SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:11 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,942 Posts
Discussion
The Off Topic Champ Thread...Welcome!!!

All are welcome!!

As Mac had mentioned in the Hobbyzone Champ thread we all like to share a bit of off topic talk....planes we are building,new planes we get some o/t videos, you all get what i'm saying!

So here is a thread for all our off topic champ talk....that includes anything and everything!!

Below is a quote written by Mac,(MaladroitFL)you can find the yahoo page that Mac created here...http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UM_Flyers/

"Welcome!
We are certified Foam-Wreckers.
...Crashing planes all over the US and Canada!

This new group is dedicated to all those who fly ultra-micro airplanes made by Horizon Hobby/Hobbyzone/Parkzone and Flyzone too.
We are not concerned with larger scale planes, EDF jets or helis, but as long as you want to talk about the RC hobby as pertains to flying, you are welcome!

Post whatever you'd like, but we can't allow "nood," lewd or rude, otherwise YahooGroups will give us an adult stamp. We are "PG" rated -- at worst.

Our #1 Rule is: All members will respect other members and will not be rude or condescending to newbs. In fact, we are here to help newbs!

We're all friends here, so there is zero tolerance for flamers or those who disrespect others."

The above paragraphs in quotes was written by Mac...not me,I want to be sure Mac receives the credit for writing it!

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Jun 21, 2011 at 11:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:15 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Has anybody ever had to sneeze while flying? I almost lost a plane the other day, had to sneeze and looked up, "Where'd it go?"
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:17 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Went to the LHS so my girlfreind can get a new champ for our anniversary so I can get back in the action but to no avail, they didnt have any. But they did have the t28 which was really tempting...I could have just gotten that and binded it to my champ transmitter but I dont think that would have gone over to well.... oh well..the guys at the shop "think" the shipment should be in thursday or friday, so maybe Ill be back in the air on Saturday. If there even is a champ on the shipment....

slo-fly all the time lol. Luckily I get a glimpse of it before it whacks something and I bail out.
GJOsik is offline Find More Posts by GJOsik
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:17 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,132 Posts
I was nose heavy my first attemp. I am working on a dual motor, Brushless, seaplane idea at the moment. Still in concept phase. LOL. I want the plans to that a5se (sp), I think I have all I need to build one. haha. Happy Flyin. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:18 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo-fly View Post
Has anybody ever had to sneeze while flying? I almost lost a plane the other day, had to sneeze and looked up, "Where'd it go?"
I have never had to sneeze...but mosquitoes biting my fingers and i go to blow them off and have almost crashed...need a little fan on the tx to blow over my hands to keep the bugs from biting my fingers!! lol

Ridgewalker
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:20 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
I have never had to sneeze...but mosquitoes biting my fingers and i go to blow them off and have almost crashed...need a little fan on the tx to blow over my hands to keep the bugs from biting my fingers!! lol

Ridgewalker
haha, stick extensions, a fan, whats next..a brew holder on the bottom with a tube to your mouth?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:22 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJOsik View Post
Went to the LHS so my girlfreind can get a new champ for our anniversary so I can get back in the action but to no avail, they didnt have any. But they did have the t28 which was really tempting...
That stinks they didn't have a champ.

Just maiden the T-28 tonigh and wow!...what a cool plane to fly!!...can't wait till my skills improve so i can really have some fun with it.

Definitely would recommend getting one if you can fly the champ well.

Mostly stayed low with it...and it can fly pretty slow,kind of like the champ..i really like it!!

If you can't find the champ you will be happy with the t-28!

Ridgewalker
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:23 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,942 Posts
Quote:
haha, stick extensions, a fan, whats next..a brew holder on the bottom with a tube to your mouth?
HA,HA,HA!!!!

Ridgewalker
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:24 PM
Champs Anonymous Member
Joined Mar 2011
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
That stinks they didn't have a champ.

Just maiden the T-28 tonigh and wow!...what a cool plane to fly!!...can't wait till my skills improve so i can really have some fun with it.

Definitely would recommend getting one if you can fly the champ well.

Mostly stayed low with it...and it can fly pretty slow,kind of like the champ..i really like it!!

If you can't find the champ you will be happy with the t-28!

Ridgewalker
Not trying to be bashful or gloat, but personally, I think I did extremely well with the champ. Which makes me think I would be fine with the t-28...would controlling it be to hard on the stock tx, which is the same as the champs?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:26 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Awesome Ridge, thanks for making this thread!

Let's just make sure it's alright with Mac too as he worked hard to create the Yahoo thread. Hey Ridge, maybe you could post his welcome message in the first post!

"Welcome!
We are certified Foam-Wreckers.
...Crashing planes all over the US and Canada!

This new group is dedicated to all those who fly ultra-micro airplanes made by Horizon Hobby/Hobbyzone/Parkzone and Flyzone too.
We are not concerned with larger scale planes, EDF jets or helis, but as long as you want to talk about the RC hobby as pertains to flying, you are welcome!

Post whatever you'd like, but we can't allow "nood," lewd or rude, otherwise YahooGroups will give us an adult stamp. We are "PG" rated -- at worst.

Our #1 Rule is: All members will respect other members and will not be rude or condescending to newbs. In fact, we are here to help newbs!

We're all friends here, so there is zero tolerance for flamers or those who disrespect others."

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UM_Flyers/

He has a great picture too, it would be nice if someone had a snapshot of a really big micro fleet. Just a couple of thoughts, thanks again Ridge and Mac!

--

P.S. I think it would be best to keep the first post generic and as an overview to the thread.

Glad you had a blast with the T-28!
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:29 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
Quote:
LMAO!!! That's a great idea!

A plane crashed about 10' behind me about 2 weeks ago while I was flying, naturally I turned behind me to see what happened and then realized I'm still up in the air! Luckily nothing happened but distractions can catch you off gaurd sometimes!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:37 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,942 Posts
Quote:
Not trying to be bashful or gloat, but personally, I think I did extremely well with the champ. Which makes me think I would be fine with the t-28...would controlling it be to hard on the stock tx, which is the same as the champs?
I really don't know how it would feel with a stock tx.

The first flight i set my travel to %60 and expo to +40..flew a couple circuits around the field and i didn't like how it was turning..and at this point i was only using aileron to turn while pulling a little up elevator..like flying the champ.

Then i moved the elevator pushrod in two holes as well as the rudder for more travel and also set the travel in the tx to %100 with +25 expo.

It felt much better and turned a lot better as well...couple more circuits around the field and i started using rudder...boy!...was it nice!!

You can really turn this plane well..and the whole time i never went to full throttle.

I used a 500 mah battery for the flight because the wind was about 3 mph...the whole maiden flight session lasted 24 min from plugging in the battery to unplugging it...with stops for adjustment many times trying different battery placement for cog.

Have to edit the video down a bit and i'll get it up.

I would say if you can fly the champ well...like be able to handle some wind with it then you should be able to fly the t-28 alright.

The first flight was a hand launch at half throttle.

Ridgewalker
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:43 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Can't wait to see the video Ridge! I hope you put it up before I go to sleep!

Can you post a video of how the ailerons work when you have time? I have never seen ailerons working before up close. Thanks a lot Ridge!

BTW, did you do any barrel rolls?
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:52 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,942 Posts
No barrel rolls!..lol

Just easy going new guy on a 4ch micro plane flying..lol

Ridgewalker
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:11 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
The best mod I found for my Champ was the extra visibility mod I did. I put on a baseball cap and sunglasses. Wow, what a difference.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister