HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2015, 08:02 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,960 Posts
Dave, I used super thin CA and wicked it in from the outside top & bottom as well though, I stuck the CA tube (those thin applicator thingies) in from the tail servo holes and wicked it from the inside as well.

There's only minimal amount of contact - definitely important to get the right spots.

As to the motor 'clunk' on power. My 470kv did something similar in flight ! I think, but am not 100% sure, it had to do with ESC timing. I think I was running a 16x8 so def not over propping or anything.

That said, check that the magnets are all good and snug/tight in the bell.

Cheers,
J
uberjay is offline Find More Posts by uberjay
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2015, 08:12 PM
United States, MA, Scituate
Joined Apr 2007
120 Posts
I used thin CA top and bottom with multiple passes of each. Obviously, I didn't have the technique down. Either that or that Power 60 has a lot more thrust than I thought!
gobigdave is online now Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old Mar 26, 2015, 08:16 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigdave View Post
I used thin CA top and bottom with multiple passes of each. Obviously, I didn't have the technique down. Either that or that Power 60 has a lot more thrust than I thought!
LOL ;-)

Have you tried removing the tail servos yet? You can get a CA applicator in there and soak the interface between the fuse and stab. Actually, you could probably also get some epoxy in there with a brush or something too.

Good luck.
J
uberjay is offline Find More Posts by uberjay
Old Mar 26, 2015, 08:40 PM
Joined Apr 2007
120 Posts
I have tried anything yet. Still trying to figure out a plan and thanking my lucky stars this didn't happen on my maiden. I've always done full ground tests on all my models, but this is the first one with a major failure.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 08:40 PM
I can't fly
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2006
2,428 Posts
The knocking could be a motor timing issue. Or if the motor is used it might need new bearings.
camoy is offline Find More Posts by camoy
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Joined Apr 2007
120 Posts
The motor is brand new. Hopefully, it is not bearings. I'm going to try manually setting the timing to 22. The Gecko only gives me an option of 2, 8, 15, 22 or 30.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM
I can't fly
Joined Dec 2006
2,428 Posts
Okay not the motor then, probably a timing issue. Which Gecko do you have?
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM
Joined Apr 2007
120 Posts
I have the Gecko 125A. I programed it to 22 over lunch, but I haven't had a chance to run it up again to see if that solved the issue. I'm also coming up with a plan to fix my stab.
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM
Germany, BW, Weinheim
Joined Sep 2012
548 Posts
After my crash with the Beast, I noticed, that the elevator stab came loose. There was a gap on the bottom of the elevator stab and I solved the problem with some epoxy.

The same I did now on the EF MXS 64".

I'm really warned now and will always recheck if there is any little gap between fuselage and stab.
FloBau is online now Find More Posts by FloBau
Last edited by FloBau; Yesterday at 01:35 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM
Joined Apr 2007
120 Posts
Yeah, looking closer it seems there is a bit of a gap in places around my stab. That could explain why the thin CA didn't hold well. I ordered a few epoxy syringes. I'm going to try and thin out some 15 minute epoxy and use a syringe and a brush to get the epoxy in there. Hopefully, I can get enough in there, but right now my confidence level in the thin CA is pretty low. I don't want there to be any chance that stab lets go again.
Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM
I can't fly
Joined Dec 2006
2,428 Posts
Try and use 30min as it will give you more time to work with it and it is thinner so getting it into the cracks is easier. Also I like that 30min after cure is less brittle.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2007
120 Posts
Well, I found what the problem was. While E-Flite did cut the covering away on the stab, it doesn't look like they cut enough away. With the stab aligned, I can see the black ultracote inside the fuse when I look through the servo holes. That means I was wicking thin CA into a gap that wasn't wood to wood. No wonder it didn't hold. My bad for not noticing when I glued it up.

now to decide whether CA will work given the fuse is probably pretty soaked in CA already.