Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 03, 2014, 09:50 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,402 Posts
Discussion
Weatherly Colt?

Some body who likes to mess with my mind sent me this 3 view...

I found one picture on the interweb (a poor one), and it's at the end of a discussion on Luscombes...

Surfing "Weatherly", I find only Crop dusters and sprayers.

Back to this thing, it's all metal with a Luscombe -like fuselage, and a Gull wing...

Does anybody know anything about this airplane?...Seems a good candidate for a winter build in 1/4 scale.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2014, 10:11 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,651 Posts
That is an interesting, and quite attractive, design. I wonder if the Weatherly Colt was an experimental, one-off, design...or a prototype design? I agree that the plane would be a nice build project and would most likely turn a few heads at the flying field. Good luck with the search for additional information, Earl.

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Aug 03, 2014, 10:57 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,396 Posts
I know i've seen photos of that aircraft, somewhere! Found same drawing here:http://www.firelightgroups.com/airplane3views/

ScrolL wa-a-a-y down to W's.

Had to chuckle when I saw your linked drawing. Obviously clipped with "pinking " shears.
It made me think of my Pop, who was fanatical about Not cutting anything but cotton fabric with his aircraft only dedicated shears. He caught me cutting paper ONCE and he was not happy! I can still hear him "explaining" how paper will dull the shears, etc. Don't know if it's true or not, but my shears never cut paper, either. To this day,whenever I see shears , a pinked edge, a roll of "pinked tape", I think of my dad. Gotta say, covering is my favorite part of building models or restoring aircraft. Even rib stitching!
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Aug 03, 2014, 11:01 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,402 Posts
I located one picture of the actual airplane, and a hybrid Luscombe that has a lot of the same features.

Notable is the Gull wing, and that overly large landing gear fairing.

The pics refuse to upload at the moment....
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2014, 02:40 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,267 Posts
Here's a little bit on the person who created the drawing of the Weatherly..

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...m9i03XtzRxSLEA

See page 10, righthand column.

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Aug 03, 2014, 03:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,402 Posts
Thanks for that...- I saved two images this morning, but I can't pull them up.

One is of an actual Weatherly Colt, (which may have been a one-off prototype) and the other of a Tri-cycle gear Luscombe that had the same engineering in the landing gear, but in a different location.

This is intriguing.......
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Aug 04, 2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old Aug 05, 2014, 07:20 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,402 Posts
I can see why the full scale plane didn't go anywhere...It's about as interesting to the Aviation world as a large grain of sand in yer eye...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2014, 08:19 PM
deanz406
Latrobe, Pa.
Joined Oct 2010
84 Posts
Hey Earl-- Just being a total nut for the early cabin monoplanes, I absolutely love the pic u posted of the Weatherly. It is a really neat looking plane, and the gull wing I find very attractive, and different. I bet this would be a real crowd pleaser at the field in 1/4 scale with a nice little gasser in it, or a sweet purring 4 stroke. Don't give up on ur search, and if u find more info, please post it. I think I'm going to do a little digging myself- you have me "INTRIGUED" !!! Dean
deanz406 is online now Find More Posts by deanz406
Old Aug 08, 2014, 01:22 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,485 Posts
Earl

The Weatherly Colt was designed by Don Luscombe after he was forced out of Luscombe Aircraft. He built it on his estate in NJ if I recall. Think it still exists but not sure.

I have some info on it in a couple of books I have on Luscombe. If you like, send me a PM with your address and I will copy and send you what I have.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is online now Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Aug 09, 2014, 05:41 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,402 Posts
I had the three view drawing enlarged 500% today, resulting in a drawing with a 52" wingspan.

I spent some time 'detailing' the copy, and cleaning up some lines..-Once I get the top and front views cleaned up, I'll send them to Hemikiller for the final rendition, in 1/4 scale. The 36'3" wing will scale out to 109+", slightly larger than a CUB...

This plane has the lines of a "Funk", a "Luscombe", and some modern airplanes, with it's squared off tail surfaces.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2014, 07:01 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,267 Posts
very nice Earl, but where did those wings come from? Stinson Reliant? Lysnader?

George
Old Aug 10, 2014, 05:07 AM
Joined Oct 2011
8,402 Posts
We don't know the mindset of Don Luscombe at that point in time, but it's surprising that he went with a wing of that outline, after all the constant chord planforms he'd used up until that time.

"Feelers" are out asking for information on the plane's where-abouts, condition, or demise.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,396 Posts
"We don't know the mindset of Don Luscombe at that point in time,..."

Quite an interesting question! I would like to know how much actual input he had in various products, bearing his name. His early aircraft, before Model 8, were quite elegant. Sedan (different designers), not so much.

According to brief (!) mention in "Of Monocoupes and Men", first Colt was assembled in Don Luscombe's Ambler, PA, back yard, with an assist by Fred Knack, in 1944. Weatherly apparently acquired design rights, but didn't produce it.
Photos of the singular example taken during assembly and later paint appear on Page 55.

Colt may be a good nomination for" Aviation's Edsel " award?
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Aug 10, 2014, 07:54 PM
Joined Oct 2011
8,402 Posts
Yes Packard- I agree. The empennage just does not appear to belong with the rest of the airplane, and the gull wing seems to be a step back in time.

The ailerons are huge, and the flaps seem to be oversize, as well. There isn't that 'flow' we saw from his previous designs, if they were his.

Monday, we'll do the final enlargements to the 1/4 scale size , and decide 'whether' we want to do a 'Weatherly'.

Further research indicates this aircraft had several "Aliases" - the Luscombe 'Gullwing', the Weatherly "Colt" , and the Wiggins Colt 460 ! Apparently no one wanted to be associated with it for long.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by epoxyearl; Aug 10, 2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 09:20 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,267 Posts
Hey Earl,

Is this going to be a thread like Tom's? Sign me up right now

I think it's a great subject.

George