HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Yes, that was me. I made a small channel and CA'd the wires into this. Works great, but... you NEED to CA the whole assembly, including the white connector onto the wing. I had one of the wires pull out also, then noticed I needed to glue the whole thing down. Now when the wing pops off, the stress is at the connection and comes apart easily.

Great to know.
It isn't a bit difficult to connect the wing to the brick?
By the way which CA do you use?.
Thanks
supermoth is offline Find More Posts by supermoth
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Folding prop and gliding

A few days ago I was flying trying to play with some thermals and testing the gliding capabilities on the S.Surfer.It was a great day to do it ,but the plane did not want to glide as I was expecting.On one of the landings I realized that the prop was still windmilling although the engine power was off for the last 5 minutes.
Do you have any idea how to solve this?.

Thanks.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
You can fly thIs with up to a 350mAh Zippy brand from HK as mentioned in the thread, any more weight and it will be to much with the brushed motor original setup. Honestly, when I was slope soaring without the prop and spinner it was noticeably lighter and flew better.

The original charger will work. You can buy a digital charger like the Turnigy Max80 frorn HK.

Thanks for the kudos,yes great little plane that doesn't like too much wind.
I did pull the trigger and got 3 extra batteries to extend my flight times on the beach.
Thanks for your help.I will report as soon as I try them.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoth View Post
Great to know.
Thanks
After trying the channel and CA solution, I went a different way (look into page 7 under this same thread). Unfortunately, my motor got "crippled" before I had the opportunity to make extensive testing, but this solution seems to work fine and, as far as I am concerned, is easier to use if not as elegant.

As for finding a new motor set, every LHS I asked for it in Portugal turned me down (including, incredibly, the people who sold me the plane, who stated they did no carry spares for NE planes! Neddless to say, they got a very terse reply). But I am still searching.
Got a positive answer from Hobbysector for the N60 motor, asked them about the full motor set from NE (if at all possible, I would rather not need to solder the cables, capacitors, and the like - too much trouble for my hands and eyes)

G.
GLFaria is offline Find More Posts by GLFaria
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:37 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Great to know.
Thanks
Not at all difficult to connect the wires, actually it makes it easier. The best part is that the wires coming into the back of the white connector are glued down with it and hopefully will not come out again.

I used Zap Medium CA. and kicker.
studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:18 AM
Once you taste flight...
United States, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Dec 2011
2,766 Posts
I just use CA, I do not do the connector myself though. I have also done a brushless upgrade on mine, works OK just had a servo issue....
skydvejam is online now Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:53 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
Quote:
A few days ago I was flying trying to play with some thermals and testing the gliding capabilities on the S.Surfer.It was a great day to do it ,but the plane did not want to glide as I was expecting.On one of the landings I realized that the prop was still windmilling although the engine power was off for the last 5 minutes.
Do you have any idea how to solve this?.

Thanks.
Maybe it's just the propeller spinning. Not the shaft on the motor. Check that, a tin drop of CA will make the propeller stay on the shaft. But then it's a problem to take it off the shaft. If you need to change it.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:58 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
The problem is or was that we have very all grass on our field. The plane stop immediately when it touch the ground. And the wings pop off, even on nice landings. Autumn will solve this problem.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
The problem is or was that we have very all grass on our field. The plane stop immediately when it touch the ground. And the wings pop off, even on nice landings. Autumn will solve this problem.
Probably I have been very lucky because my landings are done in soft sand.
Never tried it over another surface.As I did mention several posts ago,a bit of tape over the fuselage magnets helps to keep the wing in place.
I can't wait for the batteries to arrive

Cheers.
Last edited by supermoth; Sep 13, 2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Battery endurance?

Hi there.
Just wondering what is your experience with battery endurance with stock equipment with both stock battery and 350mah.
Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:08 AM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydvejam View Post
I just use CA, I do not do the connector myself though. I have also done a brushless upgrade on mine, works OK just had a servo issue....
Did you replace all the electronics?
Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:18 AM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Maybe it's just the propeller spinning. Not the shaft on the motor. Check that, a tin drop of CA will make the propeller stay on the shaft. But then it's a problem to take it off the shaft. If you need to change it.
I did check it.The prop is perfectly attached to the shaft.This is killing my flight times while gliding.Any help with this?.
Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,084 Posts
Are you flying on rate one or two, on the transmitter? Have you tried to move the throttle trim tab down or up to see if the propeller stop at a point?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Are you flying on rate one or two, on the transmitter? Have you tried to move the throttle trim tab down or up to see if the propeller stop at a point?
That is a good question.
Till a few days ago I did not know the difference between the rates.I try to fly in rate 2.I did not play that much with the throttle trim tab.Is that important?.I am still a rookie
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
A piece of advice I always felt useful:

when everything else fails, try looking into the manual...

(I am not the author, but have known it for many many years, and you know what? I found out most of the times this is very sound advice)

G.
GLFaria is offline Find More Posts by GLFaria