HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
734 Posts
Discussion
Noob with Blade MSR ?'s

Been flying planes for a little while now and have a decent grip on them. Decided to get a couple indoor helis for my son and I to fly when the weather isn't so great. Bought a couple of Blade MSR's from an RCG member at a smoking deal. One looks out o' the box new while the other only had a very minor scratch or 2 so I'm extremely pleased with my purchase.

Now for my questions. The one with a couple scratches has the toilet bowl effect when trying to hover. Comparing it to the other heli, the flybar is much stiffer so I'm thinking the feathering spindle needs to be rebuilt/replaced. Probably throw a new set of grips on while it's apart since these are cheap. Am I headed in the right direction on this? Anything else I need to look at?

Second, I'm trying to figure out CG. My thinking is battery too far forward = forward movement with no input. Too far rearward = rear movement with no input. Of course I will need to trim a little to get a good steady hover but just wondering if I'm on the right track with CG.

Thanks in advance!
Shane
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:45 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Those soft plastic parts in the MSR head do wear out. Rebuilding with new head parts will always help, but TBE may be difficult to isolate. The battery only fits one way in the MSR. Unless you are using some odd batteries, there should be no CoG issues.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:37 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
TBE on my mSR (if it wasn't broken in some way) was almost always caused by "balance fighting trim" if that makes sense. So, balancing it over the main shaft is pretty important, but trimming the swash is equally important. If the helicopter is out of trim, it will generate enough cyclic pitch to throw it off, but the stabilizer will fight against that, but it will be slightly behind, causing toilet bowl.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Jul 2012
734 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I'm guessing I do have some worn parts so I will begin by replacing those and setting the mechanical trim. I managed to lose one of those tiny @!~*% screws and need to pick up some spares anyway. From everything I can find the swash plate should be square with the main shaft. I'll take a look at that also. Hope to have this thing flying soon.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Jul 2012
734 Posts
One more question. How important is it to use the swash plate calibration tool? Didn't get that with the 2 helis but might need to pick one up from the LHS.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:04 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
One more question. How important is it to use the swash plate calibration tool? Didn't get that with the 2 helis but might need to pick one up from the LHS.
If the swash stays where it belongs you never need it, but its critical after a crash if the swash moves.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:09 PM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
618 Posts
I have two MSR's but haven't flown them in over a year.

For assistance with the TBE you might want to take a look at Heli Freak: http://www.helifreak.com/ There is plenty there on this topic.

I found that using teflon lubricant (Dry Ice) worked for me.
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Jul 2012
734 Posts
Done a ton of reading on this so far. Haven't found a definitive answer but lots of good suggestions so I have plenty to look at. Got to get by the LHS for parts and and get it torn down. I'll let you know what I find.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:34 PM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
When using this, get your fingers on the body of the swashplate when pushing towards the head. I have seen videos where they push up on the little rod sticking out of the back of the swashplate and I don't think that is good. If your bearings have popped out of the swashplate a little, you should hear a little pop when it goes back in using this tool. Most of the time when I use it, nothing really happens.

From what I remember reading, the bearing in the swashplate is designed to pop free during a crash to prevent damage and the calibration tool is primarily to pop it back in. I can't remember where I read that, but I read it somewhere on the internet.
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Optim 80 CP Review
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:37 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micubano View Post
When using this, get your fingers on the body of the swashplate when pushing towards the head. I have seen videos where they push up on the little rod sticking out of the back of the swashplate and I don't think that is good. If your bearings have popped out of the swashplate a little, you should hear a little pop when it goes back in using this tool. Most of the time when I use it, nothing really happens.

From what I remember reading, the bearing in the swashplate is designed to pop free during a crash to prevent damage and the calibration tool is primarily to pop it back in. I can't remember where I read that, but I read it somewhere on the internet.
Wow, that never happened to mine... but the whole thing slipped up or down on the shaft before. The distance between the head and the swash is what sets the pitch - so you might be able to set it correctly without the tool by finding zero pitch, unless yeah, the bearing came apart. You can use ball-link pliers to push those back together.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Jul 2012
734 Posts
Not sure exactly what I did but the TBE is completely gone! Removed the blade grips and and sanded the link balls a little. Got her back together with all the old parts parts and she hovers hands off. Whatever I did freed up the flybar so apparently that was what caused the issue. Thanks to everyone for all the help!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:26 PM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Wow, that never happened to mine... but the whole thing slipped up or down on the shaft before. The distance between the head and the swash is what sets the pitch - so you might be able to set it correctly without the tool by finding zero pitch, unless yeah, the bearing came apart. You can use ball-link pliers to push those back together.
I got my MSR used and beat up by a ceiling fan so there were a lot of adjustments, minor crashes and parts changes over the past two months. Last night was the first time I was able to do a 30 second hands free hover. I only had the swashplate pop back into place once, and that was after I read an article suggesting what I mentioned. After that, it just leveled and adjusted the position without any popping. It must not be something that happens that often.
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Optim 80 CP Review