HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2014, 05:47 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,561 Posts
Hey Jim, only of the finished wing I think.
Here you go. The layup was light, with only one layer of 6 oz glass cloth and one layer 400gsm uni for the spar cap. Note I made this much wider than usual, the theory being that because its all supported by the foam this would make for a stiffer wing than a thick and narrow cap. I used no stiffeners for the control surfaces, which came out pretty flexy and actually bowed a bit over time, but it didn't seem to harm the flying, except for going much faster than it should have! I dinged the leading edge quite a bit in its life, but the best part was I could just tape over it and keep flying- I never bothered repairing it. Just talking about it makes me want to build another one- it was my go to plane for a long time.
Cheers
Josh
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Last edited by josh18; Nov 10, 2014 at 05:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2014, 06:51 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
........................ I dinged the leading edge quite a bit in its life, but the best part was I could just tape over it and keep flying- I never bothered repairing it. J...........................
What remedy would you suggest to reinforce the leading edge with this method Josh?
I recall that Andrew also had some LE delamination problems too.
Would you just remove some of the foam back from the LE slightly and replace it with carbon tow and epoxy/flocks etc.?
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gravity hot wire foam cutter.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:58 AM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,561 Posts
Yeah I reckon that would work very well. Also you could make just the d box area of the layup much heavier than the rest and have a stronger leading edge but not much heavier wing. Andrew has also used carbon or fibreglass rods in the leading edge to spread the impact load.
All these would do the job I reckon
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18