to drop. Goggles might be a nice choice to try out.
hitman13429 is offline Find More Posts by hitman13429
Old Jun 15, 2015, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
30,419 Posts
You don't need to get up high to learn to fly a quad, but it does help if you
start out by flying it forward right away, keep it moving forward throughout
and land it like an airplane on a steep descent. Keep your LZ in view, fly a steep
approach to it, flare, and throttle back to land.. etc.
Hovering in one place is significantly harder when FPV piloting because it
will often wander in a random direction, and it's not generally obvious which way that is.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
Old Jun 16, 2015, 01:42 AM
Find More Posts by ican3d
flying ninja!
Joined Jun 2011
1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW View Post
I am trying to learn FPV flying with a quadcopter. I know how to fly well LOS.

I have an eight-inch FPV screen on which to watch the video and I get a nice clear picture with good range.

Seems like an airplane would be easier because it should always be flying forwards. The quad however can be drifting sideways or even moving slowly backwards and this is hard to make out watching the FPV screen. Consequently I find myself reluctant to commit to the FPV screen.

Can you give some training tips for basic FPV flying?

Thanks,

Paul
On board the quad put an thin object marker or a match stick infront of the camera field of view as your point of reference while flying. Helps you orient well as you know how much the distance proximity between the quad and the surroundings through the marker. Its like flying an FPV plane with foamy nose visible under the camera FOV for better orientation.
ican3d is online now Find More Posts by ican3d
Old Jun 16, 2015, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by J33pMe
Joined Feb 2014
54 Posts
Honestly as a newer FPV'er I find it harder to fly the higher I go. When close to the ground I find it easy to pick up the ground moving on the bottom of the screen and tell the quad is slowly drifting. Fly up a couple hundred feet and I can not longer tell if it's slowly drifting. Granted, at that altitude I don't care to much if it's slowly drifting because as I come down I can move to the correct location.

But the lack of perception at high altitude bothered me originally so most off my initial flights were around 30' where I could see it drifting in the screen and I worked my way higher.
J33pMe is offline Find More Posts by J33pMe
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by Casey101
OpenTx University *****
United States, NJ, Clinton
Joined Aug 2013
394 Posts
I've not flown FPV yet, but was wondering about this myself. My camera has distance markers that can be turned on like a back up camera on a car. I thought about using that for the first few flights.

Has anybody used those markers in the camera?

John
Casey101 is offline Find More Posts by Casey101
Old Jun 16, 2015, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
7,070 Posts
forget the markers. You want uncluttered display, maximum visual information of the context you are flying in
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jun 16, 2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 09:05 PM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
30,419 Posts
Agreed about keeping the screen uncluttered.

J33pMe, I had same experience when I learned to fly a quad years ago. Harder to
judge speed and direction at higher alt. I went almost immediately to flying just
above the tops of the trees, and then transitioned to flying below the tops of the
trees (by like the 3rd flight) where apparent speed and altitude are much more strongly linked.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:43 AM
Find More Posts by lbz34
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2007
120 Posts
Daemon do you have a min to help with a recommendation? sorry for the hijack, don't kill me

PM box is full
lbz34 is offline Find More Posts by lbz34