HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:39 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
My helpful firend who has been buying and storing till I have funds/permission to treat myself is kinda full or I would secretly get one.

Did I mention they have two of them in stock, one has a possible 3 in 1 unit fault, not sure about the other one, I would be happy to forward one if either of you wanted one.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:41 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
Hmm.... you can get a spare 3in1 from xheli.com (in the US...)

http://www.xheli.com/ek-002358.html
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:57 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
My helpful firend who has been buying and storing till I have funds/permission to treat myself is kinda full or I would secretly get one.

Did I mention they have two of them in stock, one has a possible 3 in 1 unit fault, not sure about the other one, I would be happy to forward one if either of you wanted one.
Appreciate the offer, but I am not as much of a tandem collector as Robo is for example. I have a Twister Skylift which I ordered from heliguy (UK) for my birthday (I think 2 years ago, might even be 3 by now ...) and which I did a paint job on that took me several weeks to complete ... (in all little steps) ... just to see all my dreams dashed when it only survived 20sec on the maiden flight before it crashed wildly into a table (well, to be exact, the steel legs of the table) in our conference room (for a reason that is beyond me until this day) ... anyway, the canopy/fuselage in this case now looks like the back got hit by a sidewinder or something ... ... ...

... and I have a Balde tandem NIB that was never even opened (got that on a special when they officially got discontinued ...

... but I guess that is it for me as far as tandems go (except maybe another one if I find a CP tandem once I am skilled enough to fly those ... if that EVER happens [unlikely looking at how I currently do with my mCPX]

E2

EDIT:
btw, this was the paint job:
http://www.rcl-tv.de/photo/1697/nasa-chinook-737
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erdnuckel2; Aug 01, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
Ooooh... the venerable Twister Skylift! Scotsoft warned me about this one...

Here's a review back from 2008 in case anyone's interested in heli archeology like me:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934957

I might pick one up sometime to add to my collection.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:29 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
Thanks for the info there robo, really beginning to tempt me but I really have to not spend at the moment, I'm surprised I was given the green light on a 15 heli.

Wasn't this Esky Chinook under powered etc or something like that?

Shame about your skylift Erd it looked really good

I saw a really good video made with a skylift, the guy who made the video said that most of the clips were just luck and it's really not as good to fly as his video made it look.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
Quote:
No. That was the huge (in comparison) Walkera 38# that was reportedly underpowered.

The Esky Tandem is not underpowered. It does require some tuning to get the CG right (mainly moving the battery tray forward or backward). It may also require some tuning on the gyro pot to make the rudder control smooth but otherwise flies well enough. The one thing you have to watch out for is blade strikes. Do not pump the cylic to make the heli pitch violently as you will cause blade strikes and these blades will severely chip themselves if that happens. Otherwise it flies fairly well. I've flown it outside in no wind and it's pretty fun. It also doesn't have any LEDs and thus is very easy to disassemble and work on.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
Still though, I will say that the best Tandem to start out with is the Eflite Rescue. A lower-end version of that is the Nine Eagles Twingo. These two helis are very forgiving when it comes to crash landing. They have springy landing gear and they have very flexible fuselages. I've bounced them off the ground a few times with absolutely no damage.

On the other heand, the Esky Tandem will break landing gears if you crash land it (and once again you'll chip blades!) The Walkera YS8001's fuselage will crack badly if you crash it. Fly these two when you're more confident in your flying abilities.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:42 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Here are a couple of Chinook videos that inspired me when I first watched them.

RoboHeli, please sit down, one of them is a Walkera - see I wrote it
(a private joke guys)

Boeing CH-47 Chinook RC Helicopter -Twin Engine Tandem Rotor (2 min 27 sec)

Large scale rc Chinook (2 min 29 sec)

The next video is not a Chinook or any other tandem but it is one cracking video to watch so I hope you will all forgive me for posting it here.

Insane Helicopter Pilot (3 min 35 sec)

Enjoy your viewing gentlemen

John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
Quick! Someone take Scotsoft's temperature!!!

I love that big gas-powered Chinook in the middle. I just wish that they could have done more with it than just hovering around in ground effect. However, I certainly don't fault the guy for being cautious. I'd be cautious too if I put that much work into building something.

As for the other two, I don't know which one scares me more... the one with that insane pilot flying that unwieldy beast up around and over the vegetation like that---or the one with the guy piloting the real helicopter. Seriously, that 38# video makes me very nervous. I would not want to fly one around people like that. It's a *big bird* AND a coaxial which means it won't have the ability to fight wind if a big gust comes up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:50 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,004 Posts
ok, I really cannot resist any longer ...

Trex tandem chinook 1 (3 min 30 sec)

(and thats not even the good vid that actually listed where you can get the stuff from ... )
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:57 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
I remember that one as well, those were the days when nothing was off the shelf, it all had to be built

Oh, and it cost an arm and a leg

John.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:03 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Quick! Someone take Scotsoft's temperature!!!
It is rather warm right now lol

I'd be cautious too if I put that much work into building something.
That will be how you fly Walkeras then
Oops, sorry, you said building - not rebuilding - my mistake

As for the other two, I don't know which one scares me more... the one with that insane pilot flying that unwieldy beast up around and over the vegetation like that
I'll have you know that was my first helicopter flying lesson - rofl

---or the one with the guy piloting the real helicopter. Seriously, that 38# video makes me very nervous. I would not want to fly one around people like that. It's a *big bird* AND a coaxial which means it won't have the ability to fight wind if a big gust comes up.
I agree totally with you here, that one made me very uncomfortable when I first saw it for the same reasons

John.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,894 Posts
LOL!

Great video as well, E2! That's really inspiring.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
187 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info there robo, really beginning to tempt me but I really have to not spend at the moment, I'm surprised I was given the green light on a 15 heli.

Shame about your skylift Erd it looked really good

I saw a really good video made with a skylift, the guy who made the video said that most of the clips were just luck and it's really not as good to fly as his video made it look.
Wow, one nice lookin Chinny there...
Getto Bird is offline Find More Posts by Getto Bird
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Jun 2012
187 Posts
Great vids John. The first one I've check out before. The Ch-46 Sea Knight is my all time fav, and strong second is the Ch-47 Chinook. So that second vid was perfect. The third one was "Dayum" that guy can fly...

-Rick
Getto Bird is offline Find More Posts by Getto Bird