HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Jun 2012
3 Posts
Discussion
Pica Duelist Design Rights

The last owner I know of to the design rights of Pica's Duelist was Cox Models, which issued it in ARF form as the Dualist. I contacted Cox's owner, Hobbico, and inquired about the Duelist/Dualist. Their product support representative informed me that, in purchasing Cox Models, Hobbico didn't take ownership of any of Pica's models. He went on to state that he doesn't know to whom Cox Models sold the design rights of Pica's kits prior to being bought out by Hobbico.

Does anyone here know who currently owns the design rights of the Duelist Mk I? I know Air Age Media has the Mk II, but I can't find anything regarding the Mk I's ownership beyond Cox's Dualist.

JOE
JOE Vandeleur is offline Find More Posts by JOE Vandeleur
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:46 PM
That's so classic you.
United States, NC, Stokesdale
Joined Jul 2006
347 Posts
Dave Platt?
Generic Member is online now Find More Posts by Generic Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Jun 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic Member View Post
Dave Platt?
Mr. Platt was kind enough to reply to my inquiry, and states that he has no idea as to the fate of the Pica line.

The prominence of electric power and ARFs leaves little room for a nitro twin, especially in kit form. From a production standpoint, the Mk I may very well be lost to history.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:30 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE Vandeleur View Post
From a production standpoint, the Mk I may very well be lost to history.
I ordered and received a set of plans for the Duelist from AMA Plans. I was VERY disapointed to find that the set is in fact an obvious enlargement from a smaller copy of the plans (magazine article maybe?). Drwaing lines are distorted and there is no way to read the text.

Surely, a draftsman can reproduce the plans, or if you can get your hands on a kit ($$$) you can make a start there. If you are looking to reproduce the plans or offer a kit, you'll have to research the copyright of both. Like patents, maybe there are certain types of copyrights have expiration dates.

Patents have to be granted and registered. I'm not sure of the copyright process, but there must be a governing agency and they would have a database that should include Pica's copyrights and the conditions of the copyrights.

A start?

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:42 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
912 Posts
My brother has a Duelist that is finished ready to fly but never flown. I can ask him if he still has the plans

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Jun 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
I ordered and received a set of plans for the Duelist from AMA Plans.
I take it what you have must be the Mk II, the plans for which are also available from Air Age Media's website (Model Airplane News). Hopefully their copy is of better quality, as I've just placed an order.

I understand that there are issues with an ideal copy of the Mk II plans. The wing ribs don't match up to the plan-view, chord-wise. I've also read that the semi-spans, as drawn, don't match each other in the plan-views!
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Apr 2010
27 Posts
I know nothing other than what i read on the internet. The question is does an "enforceable" copyright exist for the Duelist MKII plan? ie can you sell a copy of the plans without being successfully sued. The creator of the plan would have had to register it with the Federal Copyright Office. I doubt any RC plans were. However, there may be a copyright issue with the magazine publisher. Patents don't apply to plans or kits. Design Rights and Intellectual Property Rights don't apply either because 1. These models predate the laws by 25yrs. 2. Even if applied they would have expired. 3. The plans and/or kit would have had or have to be registered with United States Patent and Trademark Office. As for the who owns original molds type arguments, they have no legal basis. I believe anyone can sell a kit with a copy of the original plans included. Since there is no legal infringement there is no counterfeit liability. The box should be marked to show the new maker out of good faith to buyers in my humble opinion.
790 is offline Find More Posts by 790
Last edited by 790; Jul 07, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:58 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE Vandeleur View Post
I take it what you have must be the Mk II, the plans for which are also available from Air Age Media's website (Model Airplane News). Hopefully their copy is of better quality, as I've just placed an order.

I understand that there are issues with an ideal copy of the Mk II plans. The wing ribs don't match up to the plan-view, chord-wise. I've also read that the semi-spans, as drawn, don't match each other in the plan-views!
Yes, I have the Mk II plans. I've attached a few pics of them. Totally unusable, other than to start with an outline of the model and go from there. What I think is that the plans are an enlargement of what they printed in the magazine article (date unknown to me). The lines are VERY "zaggy" and the most of the type is unreadable. I wish AMA had contacted me when they printed the plans and informed me that they were unusable. They are the modeler's advocate, right? Then again, they did send me TWO COPIES of the plan - guess that squares things, eh?

EJWash
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:10 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,511 Posts
Quote:
what they printed in the magazine article (date unknown to me).
May 1978

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:16 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,873 Posts
Yup, those pants are DEFINITELY 1978

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:23 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,311 Posts
And that paint job! Looks like the art that guy that did Yes albums would do...
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:44 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntflyr View Post
And that paint job! Looks like the art that guy that did Yes albums would do...
A blast from the past! Or should I say: "OUCH!"?

EJWash
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:36 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,080 Posts
Oh so cutting. Funnily enough i happened to have that magazine on my breakfast bench saturday afternoon chatting about models with a friend.

Lets just say he's not frothing over duelists.
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:22 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,259 Posts
I'm admiring the field he's flying on. Its probably a housing development now.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:51 PM
Jeff LeBouthillier
Ottawa, Ontario
Joined Sep 2006
13 Posts
A friend of mine has a Dualist kit NIB that he's looking to sell. I've not spoken to him in 4-5 months but I'm pretty sure he still has it as he was not actively advertising it.
PM if you want me to inquire about it. Shipping would be from Ontario, Canada.

Jeff
jeffery.lebouthillier@forces.gc.ca or 613-392-2811 ext 4666
Bootalini1 is offline Find More Posts by Bootalini1