HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:13 AM
Joined Aug 2014
1 Posts
Help!
Control ESC, steering with 5k pot

Hello,
I am looking to control a 60 amp brushless ESC and steering servo with separate 5k pots. Currently I have hacked apart my transmitter to utilize the throttle control and steering control. The signal is then feed thru the transmitter to the receiver and then to the steering and throttle, just like a normal R/C set up.

I would like to learn how to control the steering and throttle without the need for tx/rx and just utilize some sort of control module that will take the input from the 5k pot and turn it into what ever pwm signal the esc and steering servo requires. In essence, turn my radio controlled system into a remote controlled system.
Any help would be much appreciated!
bfromtheblock is offline Find More Posts by bfromtheblock
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:45 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,345 Posts
Probably the easiest thing is just build (or even buy) a couple of "servo tester" circuits. A quick Google will find many circuits available from those using old 555s to more modern designs using microcontrollers.

If it's absolutely vital that the pots be 5K and no other value you may need to adjust some other circuit values to suit.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 15, 2014, 04:59 PM
Scottish Borders
Joined Mar 2006
570 Posts
Greetings b,

This simplistic program in an 8pin Picaxe microcontroller is controlling a Hitec HS-300 servo through an arc of about 175 degrees via a 4k7 potentiometer on my bench at this time.
All after ' is comment and ignored by the Free Programming Editor.
If I can help?

Dave

Code:
servo 1,150 '...........Prepair servo Function for servopos

start: '...........................Known position in memory
    readadc 4,b1 '..........Read pot on GPIO4 into variable b1
    b1=b1*10/17+75 'Convert b1 to value in 10s of microseconds
    servopos 1,b1 'Output pulse on GPIO1 between 0.75 to 2.25ms
goto start '.....servopos inserts 20ms frame, do it all again
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/forumdi...e-PICAXE-Forum
orraman is offline Find More Posts by orraman
Last edited by orraman; Aug 16, 2014 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Dissleccik Dave
Old Aug 15, 2014, 05:21 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
433 Posts
here's an example of a cheap servo tester..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...vo_Tester.html
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2