HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:50 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Dec 2012
1,243 Posts
Thanks for the advice!

I think my other issue was having the NAZA hanging off the back edge of the quad. I'm designing a new frame with it smack dab in the middle
v00d0o is online now Find More Posts by v00d0o
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:17 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,568 Posts
These Naza drifts are quite a mystery, I had my 1st build of the quad constantly drifting to the right after take-off, in GPS mode. In ATTI it was less noticable, maybe half the drift. I had to trim left 10 clicks. And for both modes it would stop after like 1 minute, then I'd trim back right to zero. So I speculated it was either a funky feature in the software, or accels or gyros heating up or something. The Naza was mounted with the stock tape, dead center, perfectly aligned (and when I say perfectly, it is, I'm a psychopath , I went with 2 long aluminium rulers, the off-angle was less than 2 millimeters over 500)

Then it went for a swim in the river, I rebuilt the whole frame, mounted the Naza with the same accuracy, same place, with this tape, and... no more drift, ever. I can even put different sizes of props between front and rear and its stuck at the same place if there's no wind, ATTI or GPS.
Now, I cannot say its the new tape, it'd make no sense...

Black magic, I tell you.
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Feb 23, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:55 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
GPS & INS, fly the aircraft and do a couple figure 8, do a couple pirouette left/right; drift no more.

Still windy; but I did take it out on the driveway for a test drive.

All I need is to add some expo to aileron; raised the gain similar to F550.
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Last edited by sidneyw; Feb 23, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:38 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Dec 2012
82 Posts
naza assistant software issue? CANNOT UPGRADE FIRMWARE to 2.02

Hey guys,

the assistant software tells me i must upgrade to 2.02 from 2.01.

in this video:
http://youtu.be/SF7NokjeNws?t=1m47s
I can see that the 'upgrade' button is in step 2, but i cannot get to step 2.

the attached screenshots are what I'm seeing. the text etc is all wonky, none of the buttons work in the menu except for 'try again' which just runs step 1 again (second screenshot).

anyone know why? I'm guessing this is a computer issue - i'm on win7 via VMWare Fusion on a retina mbp.

FYI I've tried rebooting windows as well as my machine, and have reinstalled about 20 times.

If anyone knows a workaround that would be awesome.

thanks!

UPDATE: solved the problem - it was just a windows issue...the text was displaying too large.
Right-click the desktop, screen resolution. in there there's a link that says 'make text larger or smaller'. make it 100% and re-open the program and it works.
updated the firmware and ready for the next step!
jaredstanley is offline Find More Posts by jaredstanley
Last edited by jaredstanley; Mar 04, 2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: found solution.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:47 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
The screen shots showed you are in Fail-Safe.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:08 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Dec 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
The screen shots showed you are in Fail-Safe.
thanks!

1)...what is failsafe mode?
2)how do I control it? ie what do i want it on and how do i get it there?

EDIT: i have the Spektrum dx6i tx and the Spektrum ar600 rx
jaredstanley is offline Find More Posts by jaredstanley
Last edited by jaredstanley; Feb 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: more info
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:18 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredstanley View Post
thanks!

1)...what is failsafe mode?
2)how do I control it? ie what do i want it on and how do i get it there?
Hey jaredstanley,

Please,

DO NOT APPLY POWER OR ATTACH PROPS UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THE MANUAL ENOUGH TIMES THAT YOU DON'T NEED TO ASK SUCH A QUESTION. ADDITIONALLY, READ THIS THREAD STARTING AT PAGE 1.

If this sounds cold or harsh, sorry. I'm just trying to stop the bleeding before it starts.
Thank you.
mark_q is offline Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:13 AM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
jaredstanley, like Mark said don't attach the props.

DX6 and AR600 are not fail-safe ready. You have to understand the setup first. Using Dx6 or any 6-ch receivers likely Fail-safe is out of the question. It seems your radio of the U-Channel is programmed to Fail-Safe. You can activate gyro gain channel (5) to setup the flight mode; since that is no 3-position switch on you radio you can only use two flight modes instead of 3 - Manual, Atti and GPS. Use Heli mode and the normal, Idle up 1 and 2 to set the flight mode, so that it is out of Fail Safe in the assistant slider.

Another way is not to hook up anything but the Naza controller; use flight pack 4.8v battery to power the controller.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 24, 2013, 03:09 AM
Joined Feb 2013
5 Posts
Hi everybody! I just finished up my naza f450 kit. nice kit, easy build. The only problem popped up when I first armed the motors to check rotation. They surged and revved when in atti mode but responded fine while in manual.
Upon further investigation, the accelerometer (g) does not reset to zero in tools/calibration- the numbers are stuck. Z is stuck to -15.6g which explains the revving symptom, I guess it thinks it's falling. It gives me an abnormal lmu alarm on the calibrate screen.
Is this a common issue? Do I have a DOA Naza?, and how difficult is this going to be to get resolved
Thanks in advance.
vtolpaul is offline Find More Posts by vtolpaul
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:33 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,568 Posts
It stays at -15.6 even after you press the IMU calibration button ?

Also if you throttle more than 50% in ATTI mode without the props, it's normal for the motors to rev up, because the Naza will "try to climb" and will rev up to 100%, because without props its not going anywhere but it will try to
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:21 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Just having a look at the new naza with gps I picked up last week and have a couple of questions:

Pretty sure my first one came with 4 little tabs of 3M, one for each corner. The new one has 2, should I mount it with 2, one on each end, or cut them to make 4? It seems that the tape and how it holds the FC on is pretty important, so I want to get it right.

Is is imperative to have the FC dead center on the frame/board when using the GPS? I mounted my other one dead center but have seen where others have it on one of the side tabs.

thanks
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:23 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Just having a look at the new naza with gps I picked up last week and have a couple of questions:

Pretty sure my first one came with 4 little tabs of 3M, one for each corner. The new one has 2, should I mount it with 2, one on each end, or cut them to make 4? It seems that the tape and how it holds the FC on is pretty important, so I want to get it right.

Is is imperative to have the FC dead center on the frame/board when using the GPS? I mounted my other one dead center but have seen where others have it on one of the side tabs.

thanks
If you don't have the FC on the CG the x and y accelerometers will pick up movement when you yaw (pirouette), and the FC will try to correct that. The net result is that you won't pirouette about the center, but will make a circle around the center. The bigger the offset the more likely you are to encounter the dreaded TBE.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:28 PM
United States, VA, Fairfax
Joined Dec 2012
1,243 Posts
Not related entirely to naza...but I'm getting some CF boom arms for the future. Do I want a round circle in the center or just a regular square with 1.5mm walls. The square version is 50% cheaper than the circle center squared tube.
v00d0o is online now Find More Posts by v00d0o
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:58 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyw View Post
jaredstanley, like Mark said don't attach the props.

DX6 and AR600 are not fail-safe ready. You have to understand the setup first. Using Dx6 or any 6-ch receivers likely Fail-safe is out of the question. It seems your radio of the U-Channel is programmed to Fail-Safe. You can activate gyro gain channel (5) to setup the flight mode; since that is no 3-position switch on you radio you can only use two flight modes instead of 3 - Manual, Atti and GPS. Use Heli mode and the normal, Idle up 1 and 2 to set the flight mode, so that it is out of Fail Safe in the assistant slider.

I have a list of Spektrum receivers known to have the appropriate failsafe for use with a NAZA on my blog.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:31 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2012
124 Posts
What would cause a constant right yaw? I cant decide if maybe a boom got slightly askew after a crash last fall or if I somehow something in the Naza is not calibrated correctly. I've attached a few photos
Stumptownflier is offline Find More Posts by Stumptownflier