HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:49 AM
Joined Sep 2011
28 Posts
Discussion
ESC advice

I am new to the e-flight planes. I have built a few foamies and ordered a epo trainer. For the foamies I used the turnigy plush esc's and the turnigy motors. ( why not go cheap when learning),

For future projects I would like to find a decent brand of ESC to stick with and not end up with 10 different types. Not top of the line but not bottom either. Mabye a line that hads switching over 40 amp.
carpdoctor is offline Find More Posts by carpdoctor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:43 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdoctor View Post
For future projects I would like to find a decent brand of ESC to stick with and not end up with 10 different types. Not top of the line but not bottom either. Mabye a line that hads switching over 40 amp.
You have found a decent brand already. Turnigy Plush fulfills all of the above criteria. Do not be fooled by the low price, you will need to spend a lot more money to better the performance and reliability of these ESCs.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:46 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdoctor View Post
I am new to the e-flight planes. I have built a few foamies and ordered a epo trainer. For the foamies I used the turnigy plush esc's and the turnigy motors. ( why not go cheap when learning),

Pay less get a lot more. These are identical to Turnigy Plush (including the same program card) are of very high quality and work at their limits. Click on the 70 amp model to see all the specs on all of them. I have never had a problem with this manufcturer's ESCs who is actually Hobby Wing.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/detrumdynamesc.html
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:08 AM
Joined Sep 2011
28 Posts
Thanks for the input.
carpdoctor is offline Find More Posts by carpdoctor
Old Sep 18, 2011, 07:02 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
Pay less get a lot more. These are identical to Turnigy Plush (including the same program card) are of very high quality and work at their limits. Click on the 70 amp model to see all the specs on all of them. I have never had a problem with this manufcturer's ESCs who is actually Hobby Wing.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/detrumdynamesc.html
So looking at their 40A ESC it says "[Li-xx]/servos: 2/5 3/4 " what is the 2/5 and 3/4?
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Sep 18, 2011, 07:15 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
So looking at their 40A ESC it says "[Li-xx]/servos: 2/5 3/4 " what is the 2/5 and 3/4?
This is, strictly, a guess on my part but I think it is oudated information for the ESC before the entire line went to switching BEC. It looks like the old derating on servos when the BEC used resistive drop rather than switching. The higher the cell count the more heat, so you had to have lower total current draw with higher voltages. Switching SBECs are full current across the whole cell count. Maybe somebody else can comment on this.
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM