HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Wow, thanks for the detailed log and the clear photos. My son and I are planning to each get one of these when they are back in stock. I wonder about adding some length to the wing to make it more glider-like? It would be easy to have two wings or even to make one from foam. The magnetic attachment seems like the slick way to do this vs those always awkward rubber bands.
bboyes is offline Find More Posts by bboyes
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:35 PM
near Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
276 Posts
Bboyes - you're welcome & I hope you find the information useful when you build yours. Please feel free to ask questions if you have any & I'll try to help.

Chuck
clp.eng is offline Find More Posts by clp.eng
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:22 AM
Joined Feb 2012
11 Posts
I second what bboyes said. Nice job on the writeup.

I am looking to purchase a Micro Telemaster in the near future for doing some aerodynamic modeling, however I need to look further into its maneuverability at low speeds to make sure it can fly where I am looking to test it (indoors).
dinosaurs is offline Find More Posts by dinosaurs
Old Feb 22, 2012, 01:02 PM
near Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
276 Posts
dinosaurs - thanks. It's extremely light, has a large wing surface area & the power plant is tiny! I'm guessing w/ enough space it will be a good indoor model.

Next up is the control system.

Chuck
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Oct 2008
239 Posts
Very nice build. I've been looking at the Micro Telemasters, either in kit or plan form. I was wondering if it would be suitable for a 4-channel conversion, but looking at your build, I think it would be just fine as a 3-ch.
djhurlbut is offline Find More Posts by djhurlbut
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:06 PM
near Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
276 Posts
djhurlbut - Thanks. You probably could but it might be a challenge. The mini lends itself to that very easliy. In fact, when I talked to the designer at H-L I he said they were thinking of adding ailerons to the mini telemaster in the kit or as an option.

Chuck
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:11 PM
near Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
276 Posts
The brass tubing fiasco

I ruined the brass rod trying to cut it in half. It's used on the wheels. I have lotsa' woodworking tools but a little thin on the metal working stuff. I called H-L I to ask if I could get a replacement piece & I was told they don't carry it! No spare part! They offered to sell me the 12" tube they carry, I figured why not until I realized that the shipping would be 5 bucks. They offered me a discount on the shipping which I took. It should be here in a couple of days.

I started to think again about this being for beginners & it would have been a lot more beginner friendly if they would have provided the brass tube cut to size!

Well, I'll have foot of it to ruin before I go to the LHS & buy some wheels! LOL

Chuck
Last edited by clp.eng; Feb 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:30 PM
near Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
276 Posts
Pushrods & connectors

I've started putting together the control system & I've attached some pics on the pushrod connections that were provided in the kit. The servo end looks like it will be fine but I'm wondering about the control horn side.

The servo arm has 5 holes & the control arm has three. I have no idea which holes to use! The servo connector has a 0.061" dia shaft while the servo arm holes are about 0.035". Since I have to drill I want to figure out which one to use. If I'm off by one hole I don't think the next hole will have enough material to drill again. 2 probably...

Once I get the electrics working I'll try to temporarily hook the pushrod to the servo & keep moving it around until I get the throw dimensions shown on the full size plan.

Chuck
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Oct 2008
239 Posts
I'll have to check out the mini. There is something nice about basic 3 ch though.

You have to pick the holes based on the desired control throws from the manual. On the servo arms, the outer holes will give you more control throw, and the inner holes less. At the control surface, the outer holes give you less throw, and the inner ones more. You have to experiment to determine which pair of holes will give you throws to match what is in the manual. There's no differential elevator travel, is there?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:43 PM
near Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
276 Posts
Thanks, I figured as much but like I said I don't want to start drilling holes until I figure it out! If you mean is the elevator split, no it's one piece. If not, please explain your question!

And I was right about the control horn connector having a problem. I just went to the Dubro web site & their connector says it's a "snap fit" on the pushrod. The one in the kit is way too big. I wonder if they didn't change from the 047" pushrod to the 032" & forgot to change connectors! I just emailed them to send me the correct connector, Here's their chance to shine in customer service.

Chuck
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Oct 2008
239 Posts
What I meant by differential is that the manual indicates there should be more travel in one direction than the other. For example, my current build says elevator should travel 3/8" up but only 1/4" down (50% more up than down). You can build that in with the right servo arm position or control horns. I guessed you would probably not have this, as it's more common in ailerons than elevators, and I can't imagine a rudder situation for it.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:11 PM
near Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
276 Posts
I just checked & it's the same in each direction.

I just fired up the electrics - did a bind, setup the ESC, plugged in the motor & servos. Everyting worked nicely.

The prop dosen't fit on the prop saver - another challenge!

A reminder for any real new timers - put the rudder servo in the aileron Rx channel. That will make it easier to transistion to 4 chan plank later!

Chuck
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:46 PM
Hagerstown, MD - USA
Joined Jan 2009
27 Posts
Just a note from my prior experience. My Dad gave me his original trainer, a .40 glow Eagle 2. It had pushrod connectors with those black plastic cone-shaped pieces to hold them in. I had to remove one to do an elevator repair, and when I put it back on it seemed fine. Next day at the field, with a buddy box in use, the plane nosed down from about 100 ft. and kept going until slightly below ground level. Aircraft destroyed completely... When I checked the parts, it appeared that the elevator pushrod had come out of the hole in the servo arm, and once the airplane started descending the weight of the pushrod pulled the elevator to full down, which assured that we couldn't recover. Don't try removing and re-using those pieces unless you really know how to do it - or maybe it's not possible to use them a second time!
Build looks great, should fly really well once balanced and trimmed.

Jim
Jim Marsden is online now Find More Posts by Jim Marsden
Last edited by Jim Marsden; Feb 22, 2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added some important information
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:45 PM
near Chicago
Joined Apr 2008
276 Posts
Jim - thanks! I was wondering about that. In the pic, I did NOT push it all the way on. I will make darn sure I get it right in the right hole on the servo arm the 1st time.

"slightly below gnd level" LOL I'll have to remember to avoid that position if I can...

Chuck
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Sep 2003
285 Posts
One question, is all the sheeting on the fuse and the wing ribs 1/16"?
DUMBERTHUMBS is offline Find More Posts by DUMBERTHUMBS