HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:17 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,225 Posts
Slightly Off Topic Question.

Hi All, I have a question which I am posing here because I know that a lot of experts follow this thread who I am sure can help. To date I am flying my clone 450 with the 3X1000 FBL Unit and I am very happy with it. I selected ‘Soft 3D’ from John’s excellent program and without tweaking anything the model flies really well and is well matched to my ability (happy inverted in any orientation but not ‘stick banging’).
My question is, as this Unit does not seem to be developing like the Tarot version is should I re-flash it to Tarot software and buy a Tarot Prog. Box or leave it as it is? Is the Tarot software much better (nicer to fly) or should I follow the ‘don’t try to repair what isn’t broken’ rule??
Thanks in advance for any help or advice,
Paul B.
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:13 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,967 Posts
I have two 3x1000's, both on 450 pro's, and I may try cross-flashing one with the ZYX 2.5 firmware just to see if there's any difference.

On my 450, I found that the one thing that did benefit from changing parameters was the tail. The default settings in models #4 & #5 resulted in a fair bit of stop bounce, which I was able to dial out mainly by reducing the tail decel values.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:06 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
‘don’t try to repair what isn’t broken’ rule??
Paul B.
I have the cx1000 on my 450 pro and it has just worked from day 1. My ZYX, now 3.5, on my 500 has given me more problems, albeit some were mechanical. But there's no way I will flash my cx1000 to zyx 3.5 since it does always everything I tell it too. I've considered putting it on my 500...but don't fi what ain't broke!
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:03 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
Hi All, I have a question which I am posing here because I know that a lot of experts follow this thread who I am sure can help. To date I am flying my clone 450 with the 3X1000 FBL Unit and I am very happy with it. I selected ‘Soft 3D’ from John’s excellent program and without tweaking anything the model flies really well and is well matched to my ability (happy inverted in any orientation but not ‘stick banging’).
My question is, as this Unit does not seem to be developing like the Tarot version is should I re-flash it to Tarot software and buy a Tarot Prog. Box or leave it as it is? Is the Tarot software much better (nicer to fly) or should I follow the ‘don’t try to repair what isn’t broken’ rule??
Paul B.
Paul,

I have both and prefer the Tarot firmware - easier to get rid of the oscilations without having to drop the gains too low and just flies better. There has been a problem emerged recently with FFF into strong winds causing a sudden nose-up attitude, but it is easily avoidable and Tarot seem to be more supportive in new releases of the firmware etc.

I have recently cross flashed 2 of my CX1000s to Tarot firmware - but be aware that not all of them can.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:39 AM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Hi since the communication protocol has been reverse engineered, has any one managed to build a Arduino programmer for the zyx for programming in the fields? Shouldn't be too difficult I think?

Or if the protocol is documented somewhere i may have a try at coding it myself.
geekystar is offline Find More Posts by geekystar
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:58 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,973 Posts
Quote:
has any one managed to build a Arduino programmer for the zyx for programming in the fields
I didn't do but seriously considered this...
however, programming boxes are available,
also because of the many parameters it would be a pain when using only a 16x2 lcd display (and it wouldn't beat the price of teh available boxes), hence a graphical display with reasonable resolution would be highly desirable... but such Arduino shields are quite expensive and the alternative of DIY is not the easiest route... so I think, currently one is better of with an ebook or the available boxes
(I would however wonder about a smart phone app extension... simple serial BT adapters are cheaply available)
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
(I would however wonder about a smart phone app extension... simple serial BT adapters are cheaply available)
I agree. Bluetooth board cost less than £5 delivered and should be a direct connection to the 4 pins. All is needed is then a simple Android program. I think it would be more troublesome with iPhone due to its locked down Bluetooth stack?

But the Arduino box still sounds good as I was hoping to build a multifunction box for programming the gyro, testing servos, and also display Frsky telemetry data, and 9x tx AVR programmer. Maybe some other function integrated too.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
Just had another thought. Since the zyx uses ttl sonit maybe able to connect to the 9x and so the programming on it. A new firmware is needed and hardware need to be modded but should be achievable nonetheless. Should be no more difficult than adding the code for Frsky telemetry support.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
I would provide (modest) $ support for anyone reverse engineering the firmware. Specifically allowing mod'ed firmware to leverage CX1000 and ZYX best features and possibly new (adaptive?) algorithms. and vibe analysis. There is memory available if only 1 condition used.

Cheers,
Ken
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:41 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,963 Posts
Unfortunately the firmware is encrypted (probably AES), which requires a 8, 12 or 16 byte key to decrypt it. Only the manufacturer and the bootloader in the gyro, know what this key is. Also the ZYX and ZYX-S use different keys.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Yes, a challenging task indeed.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:01 AM
Indonesia, Tangerang Selatan, Pondok Cabe
Joined Sep 2010
31 Posts
Align 3GX USB Adapter

Hi all, I just bought a ALZRC 3GYS module for my ALRC 450 Pro, I'm ordering the USB adapter and it seems very long till it's arrived in indonesia. My friend using 3GX module for his Trex 450 Pro, can I use the 3GX USB adapter to programming my ALZRC 3GYS module?
SAK_080981 is offline Find More Posts by SAK_080981
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:12 AM
Cereal Killer.
USA, IA, Iowa City
Joined Jun 2009
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Paul,

I have both and prefer the Tarot firmware - easier to get rid of the oscilations without having to drop the gains too low and just flies better. There has been a problem emerged recently with FFF into strong winds causing a sudden nose-up attitude, but it is easily avoidable and Tarot seem to be more supportive in new releases of the firmware etc.

I have recently cross flashed 2 of my CX1000s to Tarot firmware - but be aware that not all of them can.

Cheers,
Mike
Very nice. Something that might be helpful is linking to the proper .bin files in your description, like you linked to the software in the two methods. I may get brave and try again this winter
branflake12 is offline Find More Posts by branflake12
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:07 PM
3D VFX Artist
USA, CA, Monrovia
Joined Jan 2008
2,042 Posts
I'm thinking of installing my CX gyro upside down. What do I need to reverse in the tx, gyro settings?
tonyastro is offline Find More Posts by tonyastro
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:54 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
949 Posts
Nothing in the TX but in the gyro you well need to change the compensations for tail and rotor and I thing peroite or at least check it to make sure.
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart