Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:01 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
To help prevent 'shadowing' can put my Rx (Spectrum AR6115e) on velcro on top the butt end of the battery?

DJ
Do you mean to say that you want to attach your receiver to the battery? This would be a pain since every time you change batteries you disturb the receiver. The best possible scenario for receiver placement is as far away from the battery and ESC as possible.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:11 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
The 2.4 ghz receivers that are designated as park fliers are usually good to 1000 foot range. They are intended for small parks and the type of aircraft that can be flown in small areas. The Bixler needs a full range receiver, with it you can fly so far out that you can no longer see the airplane and still have control (wont do you much good but you can't blame the receiver).

A a satellite receiver has nothing to do with range, it is intended to provide redundancy,diversity and resistance to shadowing.

I fly my motor glider (AXN Cloud Fly) with a $5. 99 Hobby King Orange 6 channel full range receiver (no satellite). The AXN gets way up and out there, I have never lost contact.
Thank you, I won't be concerned.
DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:37 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
DJ
So I assume your are going to replace the 6115E in your Bixler with a full range receiver.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:02 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,280 Posts
I have been flying my v1 S surfer for a long time. I originally flew it with a CG of 70mm and I felt that it was a touch tail heavy and it would tend to porpoise when in a power off glide. Recently I decided to use mt Ssurfer for an fpv trainer, but to do this I want to get the plane to fly nicely in a power off glide. I came back to this thread to see what others are using for a CG location and saw a few posts about using a CG location of 60mm from the leading edge. I rebalanced mine at 60mm and took it out to the field for a few test flights. I left all control surfaces neutral, and slowly added nose weight until the porpoising in a power off glide stopped. When It finaly stopped porpoising I rechecked the actual CG and it would balance perfectly level at 30mm from the leading edge Why would the CG be so much differnt from the vast majority on this thread?? I have to say, even with it this nose heavy, it still would glide forever!
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Jun 2012
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
You can't go wrong with the 2200kv and APC 6 x 4 E prop. Just make sure your ESC is rated at least 20 - 25 amps.
sweet thanks for the replies hk order done
rcflyer1000 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer1000
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:45 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I have been flying my v1 S surfer for a long time. I originally flew it with a CG of 70mm and I felt that it was a touch tail heavy and it would tend to porpoise when in a power off glide. Recently I decided to use mt Ssurfer for an fpv trainer, but to do this I want to get the plane to fly nicely in a power off glide. I came back to this thread to see what others are using for a CG location and saw a few posts about using a CG location of 60mm from the leading edge. I rebalanced mine at 60mm and took it out to the field for a few test flights. I left all control surfaces neutral, and slowly added nose weight until the porpoising in a power off glide stopped. When It finaly stopped porpoising I rechecked the actual CG and it would balance perfectly level at 30mm from the leading edge Why would the CG be so much differnt from the vast majority on this thread?? I have to say, even with it this nose heavy, it still would glide forever!
Same here, got my sky s balnced at 60mm as well, thing is now my 22 hundereds are way up by the exit antenna hole, for your porpoising problem, try mixing some down elevator when you cut throttle, that might work.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I have a stock power system on a V1 from RMRC. I was using a 6x4 APC, but I want more thrust up here in the thinner air (7500 ft). I re-mounted the stock brushless motor on the adjustable CNC mount available for this plane and now a 7x4 APC fits. I used my whatt meter to check the amp pull and it does not seem to be much of a difference between that and the 6x4. I do not have the specs on the motor, but does anyone know what the max amp ratings are for this motor? The stock ESC is 20 amp, so It must be under that...

This is an FPV setup by the way.... AUW around 34oz with 3s 2200, but I'd like to run two in parallel later on for longer flights.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
783 Posts
Quote:
A a satellite receiver has nothing to do with range, it is intended to provide redundancy,diversity and resistance to shadowing.

I fly my motor glider (AXN Cloud Fly) with a $5. 99 Hobby King Orange 6 channel full range receiver (no satellite). The AXN gets way up and out there, I have never lost contact.
Shadowing and lack of diversity reduce max range and reliability. As range increases and signal strength decreases the reciever becomes more susceptible to interference and is more likely to drop the radio signal. Spektrum uses satellites to increase the recieved signal strength reliability and therefore range. I wouldnt call an OrangeRx reciever without a satellite "full range," HK offers satellites to go with the Orange recievers to increase range and reliablility and the comments on the product page are full of people who didnt use satellites and lost comms with their aircraft.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:59 PM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
DJ
Been using "park flier" (AR6100,Ar6110) eight of them so far and not had a problem. At a 1000ft away the plane is just a spec in the sky anyway.
Guess I like to see what I am flying, it's more fun!
jeeper1977 is offline Find More Posts by jeeper1977
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,168 Posts
Quote:
So I assume your are going to replace the 6115E in your Bixler with a full range receiver.
Yes sir, I'm going to look at the 'orange full range' from HH, maybe with sat.?
Thanks again,

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:47 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Yes sir, I'm going to look at the 'orange full range' from HH, maybe with sat.?
Thanks again,

DJ
No reason not to use a satellite if you can put it in a different location for diversity. Some have stated that they would not put the Orange receiver in an expensive airplane and i agree with this statement. And HK does not stick their neck out and say that the R610 is a full range receiver. However I fly way out there with my motor glider and have never lost control. I bought 5 Orange R610 receivers because they are cheap and so are the airplanes I use them in.

OrangeRX 610
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11965

Here is the scoop on satellite receivers and their purpose.
http://www.spektrumrc.com/dsm/techno...dfeatures.aspx

I would expect the orange satellite to work in the same way as the Spektrum. But since I do not use a satellite in my cheapo planes I cannot vouch for the Orange nor the Spektrum satellites.
Last edited by BGR; Aug 16, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:29 PM
It should fly at least once
Australia, NSW, Grenfell
Joined Mar 2006
2,572 Posts
Just for your info, I use Orange satellite Rx's with my Spektrum RX's and have found a significant increase in range over the Spektrum satellite. On a range test I have gained as much as 75% increase in distance.
clive45 is offline Find More Posts by clive45
Old Aug 17, 2012, 06:43 AM
Joined Apr 2012
923 Posts
which prop adapter are you guys using on the stock bixler motor? i tried with the 2.3mm but it wouldnt fit.
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:03 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
which prop adapter are you guys using on the stock bixler motor? i tried with the 2.3mm but it wouldnt fit.
You need to use a 3.0mm. See rctimer.com - $1ea/no shippinng chg.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 03, 2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, NJ, Jackson
Joined Nov 2011
329 Posts
Back in the air after my last repair. I think she is flying better now than when she was brand new.
Scooch is offline Find More Posts by Scooch