43 Posts
looks awesome!
lipdaddy is offline Find More Posts by lipdaddy
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:07 PM
Find More Posts by burnineyes
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined May 2009
99 Posts
Oh yeah. Im not a big fan of short course, but I am very glad to see an update to the RC18 platform. Hopefully its great so I can finally stop hearing about how good the $300 Traxxas ReNo/Blash is.
burnineyes is offline Find More Posts by burnineyes
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:20 AM
Find More Posts by rcphreak
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,529 Posts
problem is its not in the same class as the mini revo/ slash .
as its much smaller . so it would be like compairing an apple to a grape . but i dont think thats the idea any way . the rc 18 line of cars had but one major flaw drive train !! maby with the belt system as stated they can now handle brushless power .
that was the only reason i got rid of mine . tired of replacing diff units .
nice to see a revised drive train .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by burnineyes
United States, FL, Seminole
Joined May 2009
99 Posts
Hmmm, I have 3 RC18 models I race for different tracks/track conditions. All of them have brushless/lipo power and stock diffs. I dont run 8000kv with 3s, but Im going plenty fast enough for one of these minis. I guess trying to go 60mph with one the diffs may not last long.
burnineyes is offline Find More Posts by burnineyes
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by fastmax
RCP Me!
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Nov 2007
2,053 Posts
Yep same here, been racing an 18B with a Mamba 5400 on 2s lipo for several years now on stock diffs and have never had a single issue.
fastmax is online now Find More Posts by fastmax
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:26 AM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,529 Posts
alot of guys see the u tube clips of these little cars going ballistic speeds and want the same . but the problem is the u tube videos are on ly a couple minutes .
and what my self and most are looking for is a fast reliable car . witch on 3 cells lipo and 8000 kv motors is not possable . as its like taking a bicycle and putting a small block chevy mounted to the side . fast yes but reliable . nope i would recommend to any one wanting a fast any thing a 5400 kv brushless is more than capable of propelling an 18 / 16 scale car into the 50 - 60 mph range . and still maintain reliablilty . like most of my friends did got an 18 t and directly put a 9200 kv in it on 3 cells and well you know the out come . they spent more time replacing diffs and spurs , and dont for get tires . than driving the cars . and thats no fun .

moral of the story is make a reliable fast car you can have fun with not work on because you put the biggest motor you could find . you will be much happier . no matter what the car .
Old Feb 01, 2010, 04:09 AM
Find More Posts by Air-Jon
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
1,876 Posts
I just ordered one at tower...It will hopefully show up sometime between now and March. I am building a 1/18 scale track behind my workplace...a few coworkers have RC18b/ts and Losi Mini Ts. We will be enjoying lunchtime races on a 20x30 foot track!
Air-Jon is offline Find More Posts by Air-Jon
Old Feb 05, 2010, 12:50 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
1,876 Posts
I recieived my Novak Mongoose Brushless set for my SC18...now if the truck was only here
Old Mar 05, 2010, 06:28 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
1,876 Posts
We finished our 1/18 scale track behind work...and now I get to watch my friends have fun with their RC18s at lunch Come on SC18!!!

That is Ok...I make fun of the clicking sounds they make from the rocks in their spur gears. I can wait a little longer for a sealed drive-train.

We will see if the Mid March date Tower is showing will hold?
Old Mar 05, 2010, 08:38 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
1,876 Posts
Now Tower is showing early March? Guess that is good.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:44 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,529 Posts
keep us posted on how it runs and some pics of the drive train please .
Old Mar 14, 2010, 09:54 PM
world's slowest builder
CA
Joined Oct 2006
1,876 Posts
SC18 is here!!!

My SC18 arrived last friday. Overall I am very happy. This thing is tough. It has survived several high-sped incounters with curbs and brick walls...and teaching my wife to drive...being attacked and bitten by my dogs...etc! Only a cracked bumper so far. It is quick stock. I have not put the NOVAK 13T brushless in yet. Stock batt is 1100 NiMh...and it comes with simple "wall-wart" charger.

Drive train: seems great...very quiet and smooth with the belts. I like the the cam-style pinion-gear meshing with clamp. It is hard to see the gear mesh though...unless I am missing some other way to see the gears. I just meshed the gears by feal/free-play. IT DOES HAS THE SLIPPER CLUTCH!

Handling: It turns awesome! THis is where the low ride height/longer wheelbase shines. I can't wait to get it one the track at work. The only negative for me is how low it rides...you can't drive it on any rough surface...only street or groomed track...which is the intetion of the design...I was just a little surpised about the 3/8inch ground clearance. It is pretty much a rally car with a short-course truck body. THe smallest rocks will upset the SC18 while off-road

I wish there was a little less free-play in the steering. Despite the play...the SC18 tracks straight...so the castor-angle must be just right.

Radio: I like the XP3-SS radio system a lot! The TX feels quality. The throtle ATV knobs are nice so I can lmit the top speed when rookies take her for a spin. I cut the antenna tube down to bout 1.5 inches so it is all under the body. This is plenty of antenna for 2.4 at the ranges I drive this thing (close).

Other: The bumpers are nice and very functional. This thing is really tiny! I already have bumpers and tires on order.

I highly recommend this vehicle...but only get it if you drive a groomed course (no rocks) or carpet track. If you want an all-terrain vehicle...get the RC18B/T2

Jon
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:22 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,529 Posts
from what i ve seen in short trucks they dont have a lot of ground clearence at a stand still but have a ton of shock travel as if taking a jump the wheels will drop a good bit to soak up the jumps is this not the case with the sc18 ??