New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2004, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by Jiwer
Odessa, TX
Joined Feb 2004
69 Posts
Elevon mixing - Where did I go wrong?

On a model that has elevons (Gym-E), I'm instructed to set the controls so that when I move right, both elevons go right and when I move left, they both go left. Pull the stick back, they both go up...etc

I've set the hitec (flash 5) to elevons and it's working correctly as far as up/down. However, when I move the stick right, the right elevon raise and the left lowers, resulting in it turning left. When I move the stick left, it goes right.

I've unplugged the servos and switched them - channel 1 to 2 and vice versa as well as servo reversing.

Any ideas where I goofed?
Jiwer is offline Find More Posts by Jiwer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2004, 09:35 PM
Find More Posts by BrokinBalsa
Sacramento,Ca
Joined Jul 2003
66 Posts
It sounds to me like thats correct ........If you turn right, the right elevon raise to push the wing down on that side,
BrokinBalsa is offline Find More Posts by BrokinBalsa
Old Mar 07, 2004, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by FrankW
Danger! Danger!
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Dec 2002
1,977 Posts
Re: Elevon mixing - Where did I go wrong?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jiwer
I've set the hitec (flash 5) to elevons and it's working correctly as far as up/down. However, when I move the stick right, the right elevon raise and the left lowers, resulting in it turning left. When I move the stick left, it goes right.
That's the way it should go. But when the right elevon raises and the left lowers then you'll turn right and vise-versa.

-Frank
FrankW is offline Find More Posts by FrankW
Old Mar 07, 2004, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by Jiwer
Odessa, TX
Joined Feb 2004
69 Posts
Ok, let me check everything out tomorrow and see what happens. It simply didn't look right to me this morning when I was mentally trying to figure out which direction it would go.

I was hoping to maiden today but only had a free moment a little while ago. I gave it a quick toss in the backyard to see if my earlier observations were true and it didn't appear to go the right direction. I'll try again tomorrow with more daylight and more time. Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 07, 2004, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by BrokinBalsa
Sacramento,Ca
Joined Jul 2003
66 Posts
Yes It can be confusing , Well GL on the maiden!
BrokinBalsa is offline Find More Posts by BrokinBalsa
Old Mar 07, 2004, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by theKAT
Bloomington, IL (Hell's Cornfield)
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
Jiwer,

Make sure you are using the correct mode. Actually, I think you would need to use V-Tail instead of Elevon mode for the Gym-E.

The surfaces should move as you described in the manual, ie they should both swing the same direction for left and right and they should both go up for up elevator and down for down elevator.

The Gym-E is lots of fun and a very stable flyer. While flying mine indoors one day, I trimmed the rudder for a slight turn, set the power to hold altitude and set the transmitter on the floor. It made three or four orbits before it began to sink slightly and I picked up the controls again.

Karl
theKAT is offline Find More Posts by theKAT
Last edited by theKAT; Mar 07, 2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2004, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by theKAT
Bloomington, IL (Hell's Cornfield)
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
My mini-review. Hard to believe it's been almost 2 years now. I still have the Gym-E. Great for calm evenings

Gym-E Mini Review
theKAT is offline Find More Posts by theKAT
Old Mar 07, 2004, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by columbiarcdude
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Oct 2000
725 Posts
The Gym-E does NOT have elevons ... its a v-tail and has whats called ruddervators ... rudders and elevators combined. For setting things up for turns, it really helps if you think RUDDER not aileron.

Quote:
I'm instructed to set the controls so that when I move right, both elevons go right and when I move left, they both go left. Pull the stick back, they both go up...etc
This is from the instructions that come with the kit and they are correct. You are close to having it setup right. All you need to do is swap the servo plugs and reverse the aileron servo direction in the radio.

I know ... when you have it setup right it looks backwards (up and down are the same though) ... but it's not ... trust me. I've got over 300 flights on mine.

I've attached a pic of my Gym-E flying indoors at a hockey rink last fall.

Karl ... it was your review of the Gym-E that prompted me to get mine. I got one of the early batches of kits ... it sure is terrific plane for calm summer evenings, it's cool indoors too . I've upgraded mine and now use a Nippy 0508 and Kokam 1020's ...

Tom
columbiarcdude is offline Find More Posts by columbiarcdude
Last edited by columbiarcdude; Mar 07, 2004 at 10:41 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2004, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by Jiwer
Odessa, TX
Joined Feb 2004
69 Posts
Thanks again for the help. I was hoping to be able to fly before I leave town this weekend and now I'm not so sure about that.

I'm too tired to think about it now but I'll try adn figure it all out tomorrow or the next day. I've enjoyed building the Gym-E though I'm sure it's not up to the fine building standards you all employ. I took a snapshot of it today before I destroy it figuring out the rudder issues lol
Old Mar 07, 2004, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by cpurick
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Feb 2004
65 Posts
V-tail mixing is different from elevon mixing.

With elevons to the right, both surfaces would deflect left, pushing the plane clockwise around the roll axis.

With v-tail mixing, pushing to the right deflects surfaces to the right, sending the tail to the left and pushing the plane clockwise around the yaw axis. For the plane in the picture you want to use a v-tail mix. The manual is correct, and it sounds like you need different mixing logic.
cpurick is offline Find More Posts by cpurick
Old Mar 07, 2004, 11:49 PM
Find More Posts by Jiwer
Odessa, TX
Joined Feb 2004
69 Posts
I even played around with that too cpurick. As it turns out with my flash5, it puts one rudder on the left stick and one on the right. If there's a way to make it work both on the right stick, I haven't figured it out.

Off to sleep.
Old Mar 07, 2004, 11:56 PM
Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Tee Sqaured
Langley, B.C, Canada
Joined Jun 2001
4,548 Posts
this help?

(veiwed from rear)
Thomas Manson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Manson
Old Mar 08, 2004, 12:01 AM
Find More Posts by Phreakish
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
usually, ailerons and elevator are on the right stick. Setting up mixing can be a pain - just play with swapping which servo is on which socket, and which one is reversed.

The only real difference between Vtail and elevon mixing is which two channles are affected (thats why you see aftermarket vtail mixers, but how many elevon mixers do you see? they do the same thing )

Just go ahead with elevon mixing, but you'll need to get it going the opposite way when you turn. This means that you need to swap the two servos (like you said), then play with the reversing (which you said you did, but it probably just wasn't quite right).

Its a little confusing, but once you get it sorted, its pretty simple Make sure your endpoints and such are all programmed the same too.
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish
Old Mar 08, 2004, 10:57 AM
Find More Posts by Jiwer
Odessa, TX
Joined Feb 2004
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Manson
this help?

(veiwed from rear)
Thanks Thomas, that does help. I'll keep messing with it like Phreakish says and get it right.
Old Mar 08, 2004, 11:34 AM
Find More Posts by FLYWINGFAN
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
Hi Jiwer,
I to have a flash 5. Do not try to make it your v-tail work with elevon. Switch to v-tail (come on its a computer radio, how hard can it be )and it will be much easier. With the flash 5, just make sure your servos are plugged into channels 1and2 and vtail is enabled. if you push left stick and they both go right reverse channel #1. If when you push downstick and they both go up, reverse number 2. Good luck.
-Sam
FLYWINGFAN is offline Find More Posts by FLYWINGFAN