New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2016, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by G.F. Beurling
Buildn it one stick at a time!
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2001
684 Posts
Discussion
All CA glues are NOT the same. Buy good stuff!

To you beginners out there; All CA instant glue for our RC construction purposes is NOT the same. Don't get suckered into buying no name junk and wasting a lot of time and energy as I had done unwittingly for the last 9 months!!

I got back into the hobby after an 8 year absence to find that the industry standard is no longer the excellent Pacer Industies brand "ZAP" glue in the hot pink plastic bottle that use to be sold everywhere. It seems everybody and his brother now sells something else other then Zap. (for a bigger profit margin I'm sure). Well, I mistakenly thought Cyanoacrylate glue was all the same, much the way like Acetone, laquer thinner, or Turpentine is all the same. So, I bought a bottle of CA glue in the hobby department of Hobby Lobby and spent the next 9 months and 150 hours building a new plane with that glue. It seldom bonded instantly, and I though perhaps the wood density was different then what I had worked with years ago. Or I wondered if my memory was playing tricks on me and that CA glue never quite worked as fast as I though it had years ago.

Well, I finally ran out of thatHobby Lobby brand crap, and opened up a new plastic bottle of "Tower Hobbies" CA glue. VOILA!!.... to my joy the balsa wood glues instantly on contact, while smoke rose up from the surface and my fingers got stuck to the work.....just like I remember.
G.F. Beurling is offline Find More Posts by G.F. Beurling
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2016, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by Balsaworkbench
A man with a plan
United States, MO, Osceola
Joined Nov 2014
1,282 Posts
I know what you mean about the off-brand CA products. They're terrible.

Tower CA is very good, but I hate the bottle. The best glue/bottle combination in my opinion is Bob Smith Industries, which is sold by a lot of hobby stores as the house brand. You can get it on ebay under the Bob Smith name.

I like the non-round bottle that you can squeeze sideways to suck the glue back down the spout. And if it drips down the spout, you can get it off. I've tried other brands, but the stupid bottles always drive me crazy. I had a 2 ounce bottle of Tower thin CA, which is an excellent product, with about a half inch left. The spout was all messed up and was creating a lot of waste. I happened to finish a bottle of Bob Smith medium, so I poured the rest of the Tower thin into the empty bottle, which still had a perfect tip on it.

I could go on all day about the good and the bad glue bottles. I'll try to control myself.
Balsaworkbench is online now Find More Posts by Balsaworkbench
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:37 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2001
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench View Post
I know what you mean about the off-brand CA products. They're terrible.

Tower CA is very good, but I hate the bottle. The best glue/bottle combination in my opinion is Bob Smith Industries, which is sold by a lot of hobby stores as the house brand. You can get it on ebay under the Bob Smith name.

I like the non-round bottle that you can squeeze sideways to suck the glue back down the spout. And if it drips down the spout, you can get it off. I've tried other brands, but the stupid bottles always drive me crazy. I had a 2 ounce bottle of Tower thin CA, which is an excellent product, with about a half inch left. The spout was all messed up and was creating a lot of waste. I happened to finish a bottle of Bob Smith medium, so I poured the rest of the Tower thin into the empty bottle, which still had a perfect tip on it.

I could go on all day about the good and the bad glue bottles. I'll try to control myself.
Yea, I've learned to keep a pin handy to unclog the nozzle. It's also handy to save the little red and blue caps off the Bob Smith plastic epoxy bottles. Those things often get lost.

BTW, you probably know this, but others may not;

Iif you put CA (and batteries too!) in the refrigerator it will last for years. I still have two bottles there from years ago before I dropped out of the hobby. One bottle is unopened, and when I shook the bottle it still flows like syrup. The other bottle I had already opened back in July of 2005 (I wrote the date on it). It shook like very thick syrup when I checked on it. I poured a little bit of acetone into that bottle (about 25% by volume) and stirred it up so it thinned out to the density of tomato juice. I'm now using this 10 year old bottle of "thick" CA on my mini-Seniorita project. The stuff works great. When refrigetated and renewed with acetone, the stuff seldom goes to waste.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by burlesontom
Joined Nov 2011
134 Posts
I also like the Bob Smith glues. I bought two bottles of Great Planes CA from a local HS. The thick CA was completely solid in the bottle and I never used a drop of it. The "Thin" turned to thick in just a couple of weeks and was no longer useable. I threw both of them away. Never again will I buy Great Planes CA. And I keep my CA in the fridge. Always have.

Bob Smith CA works to the last drop. So did Carl Goldberg Jet glues. I am not sure it is still made though.
burlesontom is offline Find More Posts by burlesontom
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:00 PM
A man with a plan
Joined Nov 2014
1,282 Posts
Carl Goldberg Jet is good stuff. I hated the bottle, though.
Old May 06, 2016, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by marmalade1
United States, IL, Wheaton
Joined Sep 2013
597 Posts
I started reading this thread as I began a new build (Sig Wonder)

Reading about that satisfying smoke and stinging of the eyes made me reassess my CA choice.

I got some very thin BSI CA and what an improvement. Now I just use my Great Planes Medium CA for joints that I need a little working time for.

Thanks for the thread Randal!

PD
marmalade1 is online now Find More Posts by marmalade1
Old May 06, 2016, 11:48 PM
A man with a plan
Joined Nov 2014
1,282 Posts
Yeah! That's the good stuff!
Old May 11, 2016, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by Hemikiller
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
2,187 Posts
CA has shelf life, so if your LHS doesn't turn their stock over quickly, you might just get a bum bottle. I wish all the mfrs would put a "born on" date on the bottle.

FWIW, I hated Bob Smith glues I bought from one of my LHSes because they never seemed to really work well. I sent an email to the company with my concerns. Received a reply promptly, they wanted my address and sent me a "care package" with an assortment of their product range. What a difference having fresh glue made!
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2016, 06:42 PM
Find More Posts by burlesontom
Joined Nov 2011
134 Posts
You can buy BSI glues off ebay. don't know how fresh it is but I bet the sellers have a good turn over. Any popular shop with lots of traffic should have fresh glue. And a born on date would be great.
burlesontom is offline Find More Posts by burlesontom
Old May 27, 2016, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RC Warjet
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2013
1,982 Posts
If you have a Hobby Lobby craft store in your area, they also carry the complete line of BSI stuff at pretty good prices.
Warjet1950 is offline Find More Posts by Warjet1950
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2016, 12:43 AM
Find More Posts by Cerus98
United States, IL, De Soto
Joined Oct 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Miller View Post
Iif you put CA (and batteries too!) in the refrigerator it will last for years.
That may have been sorta true for the early rechargeable batteries but not with modern ones these days. You can actually damage the batteries doing this via condensation or potential freezing temperatures (yes certain parts of a fridge can get that cold) and ruin them.

Batteries should be stored in a dry place at room temp. CA in the fridge yes but not batteries. You gain very little for a big risk.
Cerus98 is offline Find More Posts by Cerus98
Old May 28, 2016, 05:23 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2001
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerus98 View Post
That may have been sorta true for the early rechargeable batteries but not with modern ones these days. You can actually damage the batteries doing this via condensation or potential freezing temperatures (yes certain parts of a fridge can get that cold) and ruin them.

Batteries should be stored in a dry place at room temp. CA in the fridge yes but not batteries. You gain very little for a big risk.
Sorry to disagree, but I've heard this too, and it is more of a broad brush-stroke statement that myself and others have disproved with actual experience. You don't want to subject the batteries to freezing, and the condensation damage you mention is the acception and NOT the rule. I've got numerous batteries that are over 12 years old in the vegetable crisper draw that still work just fine . I have averaged about one in 4 or 5 cells that will not work and have to be tossed, but the majority do work fine all these years later. Try leaving nicad batteries on your shelf at room temperature for 6 years and report back to me how many still work and can be used. (none!).....never mind 12 years. Very simply put......when you subject batteries to cold temperatures (NOT freezing), the molecular activity inside them is slowed down considerably. It's the same process and no different then with the chemical compostion of CA glues and some epoxy paints too.
Last edited by G.F. Beurling; May 28, 2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old May 31, 2016, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by Charlee
Templeton, CA
Joined Jan 2005
112 Posts
BSI at Hobby Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warjet1950 View Post
If you have a Hobby Lobby craft store in your area, they also carry the complete line of BSI stuff at pretty good prices.
Hobby Lobby only has BSI's 5 & 30 minute epoxy and Foam-Cure. We're working on getting our CAs into their stock. It isn't easy.

Charlee Smith
BSI
Charlee is offline Find More Posts by Charlee
Old Jun 02, 2016, 11:30 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2001
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Hobby Lobby only has BSI's 5 & 30 minute epoxy and Foam-Cure. We're working on getting our CAs into their stock. It isn't easy.

Charlee Smith
BSI
I have never had a complaint about Bob Smith epoxies, and they always worked just fine. I use to buy them at the local H shops years ago. But I almost never go to the Hobby shops these days due to poor inventory selection. I order 3/4 of my general construction items from Tower Hobbies including glues. Tower glues work well enough, but, are not as fine as BSI, or Devcon. I don't know if BSI epoxies have the same identical chemical make-up from years ago; but of commendable note, I particularly remember that my open bottles of BSI epoxy would stay liquid and useable for years, while other brands hardened and had to be tossed! ( ie; While I would use the 5-6 minute epoxies a lot on a project, the 15 or 30 minute epoxies were used much less often and I'd have the same opened bottles last me for years)
Old Jun 04, 2016, 06:01 AM
Find More Posts by gene6029
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
800 Posts
++++BSI CA. Love their bottles too....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029