SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2008, 06:43 AM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
566 Posts
Discussion
Laddie's SHEARWATER

Finally yesterday I was able to do some test flying of my scale model of New Zealand amphibious plane called SHEARWATER. The model is dream to fly. So stable. Looking forward to test it on the water, soon.
The model has 70 wingspan and weights 9.5Lbs. It is powered by AXI 6130/16 outrunner motor. I am using the Castle Creation speed controller and CC BEC. I am using 4000mA 6S LiPo batteries.
The prop is modified APC 12-8. I took two props and made one three bladed.
The model has foam wing covered with fiberglass and balsa fuselage.
If more information needed, send me reply or call. (905) 628 2749. Call after this weekend. I going to Toledo.
LADDIE is offline Find More Posts by LADDIE
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2008, 06:56 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Hi Laddie,
Very very nice, look forward to seeing reports of your Shearwater in action afloat. A lot of hard effort I think, good luck for Toledo.
regds Al.
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Last edited by rotorheid; Apr 04, 2008 at 06:58 AM. Reason: speelung
Old Apr 04, 2008, 08:52 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,192 Posts
Laddie,
A beautiful model! The head-on landing picture makes it look like the landing gear is permanently attached (don't see any retract doors). How have you mounted the gear so you can remove it when working off of water?

I'd also be interested in learning how you made a three-bladed prop from two props.

Alan
Al Offt is offline Find More Posts by Al Offt
Last edited by Al Offt; Apr 04, 2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old Apr 04, 2008, 12:44 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
nice one!

...where's them water pics?
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 04, 2008, 12:47 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Offt
A beautiful model! The head-on landing picture makes it look like the landing gear is permanently attached (don't see any retract doors). How have you mounted the gear so you can remove it when working off of water?
I may be wrong, but it appears to be the same setup like the NorthStar: plug-in mains gear, and same with the noce gear. Cover up the nose gear hole to fly on water.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 04, 2008, 04:43 PM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
I may be wrong, but it appears to be the same setup like the NorthStar: plug-in mains gear, and same with the noce gear. Cover up the nose gear hole to fly on water.
You are right.
Old Apr 05, 2008, 09:57 AM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,192 Posts
Thanks for the gear answer. Could you point me to where you describe how to make a three bladed prop from two props? I've see a technique for four-bladed from two but not a three-bladed.

Tnks in advance,
Alan
Old Apr 07, 2008, 09:34 AM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Offt
Thanks for the gear answer. Could you point me to where you describe how to make a three bladed prop from two props? I've see a technique for four-bladed from two but not a three-bladed.

Tnks in advance,
Alan
Alen
The enclosed photos are showing way I did it. The two discs were cut out from the old PC fiberglass board. The three 1/16 holes were drilled for inserting retaining pins later on. I drill the hole for 1/4 brass tube exactly at 90 deg. to the board. I smeared some oil onto the brass tubing. I slide one PC disk onto the tube all the way down. I mixed epoxy with micro balloons to make it thicker then smeared on the hub of each blade. I press each blade against the brass tubing. The second disk was pushed onto the hub with three holes lined over each blade. Once the epoxy cured, I removed the brass tube. I drill 1/16 holes into the each blade using holes in the PC board as a guide. I cut 1/16 brass tubes into three lengths, long enough to go all the way to the bottom. I epoxy them in. I sanded excess epoxy away. I check the balance of prop. The balance was perfect. I bolted the prop onto the motor in the test stand. Connected to the speed controller and from the distance I started spinning the prop faster and faster. I run the motor for long time at full speed. There was no vibration. After the test I inspected the prop hub for any cracks.
That is it. I will never use this prop on the glow engine.
Old Apr 07, 2008, 05:45 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Neat method, I've been saving all my broken props that have the hub attached to an undamaged blade and had planed on making a new hub and bolting/pinning the hubs with blades around the circumference, your Idea is very cool.
regards Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old Apr 07, 2008, 08:52 PM
United States, DE, Lewes
Joined Dec 2005
398 Posts
Laddie,

You are "The Man" !!!

Beautiful plane (as usual) & the prop idea is great. Maybe I'll try the 3 blade prop on my electric Northstar - it's done now - but I have to reaquire my flying skills on my trainer(an electrified Eagle63-with the powertrain borrowed from the Northstar temporarily.)

theKM - my Twinkle is also done but not yet flown for the same reason

Erle
werlec is offline Find More Posts by werlec
Old Apr 07, 2008, 09:12 PM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Jul 2002
397 Posts
Looks really nice and a good size too!

Will the plans be made available?

Cheers,
Dave
DavidMC is offline Find More Posts by DavidMC
Old Apr 08, 2008, 07:15 AM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
566 Posts
Dave.
I like to test fly my model from the water first, before I start making detail drawings. I have to be satisfied with all aspects of this model before I will make detail drawings for someone to build the model from them. We still have the ice on the pond.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 02:24 PM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,192 Posts
Laddie,
Very nice, I'll have to see if I have enough broken APC 8x4Es around to give it a try! My application is also electric with power less than 200W.

Thank you very much for the how-to.
Alan
Last edited by Al Offt; Apr 08, 2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 03:15 PM
DUNDAS CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
566 Posts
Al, you are welcome. That is what I like in this thread. Lot of help if ask.

l want to make correction. The model is powered by AXI 4130/16 and not 6130/16. It was typo.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 05:18 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,868 Posts
Very nice Laddie. I will remember the prop technique.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP