Old Jan 20, 2016, 04:24 PM
Find More Posts by sumobob
Bob Bayless
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Mar 2003
101 Posts
Discussion
Gator RC's new 81" Spitfire

I was looking for a replacement for my 81" Hangar 9 Spitfire. I found that Gator RC was importing this Spitfire Mk IX 81" Warbird all Composite By TopRCModel. It looked good so I decided to take a chance on an unknown model and buy one.

http://www.gator-rc.com/spitfire

The following pictures show some of the component details of the kit. All control horns are fiber glass. The canopy is in two parts, a frame and then a separate glass section. The cowl looks very good with very nice exhaust pipes. Note the hardware, this kit come with ball links for all servo horn connections. The paint work is excellent too.

As I assemble this kit I will post more pictures. So far I am well pleased with it. I plan to power it with an E-Flite Power 160 on 12S 5000ma.

More to come, Bob..........................
sumobob is offline Find More Posts by sumobob
Last edited by sumobob; Jan 20, 2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Missed a picture
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2016, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by dsa44
United States, OH, Chagrin Falls
Joined Apr 2013
850 Posts
Really like that plane Bob! I went with the Seagull spitty but if it doesn't fulfill me, well, then maybe next year...!
There is more info here too
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=toprcmodel

Good luck with the build, it really looks like an awesome kit and a power160 with a biela 3-blade will look great.
Cheers, DSA
dsa44 is offline Find More Posts by dsa44
Old Jan 20, 2016, 07:59 PM
Bob Bayless
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Mar 2003
101 Posts
Gator RC Mk IX 81" Spitfire

Here are pictures of the motor mounting area of the model. The model is designed to allow for a piston engine or electric. As the model comes out of the box you can see the firewall and top attached to the motor box. None of these parts are glued. This is to allow you to remove the original firewall and top and then to slide the included electric mounting box into place. his allow for a much longer battery box. It may be that no additional weight will be needed to balance the model. I purchased the battery tray that is offered. Time will tell, see the pictures. Bob
Old Jan 24, 2016, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by mups53
Hoffman Estates IL.
Joined Oct 2003
204 Posts
Hi Bob
Thanks for posting about this plane we import.
The response to the plane has been very positive so far.
Many are building them with anything from a 35 to 50 CC Gas Engine.
I did my personal one like you are Electric.
Mine has a Himax 6330 210 Pro that we offer as a package deal running on a 5S x 2 to make 10S Power Unlimited 6000 mAh pack.
Goobs of power.
Eventually I want to add a sound system to add the cool factor.
Glad you like the plane.
We have many still in stock and more coming as well as the 93" Zero and 89" P-51D.
Check us out at Gator-RC.com
800 380 9373
Mention this thread and I'll make it worth your while.
Mike Mueller
mups53 is offline Find More Posts by mups53
Old Jan 31, 2016, 06:42 PM
Bob Bayless
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Mar 2003
101 Posts
I finally had time to get back to the shop so here are more pictures and my comments.

The wing mounted servos are mounted in an aluminum angle bracket. Easy installation. You only have to drill the holes for the mounting screws in the wing. The servo screws are supplied and the brackets are tapped for them.The covers are easy, I had to trim to fit my arms and the ball links. This time I bound my receiver to the transmitter and then plugged into the servos to set them up before I assembled the entire model. Seemed easier this way.

I purchased the optional battery tray. It did not come with instructions but looking at the pictures on the web site answered all of my questions. I glued and clamped the lower slide rails as shown.

I installed the rudder and elevator servos. I aligned the rudder servo by putting a piece of music wire into one of the plastic guide tubes and then was able to place the servo so it would be centered on the 4 cables.
Old Feb 01, 2016, 04:10 PM
Bob Bayless
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Mar 2003
101 Posts
Today I finished the battery tray installation. First I trimmed the cross braces so that the tray would sit on the rails for the full length. Then I applied two layers of masking tape to the outer edge on top of the tray. Then the tray was placed into the fuse and the top rails glued. Once the clamps were in place the tray was removed and the tape removed from it. This way the tray will slide easily.

Next I fitted some pigtail plugs into the fuse so that the flap and the aileron servos will plug into the fuse rather than having pigtails dangling out of the wing root.

Finally here is a picture of the retract pigtail being assembled.