SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:13 PM
Joined Apr 2014
33 Posts
Yep, and it's super expensive... Better buy another OSD for the price!
Yesterday I flew in heavy wind and the RTH was totally lost due to the bad heading information (and probably some gains a bit too high too ). I thought that a compass would help...

To bad! Thanks anyway.
BuBu2 is online now Find More Posts by BuBu2
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:26 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBu2 View Post
Yep, and it's super expensive... Better buy another OSD for the price!
Yesterday I flew in heavy wind and the RTH was totally lost due to the bad heading information (and probably some gains a bit too high too ). I thought that a compass would help...

To bad! Thanks anyway.

Try compass mode 7 for heavy wind, it shows your plane's heading and actual position relative to home and is much more useful than just a home arrow IMO
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Oct 20, 2014, 04:39 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
Try compass mode 7 for heavy wind, it shows your plane's heading and actual position relative to home and is much more useful than just a home arrow IMO
Agreed. Compass Mode 7 is my favorite.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:13 PM
Unbridled Spirit of Kentucky
Joined Feb 2013
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Tech View Post
Notice you are 'out of stock'. I have purchased one in the past - and they are quite good. I'm happy with them. They are very light, and appear to be quite strong.

I have started the ball rolling regarding Paypal and MadLabIndustries. My money is safe. I will either get my money back, or get the cases. Looks like another happy ending at some point in the future.
I was fortunate then for the shipped quickly. Hope it works out. The case I got from them works great for the DOSD.
clrd4appr is offline Find More Posts by clrd4appr
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:37 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clrd4appr View Post
I was fortunate then for the shipped quickly. Hope it works out. The case I got from them works great for the DOSD.
Well, the update so far for the non-show with MadLabIndustries is that I have started the dispute through paypal after they did not reply to messages.
The only reaction from them is that the order's status has now moved from "Processing" to "On-hold". They have not replied to any messages.
This has got to be the worst customer service I have encountered by a long shot.
If they had told me that there is a hold-up, or sent me a courtesy message telling me what, where, why, when or ANYTHING, I'd be okay, and I'd wait, but NOTHING.
Oh well, guess I won't be buying from them again.
Old_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Old_Tech
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:08 PM
Joined Jul 2012
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Tech View Post
Well, the update so far for the non-show with MadLabIndustries is that I have started the dispute through paypal after they did not reply to messages.
The only reaction from them is that the order's status has now moved from "Processing" to "On-hold". They have not replied to any messages.
This has got to be the worst customer service I have encountered by a long shot.
If they had told me that there is a hold-up, or sent me a courtesy message telling me what, where, why, when or ANYTHING, I'd be okay, and I'd wait, but NOTHING.
Oh well, guess I won't be buying from them again.
To be honest, if a package never shows up or I have any problems with it, I just make a paypal claim. There's no such thing as customer service anymore on the internet, it's more like getting out of their responsibilities and covering their asses, liability wise. Most businesses these days will toss you around like a rag doll till you get tired and give up trying to get your funds. namely hobbyking. They won't front up with cash at all.
kamoflarj is online now Find More Posts by kamoflarj
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:08 AM
Joined Apr 2014
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it!
However my problem was that my well-tuned autopilot failed completely in a heavy wind situation. Probably the consequence of a poor compass information...
BuBu2 is online now Find More Posts by BuBu2
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:19 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBu2 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it!
However my problem was that my well-tuned autopilot failed completely in a heavy wind situation. Probably the consequence of a poor compass information...
Well in a very high wind your plane may be facing home and with full power, but moving backwards across the ground due to the headwind - in which case GPS will tell the plane it's going backwards, and AP will turn the plane. At least with CM7 you can kind of see what's going on.
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Oct 22, 2014, 01:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
286 Posts
I've had this same issue with mine. The gains can be set perfectly for one situation, but the other day it wouldnt turn right? It was a North-east crosswind. it was heading 290 degrees and home was 320 degrees, it decided to turn down wind and do a full 360 rather than just alter right? I've never experienced this before.
Old Yesterday, 12:56 AM
Joined Jul 2012
286 Posts
Ok today I was crusing back home on RTH, Flicked the autopilot switch OFF, Regained control of the plane, apart from the throttle would did not respond. Made emergency landing and discovered that when given throttle inputs from my Tx, the motor would just kind of stutter, as if the ESC had a problem. I simply unplugged the OSD and ESC power and it worked as normal? Is there any known issue for this with DOSD?
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoflarj View Post
Ok today I was crusing back home on RTH, Flicked the autopilot switch OFF, Regained control of the plane, apart from the throttle would did not respond. Made emergency landing and discovered that when given throttle inputs from my Tx, the motor would just kind of stutter, as if the ESC had a problem. I simply unplugged the OSD and ESC power and it worked as normal? Is there any known issue for this with DOSD?
I've never experienced anything like that. How is your throttle connected...via the DOSD or straight connect to your Rx?
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
Joined Jul 2012
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I've never experienced anything like that. How is your throttle connected...via the DOSD or straight connect to your Rx?
via PWM 3 on the DOSD. Throttle mode 2, throttle step 2. I'm hoping its just my crappy ESC. Hobbyking 60A w/3A BEC. I don't have the bec connected though, using a seperate castle 10A BEC for the Rx + PWM rail
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoflarj View Post
via PWM 3 on the DOSD. Throttle mode 2, throttle step 2. I'm hoping its just my crappy ESC. Hobbyking 60A w/3A BEC. I don't have the bec connected though, using a seperate castle 10A BEC for the Rx + PWM rail
I actually found I didn't like the 'feel' of cruise control...meaning when I throttled up I expected the motor to respond, but didn't because it was already flying at set cruise speed. I just felt disconnected from the control loop. What I did instead is just set my DL Rx failsafe to engage AP and apply ~1/2 throttle (which is a little more than needed to maintain my normal cruise speed). Now in AP mode I still have full throttle control (using Throttle Mode 1), but should I actually failsafe I still have enough throttle signal to power back home...even if I never regain Tx/Rx control.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
Joined Jul 2012
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I actually found I didn't like the 'feel' of cruise control...meaning when I throttled up I expected the motor to respond, but didn't because it was already flying at set cruise speed. I just felt disconnected from the control loop. What I did instead is just set my DL Rx failsafe to engage AP and apply ~1/2 throttle (which is a little more than needed to maintain my normal cruise speed). Now in AP mode I still have full throttle control (using Throttle Mode 1), but should I actually failsafe I still have enough throttle signal to power back home...even if I never regain Tx/Rx control.
I think I might just reset it back to manual/fail safe throttle for now like you say. I don't have a barometic system at the moment anyway, so could be a disaster. I'm not going to fly my plane again till I replace the ESC, as I suspect it's probably the culprit.