New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by ZeroEx
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Help!
Vendors for Hobby Shop?

I recently opened a small hobby shop with the intent to carry everything from treading cards to models to gas powered rc cars. So far, I only the trading cards/board games due to not being able to find a proper vendor for quality RC Cars, parts, etc.

Horizon Hobbies looked like the best option, but in the end I found out they require an exorbitant amount of money in products to be carried in your store. Are there any other vendors who can provide me with what I need? I've been all over the internet but not really seeing anything that sells to stores like mine.

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum and I appreciate your insight.
ZeroEx is offline Find More Posts by ZeroEx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
You have picked a tough row to hoe. Horizon and Great Planes are about the only distributors left. As you have found out they both wabt you to spend an arm and a leg to get started. You should be able to get set up directly with some if not most manufacturers in the US. A good place to start is in the thread here "Made in the USA" that lists most US manufacturers and contact info. Good Luck with your new biz.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by 4*60
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
4,264 Posts
Become a HobbyKing outlet?
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by ZeroEx
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the thread you mentioned.

Does anyone know why they insist on such massive amounts of product in the store? I couldn't get a straight answer out of them?

I have a decent demand in my area, but $25k+ is asking a lot.
ZeroEx is offline Find More Posts by ZeroEx
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
$25K will eliminate most of the garage operators and go a long way toward proving that you are serious. Considering a "good" hobby shop will have $1,000,000.00 plus in inventory, it really isn't all that much. Years`ago when I was working for the Riders store in Kalamazoo, MI. we took inventory in Feb while the place was still half empty from Christmas and still had close to a mil sitting on the shelves. For a LHS to make it these days you need to have it on the shelf. Nobody wants to be told " we can order it for you ". The consumers can order it themselves if you don't have it. The real money is in the stuff on the pegboard hooks, the $2-3 bags of hardware will make you a better profit than that $300 radio or car kit. Again Good Luck

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn