Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 01, 2014, 04:02 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Question
Steam oil for a Saito engine

Hello,

Soon to maiden a Chiba Star with a Saito t2-dr engine. We have just about used up the supplied "Steam oil" that was supplied with the new engine. This is a very thin red colored oil, I'm sure it must be some special stuff to lube and protect the fine little engine.

What can one use in place of the supplied oil? Is there a resource for the Saito supplied oil?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2014, 09:27 AM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
Use the commonly available steam oil, do a search for a dealer called the Train Deptartment, he carries steam oil. I have been using it for years in my Saito and other engines.
Thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old May 02, 2014, 10:04 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Thanks Steve, the Train Department look good for a source.
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old May 04, 2014, 06:36 PM
Horsham, PA
Joined Aug 2007
128 Posts
You can get Shell Valvata J steam oil from Ministeamhttp://www.ministeam.com/acatalog/Esbit.html It is inexpensive and works well.
impmotor is offline Find More Posts by impmotor
Old May 06, 2014, 02:22 PM
United States, CA, Santa Maria
Joined Mar 2012
20 Posts
Hi Bill. I would be real interested in how the shell oil works in you Saito T2. I have the same steam plant and am having trouble with the lubricator. The shell oil docent seem to pass through this particular lubricator. Although I use the same oil in other plants with no trouble. (check out my posts.)
Billkorn is online now Find More Posts by Billkorn