HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
Built a small version of the Super Easy. Elevon Only. It has a garbage motor I should not have purchased but I managed to get a 5 inch prop on it. 2s will not lift out of my hand. 3s will. Will try both tonight if the winds drop down to about 10 or so.

Here is a pic next to my 20" snowball. Its a small plane.

Nightstone
Looks good ! Do you think you can talk your wife into shooting another video ? Let me know how it flies with elevons .
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:44 PM
Suspended Account
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Apr 2012
2,784 Posts
Is it a puller or pusher?
RCAddict16 is offline Find More Posts by RCAddict16
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16 View Post
Is it a puller or pusher?
The SUPER EASY is a prop-in-slot pusher .
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:17 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
500 Posts
What is a good spar diameter?

Al

I was looking at the detail of the reinforcment spar of CF tube pictured in Post 37. It looks to me like 3/16 inch or 4mm tube. Am i right? I have some that size that weighs about 9 grams for the 24 inch spar. I have an 0.125 inch or 3mm tube that looks a fair amount flimsier and weighs 5 grams for that length.

My Super Easy in the original size is coming along. The weight of the glued up airframe is 345 grams or about 12 ounces. The hot glue was about 22 grams of that, and the hinges from the Scotch Extreme (biaxial fiberglass) tape made up 9 grams. I need to tape the edges yet. I may put skewers under the tape near the nose. Pictures show the aiframe. I have no connection to the U of Michigan. The board I had was colored that way.
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe View Post
Al

I was looking at the detail of the reinforcment spar of CF tube pictured in Post 37. It looks to me like 3/16 inch or 4mm tube. Am i right? I have some that size that weighs about 9 grams for the 24 inch spar. I have an 0.125 inch or 3mm tube that looks a fair amount flimsier and weighs 5 grams for that length.

My Super Easy in the original size is coming along. The weight of the glued up airframe is 345 grams or about 12 ounces. The hot glue was about 22 grams of that, and the hinges from the Scotch Extreme (biaxial fiberglass) tape made up 9 grams. I need to tape the edges yet. I may put skewers under the tape near the nose. Pictures show the aiframe. I have no connection to the U of Michigan. The board I had was colored that way.
I use whatever I have laying around that I think will work . I measured the rod on the one I just made and it looks like 3mm rod . For the joint I use steel tube from the hardware store , cut a 3" piece and bend it with a couple of pliers until it matches the dihedral angle .
Airframe looks good so far !
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:07 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
Failure on the first go... 3 Tries. 3 crashes. On the 2s I had no lift at full throttle. With the 3s it flew but barely. Second problem was the control surfaces. Two small I believe. Had no control on on the 1.5x4 inch flaps.

Starting version 2 in a few minutes for a morning flight. I'm going big on the flaps and staying with an Elevon configuration. I have a bigger motor and going bigger prop. If i can fly a FireFly this plane should be able to fly similarly.

Nightstone
Nightstone is offline Find More Posts by Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Downtown Phoenix Skyline
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Failure on the first go... 3 Tries. 3 crashes. On the 2s I had no lift at full throttle. With the 3s it flew but barely. Second problem was the control surfaces. Two small I believe. Had no control on on the 1.5x4 inch flaps.

Starting version 2 in a few minutes for a morning flight. I'm going big on the flaps and staying with an Elevon configuration. I have a bigger motor and going bigger prop. If i can fly a FireFly this plane should be able to fly similarly.

Nightstone
That's half the fun of building planes - problem solving !
I think you're on the right track going with a bigger motor . Going with higher watts ( 200 -300 or so ) will give you more power , and higher KV ( 3000 - 4000 or so ) will give you a LOT more revs so you can stay with a smaller prop ( 4.1 x 4.1 ) to fit in your prop slot . Be warned that a high KV motor swinging a little prop is LOUD ! I about scared my wife ( and myself ! ) to death the first time I revved one up in our dining room ! This one from H.K. would make it a ROCKET!http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=23895
And you might as well make the elevons full-span - you can always put in low rates !
Last edited by balsa or carbon; Aug 02, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:24 AM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
287 Posts
I just built it tonight. I going to run elevons so I increased them to 2.5x8. I had a 450 class 1800kv motor running a 7x5 prop on 3s that was feeling left out so I threw it on - it should fly pretty fast. Who knows, if it fast enough I'll build another a have combat with my son. Crash it and you are only out a $1.25 in foam and a couple hours of time. Pretty cheap entertainment!
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike
Old Aug 03, 2012, 01:26 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
New one built. Took the 60w motor off. Put a 100w on. plane is 149g with battery. Thats pretty light. Prop went from 5 to 6 inch. Flaps are now 2x7.

These motors I picked up from Leaders Hobby for cheap are absolute crap. My 78 watt c20 will take a 200g vertical. That 60w would not even fly the original horizontally. Pretty sad. I'm hoping that 100w is at least 70w and will fly the little plane.

Tomorrow am is launch time.

Al... I have built and crashed alot of planes since I started this hobby over 3 months ago. I have learned so much and my flying skills are getting good really fast. Much much faster than if I was just flying a trainer around.

I love this hobby... So many ideas and so little time.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
New one built. Took the 60w motor off. Put a 100w on. plane is 149g with battery. Thats pretty light. Prop went from 5 to 6 inch. Flaps are now 2x7.

These motors I picked up from Leaders Hobby for cheap are absolute crap. My 78 watt c20 will take a 200g vertical. That 60w would not even fly the original horizontally. Pretty sad. I'm hoping that 100w is at least 70w and will fly the little plane.

Tomorrow am is launch time.

Al... I have built and crashed alot of planes since I started this hobby over 3 months ago. I have learned so much and my flying skills are getting good really fast. Much much faster than if I was just flying a trainer around.

I love this hobby... So many ideas and so little time.

Nightstone
Those improvements should do it - can't wait to hear about ( or see ) how she flies !
I plunged into this hobby a couple of years ago after retiring and needing something to occupy my time and keep my braincells active . I love the creative/inventive part of this hobby - coming up with an idea , then building it , taking it out for a test flight - I'm definitely obsessed ! Lots of crashes of course - " if you ain't crashin' you ain't flyin' ! "
Here is a good use for the crap motor - use it for lift in a hovercraft ! SUPER easy build and lots of fun ! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1619583
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:08 AM
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDartMike View Post
I just built it tonight. I going to run elevons so I increased them to 2.5x8. I had a 450 class 1800kv motor running a 7x5 prop on 3s that was feeling left out so I threw it on - it should fly pretty fast. Who knows, if it fast enough I'll build another a have combat with my son. Crash it and you are only out a $1.25 in foam and a couple hours of time. Pretty cheap entertainment!
Excellent! Let me know how it flies - and if you can , shoot a video !
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Video of " Phoenix Lights " SUPER EASY flying

UFO 1.AVI (1 min 3 sec)
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:47 AM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
Well... the 1/2 size Super Easy with elevons Flies... Barely. Its still under powered. In the video I am at full throttle at launch. These EMP motors are garbage. 100W my $#&^. The landing in the video was not planned ( Started loosing power )Winds were 7-8 mph and penetration was great. Elevons at that size were fine. Next model will have bigger elevons and a bigger higher KV motor.

This plane should make a nice small elevon trainer really cheap. You can get
2 out of one sheet of foam. And it handles the wind nicely.

Got 3 different high KV motors on order. 24, 26 and 37 gram. All pushing 400g plus thrust.

SuperEasySmallElevon (2 min 8 sec)

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,522 Posts
Quote:
Well... the 1/2 size Super Easy with elevons Flies... Barely. Its still under powered. In the video I am at full throttle at launch. These EMP motors are garbage. 100W my $#&^. The landing in the video was not planned ( Started loosing power )Winds were 7-8 mph and penetration was great. Elevons at that size were fine. Next model will have bigger elevons and a bigger higher KV motor.

This plane should make a nice small elevon trainer really cheap. You can get
2 out of one sheet of foam. And it handles the wind nicely.

Got 3 different high KV motors on order. 24, 26 and 37 gram. All pushing 400g plus thrust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PtTJ...ature=youtu.be

Nightstone
Looks like the airframe is working out fine - have you thought about putting a 40% - 50% KFm2 airfoil on top ? When you get the new motors you might have to order a radar gun ! Thank your wife for shooting a video again !
Old Aug 04, 2012, 01:56 PM
20 years on the Internet
Joined May 2012
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon View Post
Looks like the airframe is working out fine - have you thought about putting a 40% - 50% KFm2 airfoil on top ? When you get the new motors you might have to order a radar gun ! Thank your wife for shooting a video again !
I'm going to try KFM and a few other ideas I have. I think this is going to be a nice transition plane for the faster jets. Bigger motor and slightly bigger elevons should result in a pretty fast agile twitchy plane.

Btw... the Ufo vid is cool and the hover craft is on my build list for the kids.

Nightstone
RCG Plus Member