HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:34 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redditch
Joined Jun 2013
63 Posts
Discussion
Am i the worst glider pilot ever?!

Hi guys,

In the past i've owned the 3ch Radian and currently have the Phoenix 2000 and a Radian pro.

NEVER caught a thermal ever.

I've read about newbies claiming they caught some lift with their Radians, but all i've ever been able to do with any of my gliders is climb and glide back down.

Where am i going wrong?, i look for any wing lift etc etc but still nothing. I live in the UK and try to get out whenever the weather is nice enough.

Is there best times to head out? any more tips other than trying to watch the glider for signs? Is the P2k too heavy a glider to thermal with its plastic body?

Cheers
Mark
i_am_mark_evans is offline Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:05 PM
Sailaire brethren
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Aug 2013
163 Posts
Might try some of these

How to Find Thermals RC Glider Tips Easy Method (2 min 48 sec)

http://www.orlandobuzzards.org/?page_id=1657

http://www.rc-airplane-advisor.com/h...-thermals.html

Of course
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371863
RV Winkle is online now Find More Posts by RV Winkle
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:12 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,258 Posts
whatever you do, go to a contest and enter.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:22 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Low-lying or flat areas in the UK and Ireland (where I am) can be sorely lacking in thermal activity - often because there is so much green I think. You need land covering of different colours and textures to get differential heating of sections of land to trigger thermals. The conditions in the above video you will very seldom find here. Anything in the warmer US states will be totally different to here.

The Phoenix 2000 can be a great thermaller, so don't worry about that.

Try and get some altitude: they higher you go the more chance of thermal activity in the UK.

After you get the hang of it will start finding there is more thermal activity around in flat areas than you previously thought - it takes practice..

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:27 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,258 Posts
if you fly alone and isolated, here is the best way to go...www.radiocarbonart.com ...Thermal Soaring Training DVDs
Old Jul 12, 2014, 01:49 PM
Joined Jun 2013
63 Posts
Yeah just fly at a large grassy field, i was wondering if we'd get the same kinda thermals as you see in other countries.

Glad to know on the phoenix, was wondering if its too heavy to be good at thermalling. Although i have the Radian pro which is lighter so sort of keep the p2k for windier days.

If i couldn't thermal the 3ch Radian i wondered if it was me doing something really wrong haha

Mark
Old Jul 12, 2014, 03:17 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans View Post
Yeah just fly at a large grassy field, i was wondering if we'd get the same kinda thermals as you see in other countries.

Glad to know on the phoenix, was wondering if its too heavy to be good at thermalling. Although i have the Radian pro which is lighter so sort of keep the p2k for windier days.

If i couldn't thermal the 3ch Radian i wondered if it was me doing something really wrong haha

Mark
To be honest, I had a Radian Pro for a bit, I didn't find it good for poor lift at all - you need the standard Radian for that. I haven't had a foamy since for a few years, but now have the Phoenix, and it really is a good all-rounder.

Weight isn't the be-all and end-all for thermalling either, as long as you keep the glider moving so that the wings can generate lift from air flowing over them. Try to avoid "hanging" on the elevator, and flying too slow. Let her loose !
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jul 12, 2014, 03:47 PM
Joined Jun 2013
63 Posts
Yeah i found the original Radian a much better glider.

I think that's my problem, trying to fly these things too slow, i'll get my RP moving around the sky a bit more

Mark
Old Jul 12, 2014, 04:03 PM
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2013
366 Posts
I would also check your CG on the radian. I don't fly one but I would bet that the recommended CG is making it too nose heavy. Most manufacturers seem to err on the safe side. You might be plowing right through thermals and never see any indicators.

Tom
Imageek2 is offline Find More Posts by Imageek2
Old Jul 12, 2014, 04:22 PM
Joined Jun 2013
63 Posts
On my Radian pro im running with the rearward cg of about 77mm (manual says 70mm)

Mark
Old Jul 13, 2014, 04:54 AM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,015 Posts
perhaps vid may help too...

olympic 22-6-2014 (6 min 47 sec)
ultimatetwo is offline Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:58 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,722 Posts
For what it's worth, at the local school yard, I've flown dozens of times because it's close. There must be some area nearby with great lift, because it seems there's always sink near the field.
Kinda hard to range out with a DLG over houses, though.
cityevader is online now Find More Posts by cityevader
Old Jul 13, 2014, 03:35 PM
S. FL
Joined Jan 2007
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans View Post
Hi guys,

In the past i've owned the 3ch Radian and currently have the Phoenix 2000 and a Radian pro.

NEVER caught a thermal ever.

I've read about newbies claiming they caught some lift with their Radians, but all i've ever been able to do with any of my gliders is climb and glide back down.

Where am i going wrong?, i look for any wing lift etc etc but still nothing. I live in the UK and try to get out whenever the weather is nice enough.

Is there best times to head out? any more tips other than trying to watch the glider for signs? Is the P2k too heavy a glider to thermal with its plastic body?

Cheers
Mark
Hi Mark, it takes time and no particulare sailplane is going to "teach" you how to thermal based on it's performance per say. One thing is for sure, you have to be able to recognise regardless of whatever plane you are flying is what that sailplane is doing in relation to the air it is encountering and that is the key. Don't go out early in the morning or very late in the afternoon looking for a thermal flight when the lift ie convection is low, go out say late morning or around noon when that starts to happen and don't expect a thermal right over the field you are flying from every time you launch, in many cases if not most it will be your ability to seach for those elusive thermals (based on altitude) a ways off to keep you airborn.
Libelle201B is offline Find More Posts by Libelle201B
Old Jul 13, 2014, 03:54 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,258 Posts
resist the urge to fly up wind
Old Jul 13, 2014, 04:38 PM
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2013
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B View Post
Don't expect a thermal right over the field you are flying from every time you launch, in many cases if not most it will be your ability to seach for those elusive thermals (based on altitude) a ways off to keep you airborn.
That is very true. I didn't start catching thermals consistently until I got over the fear of losing my plane beyond the boundaries of the field.
Imageek2 is offline Find More Posts by Imageek2