HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2002, 11:41 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined May 2001
123 Posts
launch terminator with light hi-start?

I have an old hi-start that I picked up on sale at the LHS. The rubber is fairly weak, so it's nice and gentle (much less pull than my Holliday Designs Hi-Start). I've been launching a DAW 126 HLG with it and it's perfect!

This will be my first foam-core wing and I'm curious as to the strength of these wings (balsa sheeted). Will I fold them if I try to launch with an up-start or my decrepit hi-start?

E
esox is offline Find More Posts by esox
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2002, 09:15 PM
Sweet!
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,823 Posts
http://www.dchobby.com/histart/MSL/index.html
Quacker is online now Find More Posts by Quacker
Old Apr 28, 2002, 10:04 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined May 2001
123 Posts
Thanks for the link Quacker.

I guess I wasn't clear. I already have the hi-start. I'm just wondering if it's going to be safe to launch a Terminator with foam-core/balsa-sheeted wings with it. Or will I fold the wings too easily?

E
Old Apr 29, 2002, 07:10 AM
Austin Texas
Joined Apr 2002
6 Posts
Launch it!

Hello!

I flew my terminator almost exclusively off a high start after I seriously pulled a muscle in my side trying to javelin launch it. I had an old weak rubber high start I used to use to launch my first plane, the Highlander. Because the rubber was a bit soft and weak, I cut it down much shorter and used the formula I read somewhere online that the string should be 3.5 x the rubber tube length. No problem launching the terminator to about 150ft (45m) and she flew great.

Oh yes, you do need to be sure to fortify the wing joints. The first terminator wings I built came apart at the joint the first time I flew it but that was with a javelin launch. I put a 1.5 inch (3.8cm) wide strip of fiberglass over the wing joints top and bottom to give them strength. I never had a problem with them after that.

So launch it!
johngo is offline Find More Posts by johngo
Old Apr 29, 2002, 10:03 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined May 2001
123 Posts
Thanks Johngo!

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Now I have to start building...

E