Old Mar 20, 2014, 04:18 PM
r46
huggin dat apex!
United Kingdom, London
Joined May 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SporadicIdiocy View Post
Ok.. just realized it doesn't come with battery.

However, I can't quite tell what plug it uses from the pictures or videos .

Also, I don't want to spend $17 for a tiny battery like that, so again I turned to HK for my battery needs.

Would this be a decent substitute?
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Lipo_Pack.html
i have one atomic cell an two nano techs this one (direct plug n go)
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=36958

do buy or make up charge/balance lead so to maintain cells nicely

which body gone for? out of box chassis set to 94mm
r46 is offline Find More Posts by r46
Last edited by r46; Mar 20, 2014 at 04:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2014, 06:12 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
453 Posts
Planning to use my Toyota FT86 body for now, I may switch to my Mclaren F1 GTR if the height allows it.
SporadicIdiocy is offline Find More Posts by SporadicIdiocy
Old Mar 20, 2014, 07:43 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
453 Posts
edit: nvm found the same battery in stock from the global warehouse.
Last edited by SporadicIdiocy; Mar 20, 2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:44 PM
r46
huggin dat apex!
United Kingdom, London
Joined May 2005
258 Posts
the f1 gtr the short back one? (i have fina body long tail which is 98mm) but the regular Mclaren is 94mm
the usa warehouse no good for you?

got few bits in today for amz & mini z

Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:54 PM
r46
huggin dat apex!
United Kingdom, London
Joined May 2005
258 Posts
fitted some parts

Old Mar 22, 2014, 05:18 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
453 Posts
Yea, the pink one from JGTC, it has a pretty low front so I'm not sure if the front tower will fit under. Have you tried yours on the AMZ?
HK's USA warehouse only ships to continental US, you'd think since Canada is just across the border they should ship here as well, but sadly no.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 04:45 PM
r46
huggin dat apex!
United Kingdom, London
Joined May 2005
258 Posts
thats a shame/odd usa warehouse won't ship to neighbouring country would bring them greater custom. The f1 gtr will fit as nose clip sits high when mounted to chassis so should have clearance. Went club today mostly ran amz as my z's where playing up for some reason, so got some hours in with car 4 packs worth had few teething problems main one was the centre shaft bearing retainer cover on both diffs kept coming off/undone, seems the screws used for cover are too short so strips thread after awhile my fix was to use a slightly longer screws. Then notice steering had rough action to it when had servo linkage rod was off, found the lower link rod was rubbing chassis due to the plastic spacers used tat to tall (had too run day as is as had nothing with me to use) now home fix done with a nut instead.
issue:

my fix:

Other issue was shell that came with car had a been chopped around arches(prevoius owner) an become weak at front as kept popping off clip temp fix was bit of tape on clip

was running 350z 94mm

now i've fitted moslar 98mm (used hop ups got alloy 98mm Central Shaft Adapter(runs on bearing) an alloy centre shaft

Next update to chassis be switching radio for flysky gt3c
amz digital servo
few more alloy parts
Last edited by r46; Mar 23, 2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 05:38 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
453 Posts
Please post pics of modifications to switch to Flysky Rx, I'm interested in doing that myself.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 06:12 PM
r46
huggin dat apex!
United Kingdom, London
Joined May 2005
258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SporadicIdiocy View Post
Please post pics of modifications to switch to Flysky Rx, I'm interested in doing that myself.
i will its a simple affair really be looks of it shall know 100% when radio arrives, was going to use my ko mars R but rx is huge even when decased for this scale an I couldn't locate a micro rx then theres aerial wire to contend with as 40fm so opted for gt3c as tz4 pairs with it an rx are cheap so ideal basher radio an marsR soley for racing

thanks to german amz owner for tip
The original RX/ESC is just connected by 3 solder points.

just unsolder the RX part (left one) and connect the ESC (right board) to the CH2 of a RX of your choice.

only thing left is to pack it up a little nicer

Have fun by using your own control
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:25 AM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
453 Posts
Nice, that looks simple enough. How's the stock Tx though? It doesn't look too bad..
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:10 PM
r46
huggin dat apex!
United Kingdom, London
Joined May 2005
258 Posts
it works fine but for me its too bulky, thottle trigger to far forward, an lack of adjusting steering speed has to go (but as drag link was rubbing it could be better now unsure till go club)
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:41 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
453 Posts
Well, the car arrived today, it was far quicker than I anticipated, ordered on 19th, arrived on 24th.

Unfortunately the batteries from HK haven't arrived yet so I can't test the car out.

Overall impression is good... though a couple things could have been done better.

First the front toe link... it is set toe-in with a solid piece of plastic tie rod, I'll have to get an adjustable tie-rod if I'm gonna drive straight. No biggie I guess.

Then there's the motor mount, it isn't clamped down all the way.. I suppose it's possible they left it like this intentionally, but I prefer if they have secured the motor mount on shipping.

I already know of the body clip pressing onto the motor so that's no big surprise, it's not as bad as I imagined, only a tiny bit of trimming is required.

My concern of the front tower was unwarranted, it fits the Mclaren F1 GTR without problem, I even put on a Ferrari 458 GT body just to see if it'll fit, and it does!

A 4WD Ferrari 458 GT
Last edited by SporadicIdiocy; Mar 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 02:00 PM
r46
huggin dat apex!
United Kingdom, London
Joined May 2005
258 Posts
the mount doesn't close fully due to plate motor attaches too. Going to alloy mount car free rolls far better i found. I can' say car holds it line well at speed now that i have +2 offset narrow front an wide rear (but +3 rear i'll be happy) i'll be using megane trophy 2010 body( once painted) an put moslar back on mr02 an r8 be going on mr03
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:52 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
453 Posts
Well I'll definitely want some different tires, the stock ones are grippy, but doesn't fit the rims that well, plus the balance is off by a little too much. Possibly due to the edges aren't trimmed properly, so it's not perfectly flush.

Won't need different offset rims for now, the Mclaren body fits pretty much perfectly with the stock ones. Using my own narrow front and wide rear tires in this pic.

As for upgrades, I think I'll just pick up some springs and different toe links then see how I like it before I sink more money into this.
I can deal with the motor mount as it is, just need to tighten it a little, car rolls fine if the mesh isn't set too tight anyway.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 08:50 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
453 Posts
Do you happen to know what version of the Hobbywing program card will work with the ESC? I have the old V1.2 card and want to know if it's compatible.