SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
Question
Landing Gear

I need some landing gear to support 30lbs, does anyone have any suggestions.

Thank you
matchpoint is offline Find More Posts by matchpoint
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:10 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,603 Posts
Pretty hard to recommend anything without knowing any details of the model but, as 30 pound models are common place, chances are pretty good something is available to fit your needs. Maybe a bit more info would help us to help you.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
well its a 1 off design. I am not sure quite what would help. The whole plane is 7.7 feet tip to tip. and 3 feet in length. Needs to support 30lbs, something as lightweight as possible would be beneficial. I am not sure where to even start, because its not a premade model
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:13 PM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,077 Posts
High/low wing, single/multi engine, fixed/retractable gear, air/electric preference etc. It's alot easier to narrow it down with at least a basic idea of the airframe configuration. It's a bit like walking into a tire shop and just telling them you need a tire and not telling them what car/wheel size etc.
tsymonds is offline Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:02 PM
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
high wing, multi engine, prefer retractable unless insanely expensive, air/electric doesnt matter
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:03 AM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,603 Posts
Robart, Sierra Giant Scale, Spring Air, Shindin Machine, and a host of others all make retractable landing gear systems that will support 30+ pounds. What sort of geometry is required? Do the gear retract into the wing like a B-24, straight back into the engine nacelles (Like a DC-3 for example) or some other way entirely? We really want to help you matchpoint but you're not making it easy!
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:01 AM
Joined Oct 2012
129 Posts
I apologize, its hard to really give specifics. A triangle stance would be suffice. The gear would actually retract inside the fuselage itself ( all three retracts).
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:38 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
137 Posts
Try Bruce at Century Jet Models. Sketch up what you want with measurements send it to him and let him weave his magic. Have done this in the past with very impressive results.
Kevc is offline Find More Posts by Kevc
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:15 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
well its a 1 off design. I am not sure quite what would help. The whole plane is 7.7 feet tip to tip. and 3 feet in length. Needs to support 30lbs, something as lightweight as possible would be beneficial. I am not sure where to even start, because its not a premade model
Why don't you post a pic of it, that would be easiest to give you an advice. With the size above, at it sounds like a flying brick, IMO, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:18 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
I've got a 2 main gear set of Model Aviation Products retracts I could sell you. Good for 30lbs.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:45 AM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
high wing, multi engine, prefer retractable unless insanely expensive, air/electric doesnt matter
Hi matchpoint, like the others I am having difficulty in imagining the model but it sounds like a flying wing with that length - maybe four pusher motors ?... but also as has been said, it does sound heavy for that size. You're not carving it from solid balsa are you?

I am building a 100"+ twin model at the moment with a target weight of about 10 pounds - for which I am using the RCLander gear from HK - which is my kind of price.

The main electronic gear manufacturer for heavy-weights is Lado so far. None of the others I have come across offer anything close to 30 lb gear sets - there just isn't enough of a market to make it worth their while. Lado are in the 150 per leg area - which is what I would call 'insanely expensive' - but worth a look if that doesn't frighten you.

Retracting main legs into the fuselage with a wingspan of about 90" is going to put some serious stress on whatever gear you choose, which, as you say it's an own design, I would think also merits a redesign.
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings