SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by rwnelson5356
United States, GA, Montezuma
Joined Jan 2014
1 Posts
Help!
Alien Aircraft Arrowmaster 55/60

Hey Guys, i want to build this plane with the 60" ws and use a 15 or 20cc gas. I've put together and flown 6 ARF's from trainer to sport/ scale planes in the 40 and 60 range. I've been flying off and on for 4yrs being self-taught using a simulator,a trainer plane, scale/sport arf's and repairing damaged planes. This will be my first scratch kit build and first bi-plane. I've read the instructions downloaded from the website and the March issue of Model Airplane News with Rick Bell's build-along off the website. I'd like to hear from anyone who has built this plane and any problems encountered along the way. Also anyone who has flown the plane and their thoughts. Thanks Guys!!
Taxus812 has an extremely well documented thread of his build of this airplane. Anyone interested in building the Arrowmaster55/60 can gain much information reading and viewing his thread.
rwnelson5356 is offline Find More Posts by rwnelson5356
Last edited by rwnelson5356; Feb 03, 2015 at 07:29 AM. Reason: updated
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2015, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by mrittinger
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
9,871 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Herr design. Just be absolutely positive the wing are perfect and in alignment.
mrittinger is online now Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Jan 28, 2015, 09:36 PM
Find More Posts by windshear
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2006
62 Posts
It does look like a nice plane, if I didn't already have a Sig Hog Bipe I would seriously consider it!
windshear is offline Find More Posts by windshear
Old Jan 29, 2015, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by Taxus812
United States, CT, Windsor
Joined Apr 2014
222 Posts
Hi Randy,
I see you found my build log (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2244104)

This was my first build as an adult (did a lot of ARF repairs etc) so it sounds like we started at the same skill levels. You should be able to tackle this (but expect about 100 hrs of work).

Rick Bell is a friend of mine. I followed his build along and as you can see it went well. So if you follow it will work. If you are still stuck look at my build log and I bet I had a similar issue.

Things I learned.
1) If you follow the directions without modification you will be fine (you don't have to "change anything" ). (I stiffened my stab and others did as well but it isn't really needed. Rick did not and his is great)

2) If you add the optional wingtips (not sure if he has a straight 60" kit out yet) . the CG will move rearward (it has a heck of a range)

3) If it comes out at 9Lbs it will still fly fine . The design has lots of room (plus the 60" gives you more wing area.)

4) Buy a long sanding bar.

5) If you are going to be rough with the plane add guide wires to the stabs.

6) Don't forget the mounting blocks for the N-struts on the top wing (I think he forgets to tell you to install them)

7) Buy an incidence meter (read my build log and you will know why)

8) look down the leading edge after sanding to make sure you have no waves from sanding (if you use a sanding bar it will likely be perfect.

8) if you use wood glue you can glue it and tack with CA. However all the joints are so snug that you don't need the gap filling of wood glue if you want to use just CA (I wont t get into the wood glue Vs. CA controversy).

15CC will work great with a 15x7 APC prop. I have no lack of power . It fly's AWSOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!. Don't expect crazy snappy maneuvers. Think gentle beginner sport aerobatics. Big air, slow clean rolls and patterns, Flybys with clean lines as if on smooth rails. Hands off landings. (Now I cant wait for spring) I highly recommend the kit. Tom Herr really put together a good kit for you.

Hope this help and would love to see some pictures.
Taxus812 is offline Find More Posts by Taxus812
Last edited by Taxus812; Jan 29, 2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 07:53 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,871 Posts
Nice job! Toe in?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2014
222 Posts
Alien Aircraft Arrowmaster 55/60

Thanks
The gear and was pre bent to have a little toe in
Old Jan 30, 2015, 09:10 AM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
9,871 Posts
Beautiful job!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 05:13 PM
Joined Apr 2014
222 Posts
Thanks I sent a few pics into Model Airplane News. Maybe they will put it in as a pilot project.
Old Feb 09, 2015, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by imodel
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
959 Posts
Tom has designed an easy to build great flying bipe with the AeroMaster. I love mine and am anxiously waiting for spring to afire so I can get more time on the sticks. Part fit is just amazing, as Terry has said, just follow the instructions.

R
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel
Old May 10, 2015, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by rye 332
chicago
Joined Aug 2008
327 Posts
hi
what happen it said the kits no longer made the guy retired ,wow just when i was going to pull the pin on one ,any one know where i can get one ,thanks rye
rye 332 is online now Find More Posts by rye 332
Old May 10, 2015, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by imodel
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
959 Posts
Hold, your breath! Rumor has it the Tom Herr has sold the business to someone. At this time, don't know to who, but an announcement is coming sometime this summer.

R
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel
Old May 11, 2015, 08:46 AM
Find More Posts by rammon3
Andover, NH
United States, NH, Andover
Joined Jan 2013
193 Posts
It's not a rumor. Tom Herr himself says this will be happening.
rammon3 is offline Find More Posts by rammon3
Old May 19, 2015, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
1,423 Posts
That is good news! It would be a shame to lose access to those planes. Some very nice looking designs.
Mike Dubovsky is online now Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky