New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2016, 08:22 AM
Find More Posts by mgutzmer
Almost retired
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Jul 2011
200 Posts
OK, I'm gonna have to proof read a little now and then. I am gonna wait until the winter winds are over here in Florida. It's also too cold here, it was 39 F this morning. Since moving to FL, I cant take the cold anymore, I have grown accustom to the warmth.
mgutzmer is offline Find More Posts by mgutzmer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2016, 05:15 AM
Almost retired
Joined Jul 2011
200 Posts
I found the data sheet for the Swift, which shows the CG for the 85 & 125 HP motors. It all falls between about 29 and 34% depending on the motor.
Attached is the file
Old Jan 27, 2016, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by flyerinokc
Expert in sawdust production
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Aug 2007
2,230 Posts
Thanks Mike!
flyerinokc is offline Find More Posts by flyerinokc
Old Feb 01, 2016, 09:04 AM
Almost retired
Joined Jul 2011
200 Posts
I'm waiting for a dry day to add a coat of clear to the wing. So I used the bathroom scale to get a all up weight on the craft. I know it is not accurate but I got 21 Lbs., so I have a better one on order.
And as the photo will show, it is nose heavy. The balance point should be at 5 3/4 inches. I measure around 3 inches. it will take more than an ounce on the tail to fix that. but I think it is flyable the way it is.

I also penciled in an idea on how I would do the next build. This would be easier and be stronger than the original plans.
Old Feb 01, 2016, 10:57 AM
Joined Aug 2007
2,230 Posts
Mike, I like you modification idea and have documented it.
Old Feb 01, 2016, 10:53 PM
Almost retired
Joined Jul 2011
200 Posts
After pulling the wing from the fuse this afternoon I had a problem. It was stuck a little, then it came off and a 4 inch long strip of paint, cloth and resin striped to the bone. It is under the saddle, but it is hideous! It will take a week or more to repair.
Top that off with a mistake I made at work last night. Mistakes are not to be made where I work, especially when the customer (goverment) is watching.
Old Feb 02, 2016, 08:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
2,230 Posts
Man that sucks on both counts!
Old Feb 02, 2016, 08:49 AM
Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Returning From Hiatus
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,449 Posts
That appears quite nose heavy IMO. I wouldn't even attempt to fly it that way. If it were to break ground, you're likely to not have enough elevator authority.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
Old Yesterday, 04:23 AM
Almost retired
Joined Jul 2011
200 Posts
OK, changed the battery position from just forward of the CG to about 8 inches behind the CG. Tucked under the rear windows over the servos of the rudder and elevator. No way possible to move anything else back. I know it will still be a little nose heavy so I might have to add one or two ounces to the tail. Hate like hell to do that.
Haven't tried the wing in place yet. Paint is drying slowly here in Florida with 80 or 90 % humidity and temps in the 60s.
Hopefully soon I will have some time off. Not one day missed since June, and many of the weekends worked both days. Did last week and will again this week. But I have asked for the 12th off and no weekend work that weekend. My brother is flying down from Minnesota and we are going to the boat show in Miami that weekend. Get to see how the rich and famous live.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Joined Aug 2007
2,230 Posts
You might try an accelerator/hardner in your paint next time?
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,240 Posts
UV does wonders for speeding up cure times. If you get some sun, even with cool temps, set you model outside for the day.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Today, 02:17 AM
Almost retired
Joined Jul 2011
200 Posts
If I have the chance I will put it out in the sun. But for now, since I am doing the repair in one spot I am using a 40 watt bulb between coats. Almost ready to finish the repair and give that whole left side a clear coat. (humidity permitting) But I am in no hurry to attach the wing again until that paint is completely dry for about three days. Then a coat of turtle wax.
Old Today, 03:49 AM
Almost retired
Joined Jul 2011
200 Posts
I found a web site that has 360 degree views of cockpit interiors at the Smithsonian national air and space museum. The Swift is among them.
https://airandspace.si.edu/explore-a...s/cockpits.cfm
Old Today, 04:15 AM
Almost retired
Joined Jul 2011
200 Posts
here is a screen capture of one view. And it has something I never saw before. A crank handle at the top of the panel just above the air speed indicator. I dont know what that is.
Old Today, 05:11 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgutzmer View Post
If I have the chance I will put it out in the sun. But for now, since I am doing the repair in one spot I am using a 40 watt bulb between coats. Almost ready to finish the repair and give that whole left side a clear coat. (humidity permitting) But I am in no hurry to attach the wing again until that paint is completely dry for about three days. Then a coat of turtle wax.
I suggest that you wait, before waxing Give the paint a chance to thoroughly cure out. I like to wait at least a month, placing the model in the sun, as much as possible, in the meantime.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump