HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
Traxxas slasher 4x4 or Associated sc10 4x4

Hello everyone, I just registered today and haven't been around rc cars for a while so take it easy on me if I sound ignorant because, well, I am when it comes to todays rc cars. My last car was a Tamiya Super Blackfoot, to give you an idea on how long its been, and I loved that truck but gave it away about 8 years ago. I am looking for a truck to chase my dogs with, to take to the desert when I go out riding, and possibly compete with, although not very likely. I have narrowed it down to the sc10 and the slash. Local hobby shop said as far as abuse they're both going to handle them equally but he would lean towards the traxxas because of the availability of parts. I am more interested in speed and it seems to me you're going to lose acceleration in the traxxas because of the shaft drive having to turn 2 differentials, as where the sc10 does not have to transfer a right to left rotation to a forward reverse rotation through ring and pinions. Again, I am new to this in the sense that technology has come so far on these, but keep in mind, I am a professional heavy equipment mechanic, so dont be afraid to be technical when trying to explain something. And please keep brand loyalty to a minimum and talk facts. Thanks
nonosrcng is offline Find More Posts by nonosrcng
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:58 AM
United States, FL, Summerfield
Joined Mar 2012
15 Posts
Basher = Slash
Racer = SC10
FlgRC is offline Find More Posts by FlgRC
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:57 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,815 Posts
For 4wd SCT's, don't forget some of the other brands too! I've heard good things about the Losi Ten-SCT and Durango 410R SCT as well.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:47 PM
why am i here???????
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Mar 2009
714 Posts
only problem with the durango sct truck is the dam rims are a odd ball size hex. 17mm, thats the only sct truck that uses a 17mm sct rim. i might get one since they are hardcore racer plus they can bash like crazy. But if you are planing on doing mostile bashing go with the slash 4x4. really nice basher and if you want to race all you need to do is add a transponder and change the shock mounting points on the arm out a bit farther.
traxxas13 is online now Find More Posts by traxxas13
Old Mar 09, 2012, 09:23 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
The slash 4x4 is a fun and quick truck, a good durable basher, but takes a lot to get set up for racing. At most tracks the Losi SCTE has knocked the SC10 off the top spot as a racer, I race a Slash Ultimate(and Revo 3.3), and have tried out the SC10 and Ten SCTE, the Losi is by far the smoothest and easist to drive fast of the 3, it's a really nice truck, and even the RTR version setup is pretty good. If I were to buy another SC truck it would be the Losi, in fact depending on how my Slash does this year, I might sell it, or relegate it as a backup and loaner truck, then buy a SCTE to race with. Brushless motors and Lipo packs have made some of the old belt vs shaft aruments no longer relevant, a decent system is so overpowered that it doesn't really matter, not having to adjust the belt, simpler and more compact shaft drive setups, and stronger ring/pinion gears have solved shaft drive problems, and there really isn't much if any noticeable performance difference on properly adjusted setups.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old May 11, 2012, 03:49 PM
United States, PA, Southampton
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
I am looking to get a car and i was looking at the sc10 4x4 not to race just for fun and i would like a 2x4 and 4x4 in one so if anybody knows could i take the belt off the sc10 4x4 and make it 2x4?or if you guys know of a car that is both 2x4 and 4x4 let me know, thanks
gasparin160 is offline Find More Posts by gasparin160
Old May 11, 2012, 07:15 PM
ride hard and fly low
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
I love my Slash 4x4.
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Old May 12, 2012, 08:09 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasparin160 View Post
I am looking to get a car and i was looking at the sc10 4x4 not to race just for fun and i would like a 2x4 and 4x4 in one so if anybody knows could i take the belt off the sc10 4x4 and make it 2x4?or if you guys know of a car that is both 2x4 and 4x4 let me know, thanks
The SC10 has a funky belt system with a ratcheting front sprocket and slipper to somewhat adjust front slip, but you could tighten exerything up and take out the belt for 2wd. The Losi SCTE has 3 diffs, so unless you put silly putty in the center diff and disconnect the front, it will be 4wd only. The Slash 4x4 has a slipper, and the driveshaft comes out easily, the easiest of the 3 to configure for 2wd. The problem is that all 3 don't have enough weight over the rear axle, and without taking out a lot of parts you still have driveline drag to the front. You end up with worse traction than a dedicated 2WD version, accelerating and braking are poor. I tried it for my slash 4x4 and it was near undriveable over 1/2 throttle, nowhere near as stable as a 2WD Slash, being it is balanced for 4WD operation. If you want to race and only have a 4x4, just stick to 4x4 classes, if you want to branch out to 2wd, then get another truck. Most people running 2wd at my local tracks are either fresh newbies running brushed 2wd slash's in the stock slash 2wd class(set up for beginners), a few still run 2WD stadium trucks in that dwindling class. The 4x4 SC class has a lot more participation, and most that run in the stock 2wd class upgrade after some time, and jump into the big SC 4wd class.
Last edited by alucard0822; May 12, 2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, PA, Southampton
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Thanks alucard0822 for the help it sounds like the sc10 is not the way to go with the weird belt so ill look into the slash or the Losi SCTE.
gasparin160 is offline Find More Posts by gasparin160
Old May 12, 2012, 12:16 PM
Mt helena western australia
Joined May 2009
2,013 Posts
for racing my friend destroys the sc10 (i am an asociated fan XD) 4x4 with his jammin scrt10 with tekin pro 4 4600kv motor and MMP ESC, won my 17 seconds on friday against the Losi's, asociateds and everything else XD
rangamatchstic is offline Find More Posts by rangamatchstic
Old May 13, 2012, 07:42 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,815 Posts
When it comes to racing, setup and driver skill matter WAY more than the truck until you get equally skilled drivers with equally well setup trucks. There's a local guy here that is super competitive in 2wd short course running an ECX Torment just slightly upgraded (brushless motor/esc, adjustable turnbuckles and better tires).

Not saying the Jammin isn't a good truck, but if you were to give all the trucks to the same driver with them setup very well, it wouldn't be 17 seconds faster at all.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:09 PM
rc nut in az
goodyear Arizona
Joined Mar 2009
382 Posts
I ran my slash on the track where i race my sc10 and the slash was like trying to drive a tank!So nose heavy its not really competitive with other lighter more tunable trucks.The slash is fast but in my opinion not a racer and made to look so much like the real thing that it has some big disadvantages.If you you want a fast, scale looking truck to play with get the slash! If you are serious about hitting the track its going to be like racing a toy against very good trucks!All this is just my opinion of course,good luck!
Tamiya tony is offline Find More Posts by Tamiya tony
Old May 16, 2012, 01:20 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
When it comes to racing, setup and driver skill matter WAY more than the truck until you get equally skilled drivers with equally well setup trucks. There's a local guy here that is super competitive in 2wd short course running an ECX Torment just slightly upgraded (brushless motor/esc, adjustable turnbuckles and better tires).

Not saying the Jammin isn't a good truck, but if you were to give all the trucks to the same driver with them setup very well, it wouldn't be 17 seconds faster at all.
Racing is a different world. I've seen some drivers show up, having never raced before, and run slow, but never flip or wreck and end up doing very well. Intermediate racers seem to try to cut lap times, wrecking and flipping as the newbies pass them. The seasoned racers who always do well drive quick clean land consistent aps, avoid trouble, and can follow the ideal race line like it is painted on the track.

All of this is before the truck or setup even comes into play. The thing is if you hand the top trucks to a new racer, you can see how EASY it is to drive, the tires have lots of grip, it slides and turns nice and stable, and is responsive enough so you feel in constant control, but it is never twitchy, this is all in dialing the setup, the truck is smoth and stable over the the bumps and jumps at that track. The last thing that really matters is what brand the truck is, as long as it has sufficient power, and enough adjustments to dial in, which the Slash, SC10 and SCTE all have. With club and local racing, there is a wide range of skill levels, and minor differences don't matter, at more competitive events, you will never qualify unless you can get most everything out of a particular vehicle, and make few if any mistakes, at this point having the "hot" race chassis simply means you are not giving up an advantage to the leaders, driving another chassis may add some benefits, but usually with a lot of expense.

The slash was really the first competitive SC truck, decent power, decent tunability, and it is what most people started with when the class was new. The class grew quick, and 4x4 trucks popped up, the SC10 has a lower CG, 550 motor as opposed to the Slash's 540, and in kit form, it was cheaper to build an all out racer, and it knocked the Slash down quick. The Losi SCTE is a little heavier, but currently has the best base setup of the 3 trucks, 550 motor, lowest CG, better weight distribution, best suspension, and is far better than the others on faster tracks. There are a bunch of other trucks out now, most being less expensive, and while they can be competitive at a club race in capable hands, that is about as much as they can do, some better Kyosho or race purpouse trucks can run with the losi's, but aren't as common at least around here. The Slash takes a boatload of mods to be competitive, and the tight steering and light weight can give it an edge on tight tracks, especially with a LCG kit being the high CG of the design is it's biggest issue, but thats about it. The class is experiencing an arms race of sorts being as popular as it is, and every year a better truck comes out that gets SC closer to the truggys and buggies lap times, it's an excitin time to get into it, the most important thing is simply that you get a truck you can afford, practice your driving and setup, and go racing.
Old May 16, 2012, 02:43 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,815 Posts
My only point was directed to the guy saying his friend won by 17 seconds with a Jammin SCRT10... you're right about it being more about setup and consistency/skill than which truck it is at the end of the day, but I bet even a novice would be faster driving a higher end truck over a slash (durango, sc10, SCTE, etc, etc, etc) and would notice a difference in handling, whereas their times between the higher end trucks would be much closer, and they wouldn't notice the difference in handling as much.