HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:27 AM
Joined Jan 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
You probably wouldn't hear anything if it was jammed. Easy way to check if the motor has slipped is pull the front cover off, Hold onto the top and push up from the bottom and see if anything pops into place. It doesn't take much force. If it does, then you know that was the problem. Good Luck.
Forgive my ignorance - when you say front cover are you talking about a cover to the motor? I haven't really tinkered with the innards much so I don't have a clue about it's anatomy...
nedski is offline Find More Posts by nedski
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:29 AM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,013 Posts
No, the front canopy. That will give you access to the inside of the heli.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:30 AM
Mile High Pilot
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined Jun 2010
1,175 Posts
Agree on checking the battery... I had a problem with mine with a Thunder Power150 pack... its a little longer than the e-flight, and if its pushed in all the way, it WILL interfere with the gears.

jc
milehighjc is offline Find More Posts by milehighjc
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:27 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,268 Posts
If you look up from the bottom when you slide the battery in, you can see where the gears are and make sure you are clear of them.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:04 AM
Slovenia, EU
Joined Dec 2006
67 Posts
Hello,
I hope this was not posted here yet..

To all who have problems with carbon tail boom vibration, there is a detailed solution by thestar22 on youtube.

It seems that main shaft is touching the landing gear, and this causes the vibration.
The solution of this guy is to place small spacers where the landing gear attaches to the mainframe.

http://www.youtube.com/user/thestar22#p/u
dreja is offline Find More Posts by dreja
Old Jan 11, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joined Jul 2007
23 Posts
I strongly suggest everyone check for this issue. I discovered it the other day due to a post on HeliFreak that suggested the same fix. I do not fly with the carbon fiber tail boom, but there is no way it is good to have the shaft rubbing on the landing skid like that. You can only really see if this is happening by removing the body and inserting a battery to check.
HWest is offline Find More Posts by HWest
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:04 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,062 Posts
I noticed the slop on my main rotor shaft as well. The slop causes the bottom of the main rotor shaft to hit the top of the battery cage.

I was at the Hobby store just right now and there were two mCX2 sitting out. One had the same degree of slop in the main rotor shaft, causing it to hit the battery cage like it does on mine. The other mCX2 was nice and tight. Very minimal play as you'd expect.. I also tested the mSR and it's rotor shaft had very tight, precise play as well.

I wonder if the collar above the bearing needs to be mounted a hair lower to pick up the slop. Perhaps the issue is due to lax tolerances at the factory when drilling the hole to receive the retaining screw for that collar above the bearing. Hope that makes sense.

Can all the mCX2 owners see if they have any up and down play in their main shaft.

I mean, instead of adding spacer to the landing skids, maybe we should tighten up the play in the main rotor shaft instead?

-Daryoon
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:18 PM
Joined Jul 2007
23 Posts
Just a reminder to anyone who may be checking for this who has not viewed the video. You have to insert a battery to check for this. The battery cage bulges up a bit with the battery inserted, so without the battery in there everything may appear fine.
HWest is offline Find More Posts by HWest
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:48 PM
Puyallup, wa.
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
I think you could make some spacers out of sheet plastic (I have in my machine shop in varied thicknesses) instead of grommets, and then not need to add any glue to landing gear.

Just a suggestion from a total noob
jeffpack1957 is offline Find More Posts by jeffpack1957
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:49 PM
Puyallup, wa.
Joined Dec 2010
50 Posts
btw, can someone tell me how to mount my cf training gear on my MCX2?
jeffpack1957 is offline Find More Posts by jeffpack1957
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:14 PM
2012 ZX14R ....faster than you
USA, NV, Carson City
Joined Sep 2006
1,769 Posts
Out-of-the-box, I made sure that there was no vertical play in my inner shaft. I did this to insure a rock solid hover. Upon inspection, after reading the above few posts, I have at least 1/32" clearance between inner shaft tip and skid brace.
Take the vertical slack out of your inner shaft and you should not have to add spacers.
CCbusa05 is offline Find More Posts by CCbusa05
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:19 PM
Joined Nov 2010
158 Posts
Mine looked like it might be touching, so I did the spacer mod. Installed the CFTB again, but it still has the same tail vibration.
TheOldFart is offline Find More Posts by TheOldFart
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:21 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,013 Posts
Instead of using spacers, why dont you just shave a little of the plastic off the center support piece? That would be the best thing, you wouldn't need any spacers or anything.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:46 PM
Joined Nov 2010
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
Instead of using spacers, why dont you just shave a little of the plastic off the center support piece? That would be the best thing, you wouldn't need any spacers or anything.
Spacers are easier, take less time and have less probability for damage. In addition, 4 extra ones come with the mCX2, so they are immediately available. Actually, I used the O-rings from the CFTB and put 2 of the spare grommets on the CFTB. Regardless, mine is back to using the entire fuselage, with the spacers in place. Took just a couple of minutes for each change.
TheOldFart is offline Find More Posts by TheOldFart
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:51 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,013 Posts
The problem with the spacers though is that unless you glue the pegs into the body, you have a greater chance of them coming out. And trust me, if you do any crashing at all, those extra grommets will be needed lol.

Also, it should only take a couple minutes to shave off a small amount of plastic off that center bar to get clearance. I really dont see it as being harder or longer than doing the spacer thing. but hey, everyone sees things differently so if it works for you then its just as good as anything else others do.