Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,245 Posts
Help!
Stinson Reliant

I am looking for a Stinson Reliant that I can power/convert to electric power. I do not want a foam airplane. I would like an ARF between 50 and 90 inch wing span. Where can I purchase a good model (Black Horse, Jamara, Kyosho, etc.) here in the USA?
Thanks,
Vic
Iflyrc_vic is online now Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,694 Posts
Offhand I don't know of an ARF Stinson Reliant other than the 100" wsp Troybuilt/Ecom model which is currentlly out of stock and costs $529.00.

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items...R9-100AAF.html

If you have some balsa model building experience, Pat Tritle has a 57"wsp SR-10 short kit intended for electric power that may interest you. It is not a beginner's build model and is a somewhat delicate floater

http://patscustom-models.com/Stinson%20Reliant.htm

Here's a pic of my Tritle SR-10 modified into a Pepsi-Cola SR-7

I would like to see someone like Maxford USA come out with a .40-sized light ply ARF Stinson Reliant, maybe someone will.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM
Joined Oct 2000
11,694 Posts
I have sent Maxford USA a message suggesting that they come out with a scale-like .40 size Stinson SR-7 or SR-8 version ARF Reliant for electric power with special attention to wing attachement, wing struts, and landing gear.
Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM
United States, CT, Hartland
Joined Jul 2011
114 Posts
E-Challenged,
I have Pat Trittle's SR-10 on my list of possible future builds, so I am curious as to what you mean by: "... a somewhat delicate floater"

Al
aymodeler is online now Find More Posts by aymodeler
Old Today, 04:32 PM
Joined Oct 2000
11,694 Posts
If built and covered as-designed, model will weigh about 28 ounces and is a floater like many of Pat's designs in the free-flight RC assist tradition. My model is much heavier(X2) as the result of much cabin modification and detailing, inlaying of nose and fuselage cabin areas, and beefing up of landing gear structure. The wing strut attachment at wing and fuselage consists of nylon hinge parts and wire retaining pins. Wing halves have internal tubing which plugs onto protruding tubing and magnets to hold wings to fuselage root rib. The wing strut attachment design and wing tube/magnet features are OK for a light weight version although the wing strut attachments are "fiddly" and require very accurate installation. The design of the flaps and getting them installed and operating properly is also a bit tricky. Pat admitted that this design was easily the most complex model that he had designed and it is not a good beginner's project. If you do actually build this one, recommend you read through both build threads first and refer back as needed:

I had the right wing strut attachment break away from fuselage and right wing slid off in mid-flight, my fault for building a much heavier version The rebuild took me 6 months.

Pat's build thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180144

My build thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=tritl+reliant
Last edited by E-Challenged; Today at 04:38 PM.
Old Today, 06:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
194 Posts
Stinson

Built it and broke it at least 50 times!! The wood he uses is very light and brakes very easy. Mine was 2 lbs. when finished. Wouldn't recommend it to a new builder. Buck
Buck Shot is online now Find More Posts by Buck Shot
Old Today, 07:22 PM
Joined Oct 2000
11,694 Posts
Maxford replied, said that there are a number of Reliant models available, no plan to offer one. I replied to their reply stating that other than Tritles balsa short kit, there are only the Top Flite 1/4 scale SR-9, and the Ecom/Troybilt giant scale gas powered $595 ARF that is on back order. The Park Zone foamie SR-10 has been discontinued.