Old Oct 26, 2015, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by Ricomon
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
844 Posts
Dang. Well, at this point it could be a motor issue, receiver issue, or even a transmitter issue. If you were a couple thousand miles closer, I'm sure we could sort this out. Unfortunately, it would cost a fortune in postage to ship it across the country twice. I'm hoping somebody closer to you will chime in.

Rick
Ricomon is online now Find More Posts by Ricomon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2015, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by diyflyer
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Oct 2014
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanF View Post
When flight testing day came to be I was again let down when I learned that although the rotors would spin and it would respond to Tx input, the darned thing would not leave the ground. The main rotor would spin up progressively to full power, the tail rotor would hesitate to begin and then fluctuate in its speed, but the copter would just sit there on the ground with no vertical or lateral movement at all...
This is a fixed pitch bird, so assuming that your rotor head is assembled correctly, with no missing screws or misplaced linkages, it should begin to lift off at a point that is considerably below full throttle. This means that you are not getting as much power out of that battery(or the motor) as you should be. Ricomon covered the bases there. It's too bad that you don't have a v911 as well, you could test with that transmitter and eliminate the transmitter as the source of the problem.

Your description of the tail rotor action seems to indicate that *it* is working properly, the tail rotor on the v915 should only spin up when the helicopter itself begins to rotate, or in response to rudder inputs.

If you aren't quite ready to throw in the towel, you might want to post a couple of close ups of your rotor head just in case the problem is something silly, like a missing screw.
diyflyer is offline Find More Posts by diyflyer
Old Oct 26, 2015, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by kiwi_craig
Slideways at warp speed.......
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Mar 2014
3,467 Posts
a sheared drive gear screw or sheared rotor head screw, gear or head is slipping on the shaft.......... had this happen.............. otherwise a dead motor - bad brushes, no power, also had this happen after about 40 flights, one of the reasons I went brushless......
kiwi_craig is online now Find More Posts by kiwi_craig
Old Oct 26, 2015, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Meyer
United States, OK, Goldsby
Joined Jul 2012
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I started with WL toys and guess what.. they are fine. Problem is one line and four different protocols.
I count five protocols these days, not counting the ones where they changed their funky "extensions", so that you can fly it with the V959 Tx, and turn on the lights, but trying to put it in flip mode kicks the main motor into overdrive. Or something like that.

Mine hasn't got two circuits on it yet. It was so pretty for the little time it flew that I haven't given up yet, but I'm having trouble finding the motivation to replace the servo's that died on (after fixing the Tx, and then replacing the main motor).

I'm with you in general - I don't buy WLToys unless their is something special about them. My V911 still flies and is fun indoors, and my V959 flew until I dissected it to figure out the protocol for the accessory connections. The V323 was fun once I got it on a good Tx, but the motors on that line seem to die a lot, and again - I'm having trouble finding motivation to fix it. That's more a general shift of interest away from aircraft than the V323, though, as I have a number of birds not getting fixed while I work on other things. The V323 will probably be one of the first two fixed when that changes.
Mike Meyer is offline Find More Posts by Mike Meyer
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,136 Posts
Like I said I started with Xideda 9958's/ V911's/ then V929 quads. Then WL toys started with other protocols. bought Genius c/p with Devo 7 and never looked back. That TX has flown solid for thee years. Now I have Devo 8s also. One TX flys all my helis/ quads.
We all get warm fuzzies over early helis and learn to fly. If WL toys stayed with fly-sky protocol who knows. Point moot now as fly 450's/250/300's. WL toys offers none. still stuck in first gear sorta. My biggerst heli is Blade 500 D. No toy TX here. WL toys are fine if ya think small and all you can handle.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 21, 2015, 05:00 PM
Joined Oct 2014
92 Posts
According to the FAA the v915 qualifies as a drone requiring registration. My modified unit weighs .77 pounds, considerably more than the .55 FAA limit.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,136 Posts
V915 is super stable easy flyer. Unless you fly outside in public I would not worry about this heli. I fly one inside house once in awhiule thats it.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Dec 21, 2015, 09:40 PM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyflyer View Post
According to the FAA the v915 qualifies as a drone requiring registration. My modified unit weighs .77 pounds, considerably more than the .55 FAA limit.
Take a look at what the FAA actually says about model registration. Follow these rules, and you don't have to register. The limit is 55 pounds, not .55 pounds.

Rick
Last edited by Ricomon; Dec 21, 2015 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Bad information. FAA had an outdated link.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:08 PM
Joined Oct 2014
92 Posts
That page is essentially out of date. From the new FAA FAQ:

"Q10. Which unmanned aircraft may register under the new registration requirements?

A. Unmanned aircraft weighing less than 55 pounds and more than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) on takeoff, including everything that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft and operated outdoors in the national airspace system must register. These aircraft may register under the new web-based registration system.

Q11. Is there a weight limit on what requires registration?

A. All owners of small UAS weighing more than 250 grams (0.55 lbs.) and less than 55 lbs. must register using this new system

Q12. Do children's toys need to be registered?

A. Not if they weigh below 250 gm/0.55 lb. or less. Most "toys" the FAA has identified at a purchase price of $100 or less have been determined to weigh less than 250g. You can find more information in this Recreational UAS Weights document (PDF)."

Above 55 pounds is considered to be an *actual* aircraft by the FAA, as opposed to a model.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:11 PM
USA, SC, Charleston
Joined Oct 2002
844 Posts
I stand corrected. Thanks for that link. I looked up UAS on the FAA site to find the outdated link. They should probably remove the old page.

Hey, at least it's only one registration per pilot, not per aircraft.

Rick
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:23 PM
Joined Oct 2014
92 Posts
Yeah, the registration requirements are not onerous, IMO. The fine for non-compliance seems potentially excessive.

I'm not sure how this will help with irresponsible operators though. They'll be the ones who don't bother to register and are thus much more difficult to track down if they cause harm. I'm guessing that the people who are actually fined will tend to be those who are simply ignorant of the requirement to register.

Did you notice the "Q56. If a drone crashes in my yard what do I do?

A. Call local law enforcement."

Jeepers. Beware of bad neighbors if you fly in your own yard.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:45 PM
Find More Posts by Mr.Atkins
United States, WV, Charleston
Joined Jan 2014
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyflyer View Post

Did you notice the "Q56. If a drone crashes in my yard what do I do?

A. Call local law enforcement."

Jeepers. Beware of bad neighbors if you fly in your own yard.
Well, then. What if you crash your own drone/heli/plank in your OWN yard? Does one call them then? Maybe the cops can help you find all of the parts?
Mr.Atkins is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Atkins
Old Dec 22, 2015, 01:16 AM
Joined Oct 2014
92 Posts
Give that a try and let us know how it works out.
Old Mar 03, 2016, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
3,137 Posts
I think this thread should be brought back to life again. What do you think?

Still a nice looking, and not bad flying heli.
HeliFlyer14 is online now Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old Mar 03, 2016, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by kiwi_craig
Slideways at warp speed.......
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Mar 2014
3,467 Posts
you can turn it into a stunning flier with the FX 071 / 078 driveline and FX071 PCB + brushless main mod........

in fact parts are so cheap you can build one dirt cheap in this spec.......
kiwi_craig is online now Find More Posts by kiwi_craig