Find More Posts by Dakrat
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,261 Posts
Help!
Esc's will not arm!

Ok guys,
I putting together the VTOL Mini-SkyWalker, during this build the Escs were not working (arming) correctly.

The Esc's - King Kong 12a http://www.banggood.com/KINGKONG-BLH...p-1002347.html

KK mini

Lemon 6ch ppm receiver. I have tried both in WPM and CPPM

I have read the manual Calibrated the ESC's, radio, gyros etc several times. Esc will arm by themselves sometimes while handling plane, have check connections they are solid. I thought that I FC in wrong orientation but I have confirmed it is Right - down.

I see that I can change the wpm rate but I thought that had to deal with aircraft stability and not arming, Also I have turn the safety arming on and off to see if that would work. My buddy and I worked on it last night but nothing! We fixed several thing I want fixed but we could not arm the esc's. They beep that they have power but not the beeps that they have counted cell count then arm, this is very frustrating. I have plug them directly into the receiver but they boot up just fine and work! The only thing I can think of is that they are High speed Blelhi?

Guys up a fellow out, I know this is going to be a simple fix that I am over looking....
Dakrat is offline Find More Posts by Dakrat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:52 AM
Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
2,202 Posts
If the ESCs won't arm it is almost certainly because you are not providing them with a low enough low throttle input.

You say you are using a KK-mini, but you don't say what firmware you are using. If it is the stock HobbyKing KK-mini firmware then I can't help you, except to tell you what the problem is.

You are aparrently right on the ragged edge of providing a low enough throttle input as you say it arms sometimes.

I would go look at the basic flight controller setup in terms of giving the flight controller the proper range of signals that it needs, especially throttle. This will likely go back to your TX programming.

If you want to know for certain what I going on, I suggest you buy a servo tester with a digital Pulse Width readout. You can also do this with a scope if you have one. Servo testers of this sort are extremely useful in general, and worth having in your tool box for life.

I have not used this one myself, but it appears to have the necessary functionality:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Tester_.html
Ran D. St. Clair is offline Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:11 PM
Find More Posts by Dakrat
Sky good, Earth bad!
Anchorage
Joined Dec 2005
1,261 Posts
Sorry, I am using version OpenAero-VTOL Firmware (V1.3), Thought that's what everyone was using here.

Now that I think off it here are some other details: DX9 radio, motors are blue wonder 1500kv and my template file
Dakrat is offline Find More Posts by Dakrat
Last edited by Dakrat; Jan 28, 2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Dec 2006
2,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrat View Post
Sorry, I am using version OpenAero-VTOL Firmware (V1.3), Thought that's what everyone was using here.

Now that I think off it here are some other details: DX9 radio, motors are blue wonder 1500kv and my template file
In that case, you need to go to the Receiver Inputs Menu and check all the values when you move the sticks. Throttle should go from 0 to 2000. Elevator, aileron, and rudder, should go from -1000 to +1000. The transition control input, usually a 3 position switch, should go from -1024 to 0 to +1024.

When OAV is disarmed, or the throttle stick is below 2.5%, motor outputs should go to 1ms pulse width. This is way below (more than adequate) to arm any reasonable ESC. If your throttle stick input does not go below 50 per the Receiver Inputs Menu, or you have the FC set to Armed mode, then this feature will not activate. Even so, for motor outputs the pulse width should go to 1.1ms at full low throttle stick, which is also plenty low to arm any reasonable ESC.

I note that you are in Armable mode.

You might temporarily set OUT1 and 2 to A Servo and connect a servo to make sure they are at least responding as you would intend.
Ran D. St. Clair is offline Find More Posts by Ran D. St. Clair