HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2014, 05:25 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,781 Posts
Maybe you could make a pink foam mock up of the window assembly using formers to get the shape right. Seal it in water based poly U, Then you could send it to Sparky at ParkFlyer Plastics or build a simple vac forming machine yourself.

The reason I bring this up as a possibility is there are a lot of joints/corners that look really difficult. Also, even if you don't vac form it the foam mockup could be coated with wax and used as an assembly aid for gluing the various pieces together ahead of time..

Dave
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2014, 09:50 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2007
1,334 Posts
If you have the patience to make a plug, and you can find the right size of plastic bottle, the plug in the bottle method works good.
Arceenut is offline Find More Posts by Arceenut
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:48 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceenut View Post
If you have the patience to make a plug, and you can find the right size of plastic bottle, the plug in the bottle method works good.
Anybody got any good links for this? I've always wanted to try it.
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Jun 21, 2014, 06:49 AM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Heat Molding Plastic Canopies from Soda Bottles

I found this, and will try it:

http://www.foamflyer.info/canopy.pdf
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 45" Nas-Tee built up
Old Jun 21, 2014, 07:02 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,933 Posts
Quote:
That's how I do my canopies and cowlings. A few more bits, though:

First, if you can add a little ledge or extender to the edges of your work, it give room for trimming and it compensates for the plastic's shrinkage as it cools.

Second, if you're doing an opaque piece (i.e., cowling), shrink a second "cowl" on top of the first; they'll pretty much lock together (despite no glue) and the result is much stronger than the single layer of plastic.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jun 21, 2014, 09:41 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,954 Posts
I have used plastic bottles and sometimes walk the aisles of the grocery stores looking for the right shaped bottle. Sometimes I get lucky and find one, and have made a few into some pretty good canopies. But forming your own, or having Park Flyer plastics do it for you is, of course, the better way to go.

When I was looking for a canopy for my scratch-built Vampire jet, at first I carved one out of foam and sent it off to Park Flyer plastics to make a canopy. But Keith Sparks called me and told me he had about 5 canopies that were "dangerously close" to my mold already and sold all 5 to me for cheaper than it would cost to have him make one from my mold, and I did find one in that group that was perfect. So you might want to try Parkflyer Plastics too.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:24 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
Those black spring steel type paper clips can be helpful to hold sides of windshield flat against side pillars of the cabin while canopy glue dries on a Cub, etc. The come in a couple of sizes at office supply stores.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jun 23, 2014, 01:48 AM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post

http://www.foamflyer.info/canopy.pdf
I suggest saving up a few spar bottles or any plastic scrap packaging material then just playing and going for it.

For years, I always thought I needed a vacuum forming machine to form plastic so I never even tried. Then one day I just tried using a paint stripper heat gun , leather gloves and a plastic bottle. After that playing, I figure out how easy it really is to form plastic without special equipment. It's not as critical as one might think, it just comes down to heating and pulling or shrinking around a form. The rest is technique gained from practice. e.g. how much to heat, how much to pull and how much a bottle will shrink.
groundfx is offline Find More Posts by groundfx
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:35 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,954 Posts
That's good, but for just as much effort to build that pine form, you could have built a vacuum box with a bunch of holes drilled on top, and then made a form out of balsa, put in the middle, and taken plastic sheet and laid over it, then warmed it up in an oven, and then take it out, stick your vacuum hose in a hole on one side, turn it on and in about a second, you have a canopy.

That's a tool you can use over and over again too.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:20 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
I know that's the "right way" but I doubt it's faster. By the time you've done all that, I would have pulled my part. Actually probably 3 of them and one of that would be good enough to use. Lol.

Clearly there is the right way and the cheap and dirty way. Your way is best; I agree, I just think it's important to play with plastic to learn how it works. My method will develop a lot of intuition of how it can be worked.

Also, I doubt that a vacuum former would work well with the recycled PET plastic bottles I have used. That stuff takes serious muscles to pull into shape... it's not weak stuff.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:27 PM
Balsa&Tissue
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Jan 2011
2,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundfx View Post
I know that's the "right way" but I doubt it's faster. By the time you've done all that, I would have pulled my part. Actually probably 3 of them and one of that would be good enough to use. Lol.

Clearly there is the right way and the cheap and dirty way. Your way is best; I agree, I just think it's important to play with plastic to learn how it works. My method will develop a lot of intuition of how it can be worked.

Also, I doubt that a vacuum former would work well with the recycled PET plastic bottles I have used. That stuff takes serious muscles to pull into shape... it's not weak stuff.
Yeah, it shrinks so hard and fast it pulls right off the vac forming frames. I want to know how people form PET from bottles or from flat sheet because for me it pulls too hard.

Dave
payne9999 is offline Find More Posts by payne9999
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:29 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
Dave, try this technique: http://www.foamflyer.info/canopy.pdf as was previously posted. It does work well. Just ensure you pack in the filler/"make-up" blocks and have some extra wedges to jam in there as the plastic starts heating up. Also don't be afraid to wedge from one side and then when that's set, switch to the other side to add another wedge to ensure both ends of your part are good. There is nothing subtle about this technique... you'll break your mold before you'll break the plastic. That said, a well supported mold, even one carved from balsa is very strong.

I've seen a How it's Made episode about PET bottles. They start as little preforms that are pulled into shape (and blow molded with high pressure.) Thus I think that PET doesn't mind being pulled into shape. Hence why the wedges are used in the above technique. The great thing about PET is that it's basically free, very clear and very strong.
How It's Made Plastic Bottles & Jars (4 min 51 sec)
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:20 PM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
347 Posts
Norburn had some last time I was there a couple weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundfx View Post
I'm in the same boat once my Zap Formula 560 Canopy Glue runs out. I've heard that vinyl wall paper trim adhesive works well but I've yet to try it. Specifically, "SHUR-STIK #66 Lap and Seam Adhesive". It's available at your local Home Hardware, search "Wallpaper Glue" on their website and it should come up.

Let me know how it works if you test it.
Aviron is offline Find More Posts by Aviron
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:31 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviron View Post
Norburn had some last time I was there a couple weeks ago.
Okay cool. I will pick up a spare. He must be smuggling it in or the labeling requirements that forced it off the shelves must have changed.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 05:46 PM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
groundfx, payne9999, BD, et. al.

I like the idea of the vacuum former, but since I'm building only one plane a year, I think a heat gun would be more useful on other projects, and as Bare said, we're drowning in PET bottles and packaging....plenty of free raw material.

and I've got plenty of Band-Aids and burn cream !

the windshield will be a prominent subject in the build log.......when I get there.

thanks to all

C
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 45" Nas-Tee built up