HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:44 PM
RC Newbie
United States, OR, Gresham
Joined Mar 2013
53 Posts
Question
NiMH or LiPo batteries?

I am purchasing the Vaterra Kalahari truck and it comes with a 7.1V 1200NiMH battery. The website seems to indicate that you can also use a 3S 11.1V LiPo. What I don't understand is if you can simply plug in the LiPo to the car or if there needs to be some other adapter or something you have to change out.

Our batteries universal like that??

I am a noob to the sport. This will be my first car. But I have 11.V 3S LiPos from my RC planes I am hoping i can use..

Thanks in advance
Kalion is offline Find More Posts by Kalion
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:01 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,911 Posts
The battery type doesn't dictate the type of connector. You can get a lipo with the same connector as an NiMh.

Whether your planes' lipos will fit, both for size and for the connector, remains to be seen. Does Vaterre not have some data about the recommended 3S lipo for that car? Or a picture of it? That way you can see what connector it uses, and look at the specs what the dimensions are.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:08 PM
RC Newbie
Joined Mar 2013
53 Posts
This is one of the LiPo options on the Vatarra website:
http://www.vaterrarc.com/Products/De...ProdID=DYN1477

It is an ECS power connector which matches what I have on my existing LiPo's, so I guess I am good!
Existing Batteries used for my planes: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
The battery type doesn't dictate the type of connector. You can get a lipo with the same connector as an NiMh.

Whether your planes' lipos will fit, both for size and for the connector, remains to be seen. Does Vaterre not have some data about the recommended 3S lipo for that car? Or a picture of it? That way you can see what connector it uses, and look at the specs what the dimensions are.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:37 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,911 Posts
Looks like it should work. Just to be safe, observe polarity before plugging in the battery. Sometimes manufacturers have differences there, even when using the same connector.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:59 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Those 3s batteries are on the small side for a truck like this, but might be ok as long as you keep an eye on temps and gearing.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:42 PM
RC Newbie
Joined Mar 2013
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Those 3s batteries are on the small side for a truck like this, but might be ok as long as you keep an eye on temps and gearing.
What do you mean they are on the small side? You mean like battery life wise? I also ordered some 3S 2100mah 11.1V Hyperion batteries for my planes.. perhaps I could use that in the Kalahari? (if it fits).

Also, how do I keep an eye on temperatures (temps where?), and what do you mean by keep an eye on gearing? I am sorry, this is literally my very first RC truck/car (except for little toy ones when I was a little kid).

Appreciate any help you can throw my way
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:34 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Yeah, small side for capacity. A 2100mah pack will be better if it'll fit in the truck.

Watch temperatures of the motor and ESC, an easy test is to see if you can keep your finger on them for more than 3-4 seconds comfortably. If things are too hot, you need to either run less voltage or change the gearing to keep the heat down.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old May 13, 2013, 12:39 AM
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
The 3s battery that the Kalahari manual recommends is a 1400 pack. I ran a 2 cell 2000 pack in my Kalahari today for a solid 15 minutes and I only had to put in about 850mah back into it, meaning I likely could have ran for a solid half hour.
A 3s 1400 pack would be just fine as far as drive-time goes. They're cheap, bring 3 or 4 and you're bound to break something before you run out of juice

I checked the fit of my plane 3s packs (2200mah), and you'll need to remove the battery posts in the truck and use something like a strip of velcro in the tray instead to get them to fit. I did this and was able to squeeze a 3s 2200mah pack in the chassis nicely. Just be sure that they're stuck in place good, so they don't slide towards the moving driveshaft.

First and foremost though, you need to think about the gearing. The manual recommends a 12-tooth pinion for the motor to run on 3s. The stock 16 tooth is not recommended for 3s use, but I'm sure you could get away with it if you watch the temps - if nothing else, use a larger spur gear maybe - the truck came with a couple options in that baggie. You might run the motor too hot if you don't change something up.

Another important note is that the ESC comes programmed for NIMH, and needs to be set to Lipo instead so that the Low voltage cut-off is set properly for Lipo use. Otherwise you might run your Lipos down too low and effectively ruin them.

The manual states all of this and tells you how to reprogram the esc and whatnot too, pretty simple to do.

Happy driving!
midnightsabotage is offline Find More Posts by midnightsabotage
Last edited by midnightsabotage; May 13, 2013 at 03:12 AM.