Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:48 AM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
664 Posts
Turnigy 9X at HK

See below.
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Last edited by CN I Dawg; Jan 14, 2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: HK lied. Upon checking further, no Turnigy 9X delivered
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:00 PM
Chris R
United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2009
713 Posts
Rangelink failsafed today . was 5km away and 5m above the ground.
Cir2kuk is offline Find More Posts by Cir2kuk
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Nov 2010
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cir2kuk View Post
Did you get it back Ok? Were you still line of sight or were obstacles in your way?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:05 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,661 Posts
Quote:
How did you maintain a video link that low to the ground and far away? Setup?

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:15 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
If you want to use the ESC for another project without an external BEC, then carefully lift the tang holding the contact in the plastic connector and remove the contact. Isolate it with shrink sleeving and it will live another day. Otherwise, just cut the Pos. lead if you will never use ESC in any other configuration.
Yeah this is what I planned to do, I just needed confirmation that I was going about it the right way.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Yeah this is what I planned to do, I just needed confirmation that I was going about it the right way.
hey mate

hows the build coming along? all finished yet? (apart from the bec thing that is)

gime a yell when you're going to maiden, I'll come along for a fly

cheers
p
PMRfly is offline Find More Posts by PMRfly
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:53 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMRfly View Post
hey mate

hows the build coming along? all finished yet? (apart from the bec thing that is)

gime a yell when you're going to maiden, I'll come along for a fly

cheers
p
Yeah good, I've flown it FPV a few times already, just have to change out the rx for the RL and set it all up. I'll need to build my GS too, I get home this arvo so should get a start on it all tonight! I'll most likely want to test it all this week sometime.

Looking forward to getting some distance with all the new set up that's for sure!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
787 Posts
Quote:
5m/5km ,too low...
sid.huang is offline Find More Posts by sid.huang
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
TURNIGY Voltage Protector

i had a few grams left over in my most recent HK order, so i picked up a few of these.

can anyone tell me if these are safe to use with rangelink?

does anyone use them? never used them before myself..

TURNIGY Voltage Protector:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16223
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Nov 2010
664 Posts
Turnigy 9X

FYI - I had great frustration trying to find the 9X for a reasonable price. Then I bumped into this http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=120843982034.
This seller has many sales going and you may still be able to get a 9X for unheard of price of $43 USD including free shipping. I got shipped notice from ebay. Should be to Cali. in about 1 week. I will advise quality at that time.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Nov 2010
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMRfly View Post
i had a few grams left over in my most recent HK order, so i picked up a few of these.

can anyone tell me if these are safe to use with rangelink?

does anyone use them? never used them before myself..

TURNIGY Voltage Protector:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16223
This large cap should not hurt radio BUT if you have continuing brown outs you need to understand why. Also, this is for 3S voltage and the cap will stay charged after you turn off power. The cap will only protect against minor, instantaneous voltage drops not an over all low voltage problem. In other words, it should not be necessary to use a large cap to get your system operating properly. I use Castle ICE ESC cuz they are the only ones with 5A BEC. Also, they are programmable. You can set the servo/Rx voltage to 5.5 volts and never suffer any low voltage issues. I'm sure others have advice for you. This is just my opinion.
Last edited by CN I Dawg; Jan 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
This large cap should not hurt radio BUT if you have continuing brown outs you need to understand why. Also, this is for 3S voltage and the cap will stay charged after you turn off power. The cap will only protect against minor, instantaneous voltage drops not an over all low voltage problem. In other words, it should not be necessary to use a large cap to get your system operating properly. I use Castle ICE ESC cuz they are the only ones with 5A BEC. Also, they are programmable. You can set the servo/Rx voltage to 5.5 volts and never suffer any low voltage issues. I'm sure others have advice for you. This is just my opinion.
thanks for the tip mate. well i am not sure that CAP is good for my set up. i dont know much about these things, but i think it freaked out my FY21ap. i plugged it into the uhf rx and the uhf rx worked fine in flight, but when activating rth on fy21ap, the plane went into "rtgafac" mode (return to ground as fast as can mode.. otherwise known as ahhh fac..)

the video signal dropped beyond visibility (dont know if that was related or a VTX issue) and the plane was headed directly towards the ground. luckily i had enough time to take control via LOS. note, plane had been flying very well lately with only very minor and very occasional micro brown out.

dam thing is i only saw your comments after the flight, so i guess it has to do with the fact that its a 12v and not a 5 or 6v?

anyway.. i didn't bother doing any more testing this morning, i just pulled out number 2 SW and put her in the air without a Cap.. had a nice flight too.. until the rain came in.. ;-(
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:12 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,819 Posts
I gave my SW a run today with the new rangelink system, worked really well and my range test on micro mode had me walking back past 50m till I got bored! So I think it's going to work well for me!

Bring on the FPV flights now!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:15 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,819 Posts
PMRfly, can you explain the brownouts you've been having? Are these with the rangelink? Got me worried now! Lol
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2011
1,289 Posts
I don't know exactly what it is, but pretty sure its not RL.

its either esc/bec or battery dropping voltage or FY21 mucking up.

its only happened twice on RL and they are so micro that all u see is RTH flick onto the screen for a second, then things go back to normal (RTH is my RC/RL TX/RX failsafe setting).

a friend reckons it might be the mobile phone in my pocket..