Banggood's FMS 90mm EDF/Brushless Motor Review Part 1

A mini review of a new 90mm motor/EDF fan combination from Banggood and FMS at a great price.

Splash

Introduction

Brand Name: FMS
Sold By: Banggood
Item: 90mm 12 blade Ducted Fan
Motor: 3546 KV1900
Weight: 335g
Total Length: 158mm
Outer Diameter: 93mm
Working Voltage: 6s 22.2v
Blades: 12
Rotor Blade Material: Nylon Composite With Fiber
Static Thrust: Around 3,500g ( 112A)
Battery: 6S 5000 LiPo
ESC: 120A
Manufacturer: FMS
Available From: Banggood
Price: $65.99 with Free Shipping

The motor arrived in a rather plain black box inside a shipping box. It had no instruction manual or pictures. Fortunately Banggood had some pictures on their website and the pictures below are a combination of their pictures and mine. The pictures showing the disassembled motor are from their Website which is linked in the box to the right of here.

Kit Includes

Included Items

• 1 x FMS 90mm 12 Blade Ducted Fan EDF with 3546 KV1900 Brushless Motor Attached

Promoted Features

Features:

• All composite materials processing and injection molding processing, light weight, power system 327 g, has ultra high rigidity and toughness.
  • First-class mold design,ensure the blades have perfect dynamic balance,the blade fits nicely in the duct, sound effect and efficiency value are comparable to all metal duct units on the market.
  • FMS pioneering thermal design,in does not affect the efficiency of the case,ensure the motor's normal working,no need to worry that the motor heating will affect the life and performance.
  • Reasonable structure design,you can arbitrarily choose different manufacturers motor,this item can e assembled to all the 90 ducted airplane,no need to make too many manual changes to the aircraft.

Assembly

No assembly was required as the motor came fully mounted into the ducted fan unit. The fan consists of 12 blades that are composite and rigid. The unit should mount into a plane designed for a 90mm ducted fan without much difficulty but that was not actually tested at this time. I was able to connect the motor to a High Voltage 120A Castle ESC that I have from the plane previously intended for this review.

Bench Test

I was able to bench test this motor and fan combination by mounting the motor to a board that served as the bench mount. I was safely able to run the motor up to about 3/4's throttle using the Castle ESC, a Spectrum receiver and Spectrum DX-9 transmitter and a 6-cell Roaring Top 2700mAh 35C battery pack and a 6-cell 5,000 40C battery pack. the motor ran smoothly but I didn't trust my homemade motor mount to continue to work if I supplied full throttle. the operation of the motor and fans was smooth and indoors in a small room it sounded very jet like. Outdoors the sound will still be nice but not as powerful as it was in a small room. The price of the motor is very reasonable and I was very pleased with the unit in the limited testing I was able to perform. I ran both batteries through the motor at half throttle and 3/4's throttle several times. When my weighted down homemade mounting bench on the floor started to move I ended the testing.

Conclusion

I have been pleased with my limited results and I look forward to further testing with an actual plane. the combination looks clean on visual inspection. The blades spun nicely from low to 3/4's throttle and I have no reason to believe they won't work well at full throttle. Since it doesn't look like I will be able to afford a new 90mm EDF before this summer I wanted to share this mini review and let pilots know about this new motor/fan combination for 90mm planes.

Last edited by Michael Heer; May 14, 2016 at 05:24 PM..
Old May 25, 2016, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by Volunteer
United States, TN, Chattanooga
Joined Mar 2006
553 Posts
Watts and amps?
Volunteer is offline Find More Posts by Volunteer
Old May 25, 2016, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by nofreee
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2012
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
Watts and amps?
Yup, it spins. Review over.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old May 25, 2016, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
1,864 Posts
Quote:
I have been pleased with my limited results and I look forward to further testing with an actual plane.

Then you maybe should have help off one "reviewing" this item.... ?
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old May 25, 2016, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,410 Posts
That is a pretty thirsty set up for 6S, price sounds fantastic if you believe 3.5kg thrust with that tiny motor. It should sell like a hot cake, I like to get one just to check it up in one of my foamy test bed prototypes.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old May 25, 2016, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,410 Posts
You are most welcomed to send me one to see how good it is, I got just about every possible model to check it up.
Old May 25, 2016, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
1,864 Posts
Couple of threads already started on this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2611465

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2640148
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old May 26, 2016, 01:11 AM
Find More Posts by Mark Powell
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Oct 2013
2,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreee View Post
Yup, it spins. Review over.
Quite.

No thrust measurement either.

It's not a 'review', it's an advert. As so often.
Mark Powell is offline Find More Posts by Mark Powell
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 26, 2016, 03:39 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,410 Posts
Q-It's not a 'review', it's an advert. As so often.
Didn't take much to work that out!
Old May 26, 2016, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by shelbonic
Joined Dec 2013
139 Posts
120a
shelbonic is offline Find More Posts by shelbonic
Old May 28, 2016, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by KCinNC
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville