Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:24 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Discussion
Wing Sweep In SolidWorks?

Hi Guys.

Finally getting better with SW and can loft a wing pretty easily now. I need help trying to figure out how to add sweep to the wing. Whenever I import an airfoil it always aligns it with the center of the drawing and I cant' figure out how to move it back to the proper sweep angle. It won't let me move the airfoil.

Also, how do I make a section longer? When I try to extrude my fuselage it will only let me extrude in one direction and only 500mm. I've attached a picture to help clarify what's going on.

Thanks for everyone's help,

Jimmy
jtprouty is offline Find More Posts by jtprouty
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:49 PM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
Is their not a dialoge box asking which direction or both directions and how far you wish to extrude ? P.s which version of Solid Works are you running ?
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:11 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Yes, there is a dialogue box but if I put in anything more than 500mm (trying to get 575) it tells me it's too long and I need to shorten it.

I'm using SW2008 and 2012 (have SW on two different laptops.)

Thanks!

Jimmy
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:43 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtprouty View Post
Hi Guys.

Finally getting better with SW and can loft a wing pretty easily now. I need help trying to figure out how to add sweep to the wing. Whenever I import an airfoil it always aligns it with the center of the drawing and I cant' figure out how to move it back to the proper sweep angle. It won't let me move the airfoil.

Also, how do I make a section longer? When I try to extrude my fuselage it will only let me extrude in one direction and only 500mm. I've attached a picture to help clarify what's going on.

Jimmy
Youve got a similar question in another post. But I think there may be a couple issues here:

>how do I make a section longer?
I suspect you imported airfoil coordinates from somewhere? Are they of the format (x,y) leading edge = 0,0 and trailingedge is 1,0? If so, thats one problem, you have an airfoil 1 inch long (or maybe 1mm long depending on what SW model template you selected). Sometimes the coordinates are LE = 0,0, TE = 100,0. Same issue. Naca type coordinates are kind of a dimensionless system so you can adapt it to your particular size. So you either need to scale this section to your real worl model using a command. Or, you can scale the coordinates externally to anything you like using an airfoil program or excel.

This would also explain why it appears 'stuck' initially on import because the curve is obeying the coordinates. You should be able to use the move command though.

In terms of the sweep - I thing you are talking about the LE & TE taper or curve out toward the tip like viewed in plan view? Im not an expert but what little fiddling around on wing type sections, I found it beneficial to use guide curves to control the shape of the 3D solid wing LE & TE. This can offer dual purpose in adding washout. This has been discussed somewhere on the forum.

Also, check if you have the dreaded 100,0 type trailing edge 'point' that is common in airfoil coordinate libraries. That causes all sorts of bugger up issues for almost every 3D program. Try to give it a defined TE thickness or radius. It usually solves a lot of grief.
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:42 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I finally figured out that if I import the airfoil and then convert the object to another plane I can manipulate it the way I want. Also figured out that my problem with extruding was that my drawing template had reverted to meters for units instead of millimeters. Unfortunately, that means that I had to redraw my airframe but it was good practice. Here's a screen capture of the work I did this week (just started learning SW on Monday.)

Jimmy
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:06 PM
Inherent Tinkerer
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Joined Jul 2003
1,428 Posts
Well, getting more and more things figured out and it's becoming addictive! I needed the hole patterns for the Scorpion 30mm motor mount so I drew the mount. Getting better at figuring out how to do things. Practice, practice, practice!

Jimmy
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:16 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2011
492 Posts
Grate work on you first model in SW jtprouty. Im new to SW your right it is very addictive I cant wait till im out in the shop building a plane iv designed. Good Luck with your project mate.
Artful Owl is offline Find More Posts by Artful Owl
RCG Plus Member